Cube 2: Sauerbraten (and the case of the Arena FPS sub-genre)

Icarus

Phantasy Savior
I've just discovered a nice free Arena FPS (you know, the multiplayer-focused ones like Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament) that is called Cube 2 and I had some fun with it (there are still people despite being an indie 16 years old open source freeware game).

Sadly this genre is pretty much deserted (it's not as popular as during the late 90's and early 2000's), even the newest UT got abandoned by Epic Games (to focus on one of the most known Battle Royale game) and Quake Champions had some troubles getting the same fame as the previous games (like Quake Live). In conclusion this thread is for both this game and the others from the same genre.

PS: I also play Xonotic (a fork of Nexuiz) and Warfork (a fork of Warsow) as well.

I think I messed around a long while ago with what was probably not 2 but the original Cube, which came in one of those CDs computer magazines loaded with free stuff (mostly trash, lol).

Was faaaar too young to have any idea of what online play even was, but I remember liking the possibility to edit the map sectors (a la Zone Builder) in real time from within the game, by opening up some editing console. Pretty sure they kept that in.

I also liked whatever you could play against bots I guess, again, as a little kid.
Oh and, Sauerbraten, the dish, is delicious. =p

I really like this game. Though I haven't touched it in 3 years I think.
The netgames are phenomenally fluid and fast. The availability for Linux and Mac and it being open source is a big plus.

I like the instagib mode the best, sniping opponents out of the air is real fun. I loved seeing my aim hit the mark in this game.

There once was an interesting fork called tesseract bringing more modern graphics and optimizations however development seems to have stopped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fOpHRrOBJQ

I was never too keen on Warsaw and the likes where the whole jumping techniques got too complex. I guess I just want to shoot stuff. Guess that explains why I am more of a Halo guy.

I didn't know Quake Champions had troubles. I was under the impressions it had some loyal followers.

If Jellybones is still prowling around here, then he remembers how good it was to listen to the droning metal soundtrack while building volabos. Cube 2 was some good times

Oh and, Sauerbraten, the dish, is delicious. =p
Haha, I learned to cherish German dishes while I was in the US and there wasn't bread to my liking available.
But yeah, it's delicious ;)

Come to think of it, I think the name choice was never elaborated on. Maybe it sounded very hardcore to the creators...
Still, loads of fun.

Come to think of it, I think the name choice was never elaborated on. Maybe it sounded very hardcore to the creators...
Still, loads of fun.
It was basically because they ate that while thinking for a name for their game. It was also an emphasis on the German aspect of the game too.

On a side note I've started to play Unreal Tournament (the first one from '99) and the solo campaign is pretty fun.

I even think that the world building and lore is better than Quake 3 Arena but to the price of having a slower game and a better team-based action than single player one

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back