Why can't we post music replacements?

Marcos

Marcos
Ok so I got this thought:

The SRB2 Wiki tutorial tells us how to replace in-game songs, but then why can we modify them but not post them?

I understand it maybe enters copyright issues or stuff like.
Or maybe you don't want us to replace the music that you made, since it was a great improvement and feels like we don't like it.

I'm a bit curious

As I understand, the reason music replacements are forbidden is because they're so easy to make (unless you decide to compose your own original tracks), also other people might not share your taste in music so if it's just a bunch of different tracks from other games put into a wad it might not be worth creating a thread just for it.

Another reason they're not allowed is because people started forcing others to download them from their servers, which wouldn't be a big problem if music wads weren't so big in size.

*looks at their own addon* What SHOULD be done is to rename what's in the forum rules to music rips instead. Not many people are music-adepts so you wouldn't see a lot of music packs here to begin with, but if the stuff that does show clear effort is going through releases successfully, I at least think it'd be time the terminology oughta change.

I can somewhat understand not allowing wads that just replace the music with music from other games, or pre-existing music in general, though not because of taste differences. That would simply boil down to the same logic as any other wad. If you are into it, you download. Otherwise, you don't. More because of copyright, and the fact that it would be an easy way to download music that shouldn't be available for free.

However, I can't think of any reason why a music pack of entirely custom music that you made shouldn't be allowed. The problem with people forcing downloads on their server could be addressed in other ways, and can't be prevented by simply not allowing such files to be uploaded to the MB as there are other places people can go to upload and download SRB2 wads that don't make the cut here, not to mention people just making their own and then hosting a server with them.

It would be more practical to have the game prompt you with the option to download files over a certain size, and if the wad only contains music files it can be skipped while connecting to the server, whereas files that have more than just music being declined will boot you back to the title screen.

if the wad only contains music files it can be skipped while connecting to the server, whereas files that have more than just music being declined will boot you back to the title screen.

The game already does that as far as I know, but people started adding some extra lumps that make the game enter the modified state and forced people to download them if they were to join.

I agree that music addons that show effort and don't do that are okay though.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back