SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 02-29-2020   #6361
Zanda_Sama

Teams to be able to use multiple versions of a color.
I mean at least have cornflower and sapphire available to blue team, they look pretty much the same.
I believe us getting certain different shades of red and blue that don't look too different would be nice.
That and cornflower is just a better version of blue.
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020   #6362
Ikkarou Tatsuru
gametype man

Put light pillar FOFs or some other visual indicator for the NiGHTS stages' goals so that they can be seen from afar or high above. It's currently very easy to just miss the goal if you're not acquainted with the stage, specially for newbies.
Old 03-01-2020   #6363
Zanda_Sama
Default More Hud Options / Merge Request

I suggest that there should be more HUD options in Vanilla.

Currently we're stuck with that ugly white box, with the characters facing left instead of right. We also have that old Sonic 2 HUD. I believe we should be able to customize our HUD with Sonic 3's or Sonic Mania's which there are already addons for, or even the kart's hud which looks really nice. The Adventure Hud is also very good.

I think my Transparent Life Icons wad should in some way get inside the game, or you could make your own if mine has some issues. (Link https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=46538) As an option in video-settings most likely would fit. Perhaps the Mania option would have a Mania hud, and the Classic would have a classic hud. I really do think my Transparent Life Icons look much better than the ugly white box we currently have. The problem is my addon triggers the game modifier tag, which can be a turnoff for many. It is also completely graphical, so it wouldn't change the game really. It's an option for players.

While i'm at it, I believe we should have the option to change the HUDNAME in multiplayer to our actual name unless it's too long. And be able to change Tails to Miles, and KTE to Knux, or even Fang to Nack, without having to use an addon. Also Amy R. should just be Amy... the R has no reason to be there. Nobody calls her Amy Rose.
I think initials are unappealing, Sonic The Hedgehog isn't S.T.H, and that would look HORRIBLE. I know you had K.T.H because the classic games may have had it like that, and because KNUCKLES wouldn't fit (which you might even be able to make fit IF you wanted to).
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020   #6364
Jaco Boy

I think the green goop in the brak robotnik fight should go back to being lava. I dont see how it can do the same amount of damage as lava. (hope i didnt post this already)
Old 03-03-2020   #6365
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Lava is now solid enough that doing that would crush you if you stood underneath it and Brak would be unable to walk through it. It's slime now for gameplay reasons.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020   #6366
time gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Lava is now solid enough that doing that would crush you if you stood underneath it and Brak would be unable to walk through it. It's slime now for gameplay reasons.
I do wish the instances of colored slime were more consistent in behavior though. The green slime in Techno Legacy and in the Brak Eggman fight does damage, the purple slime makes you bounce, and the blue slime Eggman tosses at you in the THZ boss... Also hurts you. Following the logic of slime behavior being color coded, the player learns the following information as they play:
Purple slime = bouncy
Blue slime = hurts
Green slime = hurts

It's therefore confusing when you see blue slime for the first time, find out it hurts you, see green slime for the first time, remember that purple and blue are both different, and then inevitably get hurt trying to figure out what it does. As such, it makes sense that either the slime Eggman tosses at you should be green, or the slime that hurts you in TLZ and the Brak Eggman fight should be blue, to make all the slime that hurts you the same color.

I would also suggest making it so that first time players seeing the different colored slime for the first time are given demonstrations of what they do so that they don't have to assume. For example, maybe a badnik falls off a cliffside early on in THZ1 and bounces off the purple slime, demonstrating to the player what it does and that it's safe to touch. Then later when they get to THZ2, they see another badnik fall into green slime and get destroyed on contact, teaching the player that this stuff in dangerous.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020   #6367
toaster
トースタちゃん

The slime being blue in THZ3 is entirely due to the Mega Mack in Sonic 2, and the acid in ERZ is green due to that being the colour of the core (as well as it being the SASRB2 slime texture, importing green acid from Sonic Adventure). Blue FOFs of slime don't exist because it'd be easy to mix up with water, while the THZ slime not being green is... well, it's not an oversight so much as a throwaway reference without changing the colours of the fight too much from its previous magenta, but if they were aggressively honing in on consistency it'd be the next step to change.
Old 03-04-2020   #6368
Marcos
I am me

I would like to see a "Real Time Mode" type of gameplay in which you have only 1 or 2 hours (or 7 days as the intro says the Black Rock stays), so that you had to complete the game in time or you would lose all oportunities.

And then a Record Attack Classification between other SRB2 players (which could also work for Real Time Mode, to be beaten in record time)
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020   #6369
TiberiusMcQueen

With all the control options the game has it'd be nice to have a tutorial that covers them. It'd also be nice to be able to adjust the sensitivity curve for movement when using a controller, As well as being able to control the vertical and horizontal camera sensitivity (or a way to have a limited vertical look where you can look up/down to a certain angle but not straight up/down) separately to make enabling vertical look a more viable option.
TiberiusMcQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020   #6370
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

Files loaded during game startup (like by using the recently-released launcher program) don't show if they were loaded erroneously. At the very least, the warning and errors should be printed to console so that I only have to open it during the title screen and see if there are any problems.
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020   #6371
JakeAmations

A ChromeOS port would be nice. I can only play this game on school PC's and I'm usually in the mood to play this game when I'm at home (I don't have a PC).

