SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2014   #21
Yacker
Metallic

I decided to try it again, and for some reason, it runs way better now. Possibly even better than srb2win. Getting 35 fps on 960x600 consistently through-out THZ2. Unfortunately, the full-screen problem happens with me too. The black bars break the aspect ratio, making it look really ugly.
Old 04-07-2014   #22
Lat'
Stop it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yacker View Post
I decided to try it again, and for some reason, it runs way better now. Possibly even better than srb2win. Getting 35 fps on 960x600 consistently through-out THZ2. Unfortunately, the full-screen problem happens with me too. The black bars break the aspect ratio, making it look really ugly.
You mean there aren't any resolution that fills your entire screen?
Old 04-07-2014   #23
Yacker
Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC. lat' View Post
You mean there aren't any resolution that fills your entire screen?
Yeah, pretty much. Even though they should, srb2 seems to lock them at an awkward ratio that makes it look ugly and not-filling.
Old 04-07-2014   #24
Ors
Custom User Title

This is just amazing!

You can see many of the software mode features in OpenGL! I'm gonna use this when I play!
Old 04-07-2014   #25
Klinx the Weasel
a.k.a Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinx the Weasel View Post
4. My usual joystick works perfectly, but when I tried to select a second one the game crashed immediately. Crash report: http://pastebin.com/DHEabRMj
Another thing I found out: while the second controller is plugged in, the buttons on the first one don't work. (Even though the joystick movement does.)
Old 04-07-2014   #26
Lat'
Stop it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmint View Post
I found another crash issue. Unfortunately this is a hang crash so there's no errorlog or RPT.

If any sound effect attempts to play while the current tunes is an MP3, the game will hang forever and I have to kill it via task manager.
I didn't had this issue while playing New Horizons which has MP3 musics.
Old 04-07-2014   #27
Lilly

Gave the joypad controls a go on WINE, and nope, that was a bust. The axis works, but no button input whatsoever. It's probably to be expected, but figured I'd put post that here.
Old 04-07-2014   #28
Pure-Fat Inc.

My laptop's OS is Windows 8.1 64-bit.

1) Good, but with less quality.
2) Slower than srb2win.exe.
3) The same, which runs bad (in software mode).
4) I use my Xbox360 controller (don't have two) and it doesn't work in this exe: the camera looks down, the buttons doesn't work. Moving only works, which I do with the left stick.
5) It works really well since I can't do this in srb2win.exe.
Old 04-07-2014   #29
Starbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ors View Post
This is just amazing!

You can see many of the software mode features in OpenGL! I'm gonna use this when I play!
That's not OpenGL. The -opengl flag is non-functional. It's still running in software mode.
Old 04-07-2014   #30
Puppyfaic

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

1. I can't switch between Fullscreen and Windowed, but I had this problem in srb2win anyway so w/e.
2. Same as everyone else. Feels slower.
3. Runs much worse. I can only get around 24 frames per second in GFZ1 at 1440x900, the same resolution I run srb2win at, and srb2win gets full 35 in every zone. Even the title screen lags. Doing a little more testing, the game runs smoothly up to 1024x768, where it starts to take a dip, and runs at around 31 or 32 FPS in GFZ1. Every resolution afterwards becomes increasingly less smooth. 960x600 and 800x600 are the optimal resolutions for me, as it can handle THZ2 and only dip to around 31 frames at the most complex parts.
4. I don't have a second joystick to try this with, but the one I use works just fine.
5. Alt-tabbing and the Windows key work just fine.

However, there is one problem I got that is very, very weird. Sound for srb2sdl2 is only coming out of the left headphone on my headset. In srb2win, I get sound from both headphones.
EDIT: Nevermind. It decided to apparently fix the sound issue all by itself after a reboot.
EDIT2: Trying to join a server causes the game to hang for me. Not sure if this is to be expected.

