How do I make certain levels for certain characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WellDoneSnake

Yoko Shimomura
Does anyone know how I can make certain levels apply to certain characters? (I'm doing this for one of my mods)
For example STH360; Sonic has his own story, Shadow has his own story and Silver has his own story.

I think the only way to do that is to use ForceCharacter.

If I use forcecharacter I will have to either make one complete story with shadow and silver or make shadow's and silver's stories hidden unlockables.
Thanks for helping but I know what forcecharacter is and what it does.
I want to create a character select screen with Sonic, Silver and Shadow, the sub characters (e.g. Tails, Blaze, Rouge etc.) will just be skins and will only work when a script with the forcecharacter command is in a level.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Do I need to edit to source code then?

If I use forcecharacter I will have to either make one complete story with shadow and silver or make shadow's and silver's stories hidden unlockables.
I want to create a character select screen with Sonic, Silver and Shadow, the sub characters (e.g. Tails, Blaze, Rouge etc.) will just be skins and will only work when a script with the forcecharacter command is in a level.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

If you want it so when you choose shadow you will play shadows story then, yeah you have to edit the source. If you want it so you first play shadows story (or level) then rouges story (or level) just do forcecharacter = 4.

If you want it so when you choose shadow you will play shadows story then, yeah you have to edit the source. If you want it so you first play shadows story (or level) then rouges story (or level) just do forcecharacter = 4.
Thanks, I guess I will edit the source (which means I have to make a new thread asking if people know how to edit the source properly).

If you use force character in one level, you won't be Sonic for the entire game. You can just set up the next level header to force character another character and it will work. There is no need to edit the source code... Also, why make the other stories unlockables? Just start of the other story from where the first story ends.

Last edited:
Actualy you could just make a hub world with a ton of custom exits.
I actually had that idea in my head, but I might make a separate wad with that idea.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

If you use force character in one level, you won't be Sonic for the entire game. You can just set up the next level header to force character another character and it will work. There is no need to edit the source code... Also, why make the other stories unlockables? Just start of the other story from where the first story ends.
I thought of putting the stories in unlockables but I wanted to script a savefile (like in doom2, old srb2xmas) if I was to follow that idea.
Does anyone know how to script a savefile? I checked wiki but I found no answer.

I thought the answers in here seemed a bit off, so I asked #srb2fun for clarification. If it helps, you can probably have a small common stage to open the game off with, but use character-specific linedef executors to punt each character off to their own exclusive level progression. I have absolutely no experience with that, tbh, so if you need help with that, either consult the wiki or ask the people in #srb2fun who told me about this (Prime 2.0, I think).

I don't think you can specify custom secrets as of right now.

I thought the answers in here seemed a bit off, so I asked #srb2fun for clarification. If it helps, you can probably have a small common stage to open the game off with, but use character-specific linedef executors to punt each character off to their own exclusive level progression. I have absolutely no experience with that, tbh, so if you need help with that, either consult the wiki or ask the people in #srb2fun who told me about this (Prime 2.0, I think).

Thanks so much, I know exactly how to do that (btw this isn't sarcasism),
That's brilliant, may I ask how do you talk to srb2fun.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

(Off Topic) Btw I managed to make a custom secret using XWE.

You get an IRC client, you connect to irc.esper.net, you join #srb2fun.

I'd pay attention to the rules there, though, because there's usually a quicker turnaround time for enforcement of them than there is on the board.

You get an IRC client, you connect to irc.esper.net, you join #srb2fun.

I'd pay attention to the rules there, though, because there's usually a quicker turnaround time for enforcement of them than there is on the board.
Thanks again Shadow Hog, I'll make sure you get credit for helping me with my mod.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Now the only thing I have to do is edit the source code, and try to create a dynamic 2d mode like in Pac's SRB2Colors mod.
However I'll rely on your knowledge when it comes to the experimental stuff in SRB2.
And everybody else in this thread I'd like to thank you guys as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back