Also, the reason why I can't just get Linux is that this is my brother's PC, and he won't let me install Linux on it.

So this would benefit a lot of people who can't access a PC all the time (which I fit into) and would probably make your game quite more popular than it is already

JakeAmations out.
Old 03-06-2020   #6372
The Real Inferno
Blazing Fan

I'd like to note for the above that ChromeOS is a form of Linux, and it has the ability to run Linux applications if you enable it.

Here's a link which explains how to enable this on systems which support it:
https://www.howtogeek.com/363331/how...-on-chrome-os/

Hopefully, this helps the above user, not with their suggestion, but with fixing their issue.
The Real Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020   #6373
JakeAmations

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Inferno View Post
I'd like to note for the above that ChromeOS is a form of Linux, and it has the ability to run Linux applications if you enable it.

Here's a link which explains how to enable this on systems which support it:
https://www.howtogeek.com/363331/how...-on-chrome-os/

Hopefully, this helps the above user, not with their suggestion, but with fixing their issue.
my chromebook doesn't support that
Old 03-07-2020   #6374
Crum

I'm liking having a simple sound effect for 1ups instead of the whole jingle since I got sick of it ages ago and it's interrupting better music, but for clarity could it be a different sound from the cash register noise? Or could we have the option replace it without triggering the modified flag (since the sound is technically supposed to be replacing music)?
Crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020   #6375
GreenKnight9000

A Speedrun Mode would be a GODSEND, it'll basically have a timer (maybe in the middle-bottom of the screen) that'll be active from the moment Greenflower Zone act 1 loads and ends at the very moment the ending plays, this'll make speedrunning much easier, as it can split automatically with each act and Zone and thus can get more accurate times.
Old 03-07-2020   #6376
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crum View Post
- Or could we have the option replace it without triggering the modified flag (since the sound is technically supposed to be replacing music)?
All audio, whether it be music or sounds, can already be modified by add-ons without triggering the "modified" flag.

Sounds require a "DS" prefix, and "DS" is one of the whitelisted lump prefixes in SRB2's add-on system.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020   #6377
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

As Zwip-Zwap Zapony said, you can replace both sounds and music without the game being marked as modified, so long as the WAD/PK3 you put the files in contains only sounds and music. However, as of 2.2.2 you can only replace the music - replacing the sound is bugged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crum View Post
but for clarity could it be a different sound from the cash register noise?
The devs already mentioned they're working on a proper unique sound for it.
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020   #6378
softchassis

I'd like to suggest a few Quality of Life changes to record attack, inspired by games based around inspiring the player to score/time attack a level many times by getting them back in the action as quickly as possible, such as Super Meat Boy and Dustforce.
  • In Record Attack, restart the level instantly on player death rather than returning the player to the level select.
  • Allow the player to instantly restart a level rather than having to hold the restart button, or perhaps allow double-tapping the restart button as in Dustforce.
  • Disable level title cards in Record Attack, so the player has full visibility of the screen from the start.
In the event the player might prefer the way things are, these features could perhaps be a toggle in the options menu somewhere.

These suggestions are mostly inspired by the two games mentioned above as well as my organic gripes I've come across while trying to time attack Egg Rock 2. After I die, I hold down the restart key so I can get back to the beginning of the level as quickly as possible, but sometimes I'm a bit too slow and get kicked back to the level select and then have to wait for the color fadeouts and for the level to load back in. Additionally, sometimes on a successful restart, the title card appears again anyway.

Now these are just a few seconds of waiting, sure, but they add-up over time, and less time the player is actively engaged with the game, the more likely they are to quit.

The designer of Super Meat Boy brought this up in an old interview, I think, and so they emphasized getting the player's control back after death as quickly as possible. Dustforce is similar in its approach, and makes a good compromise in case you feel like giving the player control immediately after death might be too jarring--when you die in Dustforce, there's a unique sound (like a whoosh), the screen quickly fades out and back in with the player at the start or last checkpoint, and there's a very quick 3-2-1 count. It's a good way for the player to stay engaged and just enough time to prepare to start again.
softchassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020   #6379
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

It should be possible to skip the credits even if you haven't previously seen them.

Yes, credits are nice... but they're also a big "time sink", which some people (including myself) would prefer not having to just sit idly and watch before being able to play more of the game.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020   #6380
time gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwip-Zwap Zapony View Post
It should be possible to skip the credits even if you haven't previously seen them.

Yes, credits are nice... but they're also a big "time sink", which some people (including myself) would prefer not having to just sit idly and watch before being able to play more of the game.
I would settle for just being able to press jump to speed the credits up, so you can still see them but they get over with faster. I can understand wanting the credits to be viewed the first time so that proper acknowledgement for who did what is given, but being able to speed that process up would be appreciated.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote