Recording gameplay software

Hello, I want some help with recording gameplay but OBS seems to have trouble keeping up quality because when I move around, the game becomes really pixelated, even with 2.2 which I expected to fix the problem.

I would rather get OBS to cooperate with the game rather than getting different software because I do livestreams rather than upload videos (I won't play this game on my channel if I can't livestream it) and OBS is reliable on that aspect so I'd rather stick with that unless you have an alternative that I can use just for the game.
Could it be because I have 64-bit OBS while the game is at 32-bit? That's the only problem I can think of and I have seen good footage of the game recorded with OBS so it's possible. I have a gaming PC so my specs are pretty good unless there's a graphics card the game isn't compatible with for some reason.
I've tried windowed, fullscreen, window and display capture but they're all pixelated. :/

Can you help me out?

Have you tried Windows key + G?

Thats usually really good for small snippets of footage and pretty stable

Sounds like a bit rate issue for me. Since SRB2's graphics have a lot of aliasing, practically every pixel on screen is always changing in a way that compression algorithms hate. 5500mbps is still gonna be blurry with pretty much any 3D game with rapid lateral camera motion, especially SRB2.

Make sure your frame rate and resolution aren't higher than they need to be. A low bitrate like that demands something like 480p 30fps.

Have you tried Windows key + G?

Thats usually really good for small snippets of footage and pretty stable

I personally wouldn't recommend using Game Bar for background recording, i've had it destroy way too much footage with weird glitches and artifacts. Better to use whatever capture software is associated with your graphics card (ReLive for AMD, Shadowplay if you really must f with nvidia)

Twitch caps your bitrate at 6000mbps anyway, but i find that even 3500kbps actually works pretty acceptably for 720p60 SRB2 livestreaming on my relatively underpowered for today* rig using AMD Advanced Media Framework (NVENC is roughly equivalent afaik) but you might have to mess around with the advanced options to dial in something that works well for your spec. in that footage the analog sticks on the controller display kind of get eaten by the bitrate sometimes, which i only noticed watching this footage back, so ymmv, a lot of different things can arise
*(my pc has all at least 4 or 5 year old components on the contemporarily mid-low side, i haven't been able to justify affording for new parts in a while)

Oh, right, yeah. I forgot what kinds of bitrates are typical for streaming when I made my suggestion earlier. I do video production more than I do live streaming so I generally work in pretty overkill bitrates. 😅 Apologies if my comment muddied the waters a bit.

Oh, right, yeah. I forgot what kinds of bitrates are typical for streaming when I made my suggestion earlier. I do video production more than I do live streaming so I generally work in pretty overkill bitrates. �� Apologies if my comment muddied the waters a bit.

oh not at all lol, i know well that recording and streaming have entirely different needs and probably should've clarified myself since that's not immediately obvious for beginners, but it totally slipped my mind too. plus the title itself says "recording" and you're not the only one who missed that note so
n.b i usually shoot for 10-15mbps when manually recording offline (ReLive records between 10-12 at my settings and i find that sufficient for 98% of everything)

Last edited:
I personally use OBS with 20,000 kbps and that works pretty good, though it's still not perfect so I'll try 30,000 kbps and edit with the results!

Edit/Results: I skipped to 50,000 kbps and it's actually perfect! If your PC can handle 50,000 kbps then I highly reccomend it!!

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back