Suggestions

I agreed with everything in that besides the leaderboards bullshit which has been suggested and attempted for years and will never work. You know, considering the master server doesn't have a name registration system, the devs don't want to check everyone's files for how many wins they have, there's such a thing as bad players so rank grinding is easy as Hell, and srb2 updates every millennium which will in general make the thing entirely outdated and killing the point.

Hmmm, true. And if the level is from a level pack, then the game is modded unless there's a set save file for it, meaning the points would go into that save and not the unmodified SRB2's save, like the data, would it not?

What about the option to switch from losing all your rings in match to an HP bar.

Nonononononono, you just can't do it. Pretty much like Doom has a health bar with purcents ("Health" from 0 to 100%) and that face of the player that bleed when hurt, and like MM8BDM has the Megaman life bar, Sonic has its own and simple gameplay about health : go to a kill state if the number of rings is 0, scatter all rings if the number of ring is >0 yay I love maths and using it
Anyway this would means torrid mechanic revamps and it doesn't fit to the Sonic universe~
...and, and,
It makes SRB2 different from other Doomish games... that have an HP bar, in fact.

I have a suggestion, whenever you are launched of a spring make you can not control the character's movement in mid-air. I'm guessing that you guys might reject this because it is part of the classic sonic games, but can you at least make a command that allows you to activate/deactivate movement when being launched from a spring.

Nonononononono, you just can't do it. Pretty much like Doom has a health bar with purcents ("Health" from 0 to 100%) and that face of the player that bleed when hurt, and like MM8BDM has the Megaman life bar, Sonic has its own and simple gameplay about health : go to a kill state if the number of rings is 0, scatter all rings if the number of ring is >0 yay I love maths and using it
Anyway this would means torrid mechanic revamps and it doesn't fit to the Sonic universe~
...and, and,
It makes SRB2 different from other Doomish games... that have an HP bar, in fact.
No, the real reason we wouldn't do it is because it simply wouldn't work. Characters move around far too quickly for hits to be common enough for a health bar to be meaningful.

I have a suggestion, whenever you are launched of a spring make you can not control the character's movement in mid-air. I'm guessing that you guys might reject this because it is part of the classic sonic games, but can you at least make a command that allows you to activate/deactivate movement when being launched from a spring.

No, it couldn't work like that. How it would have to work is that "carry on" movement is deactivated when you hit a spring, but then re-enabled if you let go of the directional keys and then hit it again while in the air.

I don't think it's possible to program this in the engine, though...

Last edited:
So people can make segments where you can't control where you're going but are led along a set path by several hundred springs? Not especially interested in this.

What about the option to switch from losing all your rings in match to an HP bar.
Absolutely not. The entire gameplay is designed around what are essentially "one hit kills". Having such an option would be even more disruptive than sudden death is. We do agree that the gameplay is a tad too brutal on the players on the bottom of the skill curve, but making it a health bar would essentially destroy what balance is there to begin with.

Another absolutely not. Even beyond just "the classics did it", player control after hitting springs in SRB2 is intentional. SRB2 tries to never wrest control from the player, and the only real exception to this is zoom tubes. There's a reason that GFZ2 so prominently features a set of springs that require you not to hold forward for them to work. We want the player to realize that springs in SRB2 are still letting you control, which becomes relevant in the very next section after that, where the player gets bounced in the air, and not necessarily towards the platform he wants to land on.

The advantage to this setup is that springs become an actual part of gameplay, not just a cutscene. We can do things like have springs that don't point at what the player wants to reach, and the player gets to feel clever when they realize that the fastest way through the springs in DSZ1 is actually to intentionally break them. This is infinitely preferable to having springs be just another zoom tube effect.

We can do things like have springs that don't point at what the player wants to reach, and the player gets to feel clever when they realize that the fastest way through the springs in DSZ1 is actually to intentionally break them.

Sorry, which section are you referring to here?

Near the end of DSZ1, there is a Star Post followed by a diagonal red spring into two more diagonal red springs. It's faster to simply make a hard right after hitting the first one than to let it take you into the other two springs.

The advantage to this setup is that springs become an actual part of gameplay, not just a cutscene. We can do things like have springs that don't point at what the player wants to reach, and the player gets to feel clever when they realize that the fastest way through the springs in DSZ1 is actually to intentionally break them. This is infinitely preferable to having springs be just another zoom tube effect.
Ok this makes sense as I've seen this in numerous gameplay videos, it's just that when using a vertical spring in areas you need to be launched up, your momentum can affect your direction, whereas in certain parts of games like Sonic Advance(1,2&3) & Sonic 4 the springs overpower your momentum and launch you easily to any direction at a steady angle. Although I think these are modern sonic games so you can ignore this if you want.

Last edited:
Partly the reason this can be considered quirky is that SRB2 removes the requirement that the classic Sonic games had that you have to hit the spring from the direction of the bouncy end, letting you walk into the spring with whatever speed you want, where in the classics you had to time the jump just right if you wanted to hit the spring with a solid horizontal momentum. The main advantage is that it allows you to do things you wouldn't otherwise be able to do. I've spindashed or thokked into a vertical spring many times to launch myself halfway across the map, and by giving the player full control when they hit a vertical spring, you can do things like have the player bounce off of springs while preserving their momentum. Not a Thokfest is the most basic example of this, but there are tons of other maps in SRB2 that make use of this functionality. Another thing you can do is point vertical springs on the floor an ceiling at each other and the player won't be trapped permanently, for example. There are a TON of gimmicks in SRB2 dealing with momentum and its preservation, and allowing springs to keep any momentum they can is part of that.

Here's a suggestion to change things up a bit: separate respawn times for each weapon panel/monitors. It would be interesting to have explosion rings spawn every 5 seconds but rails at every 30 seconds while autos spawn every 20 seconds.

I'd also like to add that there already IS a sector effect that can remove control from a player, so you can just use that if you really need it. No need to gimp springs.

Though frankly you should be keeping to SRB2 level design conventions whenever possible. This isn't Sonic 06 with its 10-second spring cinematics.

I'd also like to add that there already IS a sector effect that can remove control from a player, so you can just use that if you really need it. No need to gimp springs.
Were you talking to me?
Anyway if you were then I should say that there is a lindef that can disable character movement (linedef 437, Disable Player Control), there is no sector that can remove your control. Also I already accept and agree that the springs should stay the same due to Mystic having a valid point on why springs should remain the same.
Though frankly you should be keeping to SRB2 level design conventions whenever possible. This isn't Sonic 06 with its 10-second spring cinematics.
I did not mean that the whole srb2 spring gameplay should change, I meant that you can have another gameplay, setup or whatever it's called that allows you to change the way the springs work. For example Kalaron's old srb2cb (for 1.09.04) had a SA mode (sonic adventure mode), this allowed the player to have access to a different type of gameplay.

The simplest solution would be to set a flag that does this to the springs, like deaf or something. I think I heard that this was done in 1.09.4, dunno if that's actually true and, if it is, I dunno if it's present in 2.0.6.

This is actually a good idea for areas where the designer feels that the player needs to be forced to a specific area, and quick vertical momentum and cancellation of horizontal momentum is the simplest way to make that happen.

The simplest solution would be to set a flag that does this to the springs, like deaf or something. I think I heard that this was done in 1.09.4, dunno if that's actually true and, if it is, I dunno if it's present in 2.0.6.

This is actually a good idea for areas where the designer feels that the player needs to be forced to a specific area, and quick vertical momentum and cancellation of horizontal momentum is the simplest way to make that happen.
Thanks for explaining it better, but this was what I meant.

The problem with this is that the player won't know whether the spring will cancel his/her momentum until they actually hit it, since there's no visual cue associated. And betraying the player's expectations in such a cornerstone game mechanic doesn't leave a good taste in anyone's mouth.

You're better off just making sure the level design conducts the player to lose their momentum willingly. Put the spring next to a wall so the player can just hug the wall and fall directly on the spring, place it in a hole where the player has to manually slow down in order to fall in and touch it, stuff like that. Diagonal springs are often best placed on top of a block so the player can't just run into them and end up holding the forward key one split-second too long, unintentionally sabotaging their own flight path.

Last edited:
New Linedef Types that allow you to change a sector's Wall Texture offsets.
They'll probably be a whole lot of variations if it actually gets coded though. :V

And if they're already in 2.0.6 I can't find them at all.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Back