So, a new game maker enters the market...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJames19119

Why did they remove Grey
http://www.stencyl.com/

A tile based game maker huh? Lunar Magic was highly acclaimed and extremely popular because of this but what can it do for generalized game making aside from constrict things even further? Well, Mario fan game makers can all rejoice at least since Mario happens to be very heavily reliant on tile based games. Sonic is too but none of the tiles are nearly as blocky as Mario's is. Creating a Sonic kit would be...hell, that's a good word to describe it. If not impossible. At least other tile based games will get a lot of new fan games after this is released, should it be any good.

Discuss

This is simply awesome. I could use this for my hack. The tile programs i'm using now are a pain in the next and worst of all, it doesn't even save any of the tile changes I do. :x

Wow, for some reason, this makes me think of RPG maker.

Anyway, If I were to create a game, I would probably use this to "Rip" the tiles of a game.

This seems very nice.

Looking over the website... I smell a lawsuit coming. Using material from Mario and Mega Man like this... Capcom I know is cool with fangames, so if the levels were all original, I suppose the graphics being ripped from MMX isn't an issue. Nintendo, however... I'd be amazed if they were so kind.

I've been meaning to get around to becoming intimate with XNA... I think I should probably stick with that plan, all things considered. I mean, it's more flexible (albeit at the expense of you having to do a lot of the dirty work yourself - programming was never glamorous), but more importantly, it doesn't use copyrighted materials as example games. The only example game it DOES have is some original "Spacewar" knock-off, and if licensing was an issue, well, it's MICROSOFT, I think they can handle it.

Something about this site doesn't seem right. The only proof of this actually being legit are the screencaps, which are almost too easy to create. I've also noticed that all of the in-game screens are using classic untouched sprites, with no sign of editing whatsoever, with the exclusion of some minor details in the jumpman game. Heck, if you look at this page, the in-game shots they've decided to post are almost identical to the original game.

The fact that you can't even freaking Contact them by any means whatsoever is enough to convince me. Forums aren't open yet, and you can't email them yet, as they put it.

EDIT: Privacy Policy and Terms of Use pages are non-existant, giving you an in-site error. The fact that their "Team" all use chat-friendly names is even worse.

EDIT2: My fault flame, I forgot that I don't have mIRC installed.

I smell a rat.

Spazzo said:
... the IRC channel doesn't seem to work...

I was just ON the IRC channel spazz, It does work.
You need to have some specific chatting program installed on your computer, Like mIRC, in order for that irc://<Insert IRC address here> to work.

It does indeed look fake now that I think about it but it's forums are supposed to be opening tomorrow as of the time of this post so we'll all see what happens then.

I don't see why you guys are so skeptical about this. I'm looking forward to this and hopefully it's going to be very popular.

Haven't we had hundreds of these programs since 1994?

- The Click series (Klik & Play, Click 'n' Create, The Games Factory, Multimedia Fusion 1/2)
- Game Maker
- RPGMaker
- DarkBASIC
- BlitzBASIC
- A6
- Alice
- Adventure Game Toolkit
- And many, many more.

Seriously, do we need another one? This one runs in Java, so it's not like you've got an actual EXE to launch the game with. Most tools take a pre-compiled runtime EXE and append the gamedata to that, making it ready to distribute (well, a few _do_ compile EXEs - look at DarkBASIC Pro). Unlike the other programs, with Stencyl, you probably have to launch all games from a silly menu, which means that everyone will probably have to download a runtime program for it to run (which would be against license to distribute, is my guess).

Get over it, you guys. We've had these programs for years and years. Does Stencyl really provide anything that this previous software doesn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back