SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 02-21-2020   #1
Magictub
Furry

Default I want to make a mod.

I am at most a beginner at modding. I need some help/advice in just making a fully-fledged mod for the game. I am a total beginner in programming, I can only remember making lua say "Hello World!" I have a bit of experience map making, and I only just started with drawing sprites.
Old 02-21-2020   #2
CyberKnux
Knuckles Chuckles
Extended Ban (Strike 3)

just do SLADE boi

(CyberKnux received an infraction for this post: Do not spam. Put actual content in your posts.)
CyberKnux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020   #3
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

The wiki has tutorials and information for most modding stuff, although some of it is probably still a tad out of date with how recently 2.2 came out.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020   #4
Magictub
Furry

Yeah, that's kinda why I'm asking here. I also ask because the mod I want to make is kinda big.
Old 02-21-2020   #5
Lach
nanananananananananananan a
Developer

Don't start with a big mod—set smaller goals for yourself, and learn what you need to do to achieve them. Being ambitious is fun!! But if you overestimate what you're capable of seeing through to the end, you might not get to finish. Ideally, you want your mods to be complete and playable by others first and foremost!

If you really don't want to reference the wiki yet (you're missing out!), I suggest watching SeventhSentinel's Zone Builder tutorials, making a short 30-60 second long map, and releasing that to have a completed product under your belt and potentially receive helpful feedback from others.
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020   #6
Kwiin
[A person in a place]

Default Slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKnux View Post
just do SLADE boi
Very helpful. Thank you. You are the catalyst for my modding career. I will in, in fact, do SLADE, boi. *Performs the salute of every country at once*

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Some actually serious advice, however. You do not want to start with a "fully-fledged mod for the game", but instead something smaller. A character, a stage or two. Start small. Big gigantic magnum opus level packs are rare. (and even rarer to get a quality one)
It's a long, tedious (and hella rewarding) process, and I wish you luck.
Kwiin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020   #7
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

I killed a few posts in this thread, but as a reminder: do not respond to useless garbage like CyberKnux's post. It's way easier to infract and ignore if nobody replies to it.

Also, for the OP: starting small is the only successful way to go. Absolutely everyone who starts large does not succeed for various reasons. If you want to make something big over the long term, it's best to make a bunch of smaller things and merge them together later.

Last edited by Mystic; 02-21-2020 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Clarification
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020   #8
Magictub
Furry

shit. I accidentally deleted the whole post instead of just the part I wanted to be deleted.

Summarized: Lach, thank you, I will probably make a map first. Mystic, thank you too, I should think about making the gardens first just as a little map mod by themselves before thinking about such a big project.
Old 03-12-2020   #9
CyberKnux
Knuckles Chuckles
Extended Ban (Strike 3)

im trying to make a mod too but slade won't make me draw pixels...
CyberKnux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020   #10
FlysterTheFox
I'm back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKnux View Post
just do SLADE boi
lol yes, JUST DO SLADE boi!

(FlysterTheFox received an infraction for this post: Do not spam. Put actual content in your posts.)

FlysterTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote