Don't understand Thok Barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charybdizs

>WTB lamp oil
Administrator
Kart Krew™️
I'm trying to make a few stages just for fun, but I can't seem to get down how the Thok Barriers work. It didn't help that the tutorial had no pictures on that, either. My problem is, am I supposed to place the sector shape first, and then place another outside of that to be the Thok Barrier? In that case, how far outside? And which one will be the actual level boundaries, and which one will it use the texture from? I tried putting the entire barrier one square away from the first sector, but that didn't seem to work, I could still get out of some of the sides. Any help?

Well, all you do is this.

1. Create the shape of your map.
2. Outline your map, so you can adjust the outlines sector properties.
3. Make the outline's ceiling and floor height the exact same.

Last edited:
Meh, ok, It seems to be working, except sometimes there's one section of the wall I can walk out of... Do you know what would be causing this?

SRB2 does not support the "Impassible" line flag you see in level editors. Instead, you need to use a sector with an equal floor and ceiling value to create a barrier where you have a wall you don't want the player to walk through.

SRB2 does not support the "Impassible" line flag you see in level editors. Instead, you need to use a sector with an equal floor and ceiling value to create a barrier where you have a wall you don't want the player to walk through.

I did that, but it still isn't keeping me in.

Heres the test stage I was working on, see for yourself, it doesn't keep you inside the walls. Am I doing something wrong?

http://www.mediafire.com/?dra37m4fkgodcbm

Um... the outer sector doesn't have the same value set for its floor and ceiling heights. It can be 0 ceiling, 0 floor; 100 ceiling, 100 floor; or 1024 ceiling, 1024 floor... anything, as long as those heights match up.

犬夜叉;692667 said:
Um... the outer sector doesn't have the same value set for its floor and ceiling heights. It can be 0 ceiling, 0 floor; 100 ceiling, 100 floor; or 1024 ceiling, 1024 floor... anything, as long as those heights match up.

Oh... Ok, :D Thanks, I just misunderstood, I thought they had to be equal to the inner wall ceiling and floor. Yay now I can make some levels! :D

Out of curiosity, which tutorial did you read? Because the one you should be reading is this one, which clearly states:

This can be fixed by creating another sector surrounding the first one, called thok barrier. The floor and ceiling height of this sector must be the same, and they must be somewhere in-between the floor and ceiling height of the inner sector

Even without a picture, that should be clear enough. In fact, I don't understand how a picture would help.

Last edited:
they must be somewhere in-between the floor and ceiling height of the inner sector
This is a lie. The floor and ceiling height can be whatever you want, but setting the ceiling to sky and putting it lower than the inner sector's floor causes some visual leaking.

If something is theoretically possible but totally useless and undesirable, I think we can safely say that you shouldn't do it.

Out of curiosity, which tutorial did you read? Because the one you should be reading is this one, which clearly states:

Yes, that's the one I read. This is what I took it to mean:

This can be fixed by creating another sector surrounding the first one, called thok barrier. The floor and ceiling height of this sector must be the same [as the first one]

"and they must be somewhere in-between the floor and ceiling height of the inner sector"

This is the second half of the sentence, so I assumed it would be logical. But I see why it would be confusing, so I'll change it to

"The floor height of this sector must be the same as its ceiling height"

Yeah, I saw that second statement, and actually thought to myself that it didn't make any sense, so that's why I asked.

If something is theoretically possible but totally useless and undesirable, I think we can safely say that you shouldn't do it.
What?

You can have a sector with a floor of 256 and a thok barrier with a height of 0. It does not have to be 256 or over.

Like I said, though, if you set the ceiling flat of that control sector to be the sky, then some visual leaks will occur. However, you can set the flat to be something else and then that thok barrier becomes a solid, opaque wall from top to bottom. Playing with the thok barrier height can be useful to align some textures with the surrounding walls (since the vertical alignment is relative to the "open" area of the sector by default).

What?

You can have a sector with a floor of 256 and a thok barrier with a height of 0. It does not have to be 256 or over.
Oh, I totally forgot about that possibility. I think I should reword that sentence a bit.

Then again, why am I supposed to change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back