Regarding the way users are banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Plushima

Princess of Dreams
Judge
Just a quick note, I've thought about this for a long time, and some people on a few other forums the names of which I will not disclose have been complaining as well. I've noticed that the rule ban reasons are generally kinda vague. From what I gather, you simply describe which rule was broken, often in a relatively vague way as well. If at all possible, could the admins in the future quote the exact post that violated the rules? It generally gives users a general idea of exactly what they did wrong, which, in the future, could help many of them avoid the same mistake twice, and ultimately, reform some of the more idiotic users.

I know our current forum software suxorzlollolz, but couldn't a minor tweak to the ban button make it do it automatically anyways?

Just a random suggestion, but again, some other people have made the same complaint on [SRB2MB-get-away forums]

You know, often bans are due to several posts, so rarely you can say a specific post. Through anyways I noticed things were getting more strict. Well, sometimes users start saying really stupid things all the time, so I guess it should be OK.

Bah, I don't even know how it works :P

Oh, they're vague at times, alright. There are many, many posts here that I've rather wanted to ban a user for but neglected to, since I couldn't figure out which rule, specifically, it violated.

I have no qualms telling you the post # you were banned for - in fact, I've been thinking that something similar to what 4chan (of all unlikely places) does: if the post gets you banned, I'd toss (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST) in there. Serves as a good reminder of what not to do, too!

That's my two cents, anyway.

Well, quoting the post is a tad hard, as there is a 256 character limit to ban messages. Generally the ban message is specific enough, especially when related to things like spam posts.

Can you expand the limit? Even if just to 512. Also, a link to the post would help as a placeholder for quoting really, am I right? Even if you edited the post, it should be obvious to the author what did he do.

Personally I'd just put the ID of the post in question (the number part of the URL you get by clicking on one of those tiny paper icons - go on, try it)... but then I'd have to assume the banned person in question would be able to figure out what this random number in the ban description means.

TinyURL might work.

Mystic said:
Well, quoting the post is a tad hard, as there is a 256 character limit to ban messages. Generally the ban message is specific enough, especially when related to things like spam posts.
Links?

They pretty much just say "Oh hi, Chaos. You flamed, your banned. Tough luck. Don't do it again."

Shadow Hog said:
I have no qualms telling you the post # you were banned for - in fact, I've been thinking that something similar to what 4chan (of all unlikely places) does: if the post gets you banned, I'd toss (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST) in there. Serves as a good reminder of what not to do, too!
If you do that, I believe I'll need to edit my sig. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back