How to put OpenGL on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanPie

Skilled at being bad!
I'm somewhat new to SRB2 and I heard about openGL being superior to normal so how do you set it on?

Is it in the main menu like MM8BDM or you have to set it up?

Last edited:
and I heard about openGL being superior to normal
Sure, if you can deal with a lack of certain visual effects, any colormap-based effect being completely incorrect, some surfaces being flat-out invisible, the renderer still being nearly as CPU-bound as software... I mean, proper perspective is definitely a perk, and it's still mostly usable.

But this isn't a place for me to soapbox about renderers. If you wanna use the OpenGL renderer, run whichever EXE you prefer running the game with using the -opengl parameter. The full command will look something like this:

srb2win.exe -opengl

(If you aren't sure how to do this, if you open SRB2's folder in the file explorer, make sure you don't have any files selected, and right-click an empty space while holding shift, there should be a context menu option that says "Open command window here". Then you type that in there. Alternatively, type it into a Notepad file and save it in your SRB2 folder as "opengl.bat" or whatever you'd like to call it; the .bat means it acts as a command, or technically a series of commands, to run in a command prompt.)

Do keep in mind that the renderer is still missing a lot of features, and isn't officially supported by most of the dev team (over soft, anyway), so some things might not work properly.

Last edited:
Isn't there a batch file that comes with the install that runs OpenGL for you?

Isn't there a batch file that comes with the install that runs OpenGL for you?

There is one. Also if your screen repeats multiple times, or if you take weird black-n-white screenshots while using OGL, use it with SRB2DD instead of SDL. (I'm myself having both issues with my crappy laptop.)

Now I attempted to turn on OpenGL but now it says "The program can't start because fmodex.dll is missing from your computer."So I deleted the folder in the notepad but I still have the same thing.

If you had trouble living because you were missing an organ, do you think you'd fare any better by gutting all of them from your body instead?

Also you can use an launcher to open the game with openGL and start it up with wads already added!

That must be a problem of your graphics card, I'm not sure but thats what i've heard people speaking about. I recommend you to use OpenGL when a new update comes out, if the problem persists them I'm affraid you can't play OpenGL mode with the device you have.

There is one. Also if your screen repeats multiple times, or if you take weird black-n-white screenshots while using OGL, use it with SRB2DD instead of SDL. (I'm myself having both issues with my crappy laptop.)
The batch file seems to be missing from the game folder entirely, in the new version installer i just downloaded the batch file doesn't come packed with it.

The batch file seems to be missing from the game folder entirely, in the new version installer i just downloaded the batch file doesn't come packed with it.
this thread is from five years ago. it's so outdated that the game's renderer can be changed mid-game, by going into the Video Options, and flipping the Renderer option to whichever one you want.

um

Attachments

• Screenshot (283).png
    Screenshot (283).png
    157.8 KB · Views: 157
Locking this thread since it keeps getting necro'd for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back