Last edited by Puppyfaic; 04-07-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2014   #31
Klinx the Weasel
a.k.a Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirblord23 View Post
EDIT2: Trying to join a server causes the game to hang for me. Not sure if this is to be expected.
I've yet to get into a server either. I just assumed netplay wasn't supported yet. I tried to join one server and it started trying to download srb2.srb. @_@
Old 04-07-2014   #32
Rex The Kitsune
Annoying Purple Dude

Tested it with Windows 8 x64
Everything worked properly, although I did experience minor slowdown at points with many objects onscreen.
Old 04-07-2014   #33
CyanS
Hey!

I'm glad that this is not a AFD joke. So I have just tested it on Windows 7 x32 and it work properly I think.

Is what we see in this screenshot only possible when OpenGL is supported?(Or maybe this one was a joke.)
Old 04-07-2014   #34
Inazuma
likes to assault raccoons
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cyan View Post
*I don't want to repost what this guy just posted*
I can't believe this. I- I honestly can't believe this.
Old 04-07-2014   #35
fevermario

this version works with fraps in software mode. and it runs faster at higher resolutions
then the default exe in software mode. i,m useng windows 8.1 64 bit
i was able to run it up to 1600 x 1000 without having any slowdown except in areas with a lot of stuff in them or really complex areas

Last edited by fevermario; 04-07-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2014   #36
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Just tested this, here's my results:

1) Switching between video modes works fine, and the same with between fullscreen and windowed.
2) Mouse look feels slightly slower than in the current vanilla version, mouse move feels the same.
3) Full-screen runs slower than vanilla in my monitor's native resolution, which is saying a lot since it runs pretty slow in vanilla compared to open gl anyway
4) Trying to switch to my PSP in gamepad mode crashed the game, and on my Gamepad Pro USB only the axes worked, none of the buttons.
5) Alt-Tabbing worked fine.

A side note: the sound on this version no matter what driver I use has the same bug I had in 2.0, where if I had a WAD that altered sounds or added them (maybe just WADs in general), the sound would become incredibly laggy. Something in 2.1 fixed this, but somehow this broke it again.
Old 04-08-2014   #37
Torgo

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Intel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz, 6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3, 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 625
  1. It seems fine, but for some reason I can't select 1920 x 1080.
  2. Feels slower, but no problem easy enough to adjust
  3. Runs about a billionty times better than software in normal srb2
  4. One joystick works fine
  5. Alt-tabbing works well
Old 04-08-2014   #38
Metal96
spaghetti coder

Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Athlon X4 @4.1GHz, 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @1.6GHz, AMD Radeon HD 7800 1GB @860MHz, all on an MSI mainboard with some crappy Realtek integrated sound card

1. Switching works fine, but the fullscreen breaks over my two monitors and splits the screen down the middle--even if the resolution is smaller than the monitors' (No other games, nor Vanilla SRB2, do this). This makes it basically unplayable in fullscreen. Also, the resolution of just one monitor is unavailable (1280x1024--I set vanilla SRB2 to this and it fills one screen and blanks the other); ironically, none of the resolutions available actually scale evenly to one or both of my screens... My largest resolution available is 1920x1200 and I have strange ones too like 1360x850.

2. N/A

3. Frame rate is MISERABLE (5-10-ish (about what it looks like, see below) fps on all levels, no matter the resolution) and the audio is unlistenably choppy. This renders it even more unplayable than just the screen split thing. It's important to note that it REPORTS framerates of about 25fps, though I can see that the actual refresh rate is much, much lower--like I said, it's unplayable.

4. N/A

5. Works fine. (yay, at least something works over here...)

Also, it reset my default resolution to 320x240 for no apparent reason.

Last edited by Metal96; 04-08-2014 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Forgot something potentially important.
Old 04-08-2014   #39
akirahedgehog
Toasty!

Furyhunter, I can test on Mac for you if the source code can be provided or if Alam can build a binary for it.

Old 04-08-2014   #40
AlamGBC
WOO! GO ME! YAHOO!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akirahedgehog View Post
Furyhunter, I can test on Mac for you if the source code can be provided or if Alam can build a binary for it.
https://github.com/STJr/SRB2/tree/sdl2

3DS FC: 0473-7778-0919
Closed Thread