• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Editing possible in android!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxDude

lazy person
Yes, i've figured out how to mod in android!
Homewer, android is pretty limited when it comes to modding stuff, i'm not sure if it's possible to make something big.
So, how did i figure this out?
I installed an hex editor on playstore, and thought, what if i used it on srb2 wads?
PK3 files did not work sadly, but i modded a shadow port (unofficial don't even ask for link)
and, surprisingly, IT WORKED!
I do not have any pics of it, but, i noticed shadow was a bit messed up, broken homing thok and chaos control appeared longer.
I hope android modding becomes as easy and efficient as pc modding, as for now we're very limited with our tools. Why don't you try it out yourself and see what comes out?

That's not modding, that's just modifying a few bytes from a file and hoping it doesn't explode.
You can do that with any file on any device, even. It's like opening a system .dll with notepad!

It *could* be a method if you have innate knowledge of a WAD/PK3 file format and can recreate the respective headers and others by hand, but even then it's the worst way to do it.

Hex editing wads together is truly the future of SRB2 modding! I've actually done that a few times, unironically...

But Rapid is right. Even if you do know how the wad format works, the most you could probably do is edit text lumps, like soc and lua scripts. Graphics would be a whole other deal.

wait a second...

HEX EDITORS ON ANDROID, how did I never know about this.
well do you have any suggestions for a hex editor FoxDude because it seems like you have a pretty good hex editor from how it sounds like.

Maybe you could try to figure out how to compile Slade or programs like it and make it compatible with Android devices. Dunno how that works, but it's just a thought!

ye i think if you have a pixel art tool and a wad editor tool you might be able to make smls srb2 characters or i dunno whatcha wanna do

Maybe you could try to figure out how to compile Slade or programs like it and make it compatible with Android devices. Dunno how that works, but it's just a thought!

It would require some significant redesigns of the user interface, especially if you want it to be usable on a phone. However, I'd say it's quite viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back