Match Stages = Hub Worlds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapheros

I recently played a server that was on Frost Columns, the gametype was co-op, not much else to say after that. However, wandering around the stage just to take in it's beauty, made me realize that these stages could be designed for something more than a Match, H&S, and Tag stage, I saw it as a HUB WORLD. Do you think these match stages are worth Hub Worlds as well? And I mean ONLY the match stages, not the CTF stages.

It's called a "Hangout" server. Usually hosted on the Casual room, Hangouts basically just pick random maps in co-op mode and sit there doing nothing.

I totally support this idea, especially if missions are added to SRB2. Each stage would have it's own hub world. Like, Techno Hill with Noxious Factory?
There would be little portals/doors with a description when you mouse over them. Maybe new areas and missions would be unlocked as you progress, until you get to Eggman's door.
This would be a fun way of progressing through SRB2's zones, and a good way to connect the levels together.

I can't really say that it would be too useful to anything to have a hub besides dedicated servers.

I believe the game you guys are looking for is Sonic the Hedgehog, released in 2006 for PS3/360.

Long ass quotes:
i recently played a server that was on frost columns, the gametype was co-op, not much else to say after that. However, wandering around the
stage just to take in it's beauty, made me realize that these stages could be designed for something more than a match, h&s, and tag stage, i saw it as a hub world. Do you think these match stages are worth hub worlds as well? And i mean only the match stages, not the ctf stages.
i totally support this idea, especially if missions are added to srb2. Each stage would have it's own hub world. Like, techno hill with noxious factory?
There would be little portals/doors with a description when you mouse over them. Maybe new areas and missions would be unlocked as you progress, until you get to eggman's door.
This would be a fun way of progressing through srb2's zones, and a good way to connect the levels together.

No. No god please no. No. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

I remember a version of "SRB2: The Past" had a hub world (designed like a museum); it worked quite well there. Other than that, I can't think of any other scenario where hub worlds would be a good idea, unless you're making a Sonic Adventure mod or something.

I personally think that Hub Worlds are unnecessary when the game level course is linear. If it doesn't have any linearity and you can choose to do any level without a certain order (Ex. Super Mario Galaxy), it would work fine.

I believe the game you guys are looking for is Sonic the Hedgehog, released in 2006 for PS3/360.
I was thinking Hexen: Beyond Heretic, developed by Raven Software and released in 1995 by ActiVision, with PS1, Saturn and N64 ports following in 1997.

No, not really. The match stages were made for the modes that you see them being used for regularly and especially what they were designed for mainly, match, tag, and hide & seek.

There was something that was made for the past version that was something similar to what you are talking about though. The name escapes me though.

Could be that one city level in JTE. It was basically that, a little hub but pretty much only used for RP'ing.
Or Warpshade's SRB2City which drew the same criticisms for being what basically boiled down to an RP level.

Unless you are talking about Vanilla SRB2, but I don't think so.

I never played that one, but even in SA1 I found them mostly pointless. Total filler. I can't imagine it was put to better use in '06.

Could be that one city level in JTE. It was basically that, a little hub but pretty much only used for RP'ing.
Or Warpshade's SRB2City which drew the same criticisms for being what basically boiled down to an RP level.

Unless you are talking about Vanilla SRB2, but I don't think so.

I never played that one, but even in SA1 I found them mostly pointless. Total filler. I can't imagine it was put to better use in '06.

I was referring to an add-on. I remembered what it was now, it was SF94-Serv.

Look, the only time i think a Hub world would be sensible is if maybe there were some types of emblems or maybe chaos emeralds hidden within each Hub world. I can see it implemented maybe for co-op before starting the nights special stages or before starting a boss. (I would really recommend the hub for the special stages, it would keep it more streamline for those that knew how to play the stage and leave uninterested ones somewhere else.)

Look, the only time i think a Hub world would be sensible is if maybe there were some types of emblems or maybe chaos emeralds hidden within each Hub world.

That's just silly. The emblems are perfectly fine on how they are executed already in SRB2. Hub Worlds are pretty pointless when it comes to SRB2.

Hub worlds for online games, if done right, could be an effective way for players to regulate which level they go to next. All you'd need is some sort of customized sector which measures how many people are standing on what platform, and that'll effectively give you a more dramatic version of Source's !votemap.

For single player and coop, I had once developed a map in 1.09.4 where you could access all of Mystic Realm's levels out of order. Of course, you could only access Prismatic Angel Zone once you've collected all of the emeralds, but otherwise this was a rarely seen form of nonlinear game progression for its time. You could very well design a level pack in this fashion so long as your emeralds can only be found in the zones themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back