How to make character mods in SRB2 Kart?

I want to get into character mods but don't know where to start. I know there's a post in the wiki about making characters for SRB2 but I don't know how accurate it is anymore as it's old, plus it's probably not the same for the kart version. I was wondering if anyone knows where I should look for tutorials, or even just some tips on which programs I should use?

Also, this is my first post here so I don't really know the etiquette, would it be wrong to leave a message about this on a character mod post or would it be okay? If there was a way to text users I would just do that but there isn't and I'm not sure if it's considered off-topic for those threads. Thank you!

Welcome to the SRB2 Message Board, sugaroplum!

The wiki tutorial is actually pretty up to date, but SRB2 Kart uses an older sprite system, so ironically it's not too useful for that reason. Currently the easiest way to make a character is with Kartmaker, which simplifies the process as much as possible! It's also completely acceptable to look inside others' character addons using SLADE to learn how to make one manually (so long as you don't plagiarize their spritework, of course).

It is in fact possible to message other users here privately, just click on their username and an option should present itself on a dropdown menu.

The wiki tutorial is actually pretty up to date, but SRB2 Kart uses an older sprite system, so ironically it's not too useful for that reason. Currently the easiest way to make a character is with Kartmaker, which simplifies the process as much as possible! It's also completely acceptable to look inside others' character addons using SLADE to learn how to make one manually (so long as you don't plagiarize their spritework, of course).

It is in fact possible to message other users here privately, just click on their username and an option should present itself on a dropdown menu.

Thank you so much for all the information! I'll definitely check those out. That's interesting how SRB2 Kart uses an older sprite system, I had no idea.

Sorry for replying to an old message, but how can I possibly take a model using slade and edit it? theres a model that I want to use as a base for something I want to make, is there a way I can use slade to extract the sprite models?

[...] how can I possibly take a model using slade and edit it? theres a model that I want to use as a base for something I want to make, is there a way I can use slade to extract the sprite models?
If by model you mean a 3D model... these aren't made out of sprites. These are made of tridimensional meshes.

You'd need to use some software that can open whatever model you are looking at (I don't know what format the model you're looking at is in, so it's up to you to figure it out) and then read documentation on how to export some angles as image files you can use.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back