"Already done this" feeling

sluggard

Formerly "RomioTheBadass"
Do you ever get the feeling of "I already done this, I don't feel like doing it again" when playing SRB2?

I get that feeling with CEZ1 and the entirety of ERZ, they feel like they're missing something, ERZ especially because it feels dated compared to the rest of the levels now.

I can't relate to the feeling towards CEZ1 and, although with ERZ it's totally justified, please remember that the zone wasn't kept like that because the team wanted to. It's currently being redone from scratch, and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

I'm attempting to figure out an explanation for the CEZ1 feeling, probably along the lines of "you've been playing the same game for years now" or "you're an oldbie", but both of those sound kind of dismissive. Not much I can say otherwise to that.

...Maybe if you're bored try something from the releases section, perhaps a level pack that you haven't played before?

Yeah I'm already doing that, it's just something that I keep having every time I replay the campaign and reach those specific points, especially since I've been replaying it with each character recently, just curious if anyone felt something like this.

The levels have enough alternate paths that I don't think I get this feeling much on any zone except maybe Egg Rock Zone, which everyone seems to agree feels dated compared to the rest of the zones. I do sometimes feel that way with Techno Hill Zone Act 2 when I forget about the conveyor alternate paths.

Last edited:
For any game to have near infinite replayability with fixed content (such as seen with character-based platformers) is a very difficult task, and dedicated players will usually see everything the game could provide.

To fix it, game makers might put in elements of randomness, add mod/custom level support, introduce ridiculously time consuming and/or difficult challenges, or try to add as many layers of unlockable content and unlockable ways to play as possible. Even then, most gamers just buy or download a bunch of different games so they can go to the next when the last one is exhausted.

There's already a bunch of user-made levels available to try, and they have added quite a bit of playtime for me.

The only level that really gives me that feeling is THZ. I feel like I've explored every inch of that zone and there really isn't any standout parts to it that I look forward to.

Maybe its the fact that Castle Eggman Zone is epic, and you miss the amount of epicness, everything is known to you. You know all what the zone has to offer, so it's not as good? I dunno.

Techno Hill Zone I just dislike entirely. The music of both acts, and just the stages of all three, yes three because the boss is also lame.

While I love all the stages, Techno Hill is probably the only one I get kind of sick of.

If anything I have the problem where I stick to one route and always use that one in my playthroughs on each act. I really need to take Tails and Knuckles and comb over the acts to find all the goodies and secrets one day.

I've always viewed Sonic as a speedrunning game, so my tendency is just to blast through the stages as fast as possible and ignore the exploration element. I think the ring attack challenge in SRB2 is a great way of having to learn the level's ins-and-outs, though.

I do enjoy exploring the levels, I'm having fun hunting for emblems and doing Ring Attack challenges, and I also enjoyed taking other characters routes when I replayed the game with them (having finished the game with all the character just yesterday) I made sure I took different routes and tried to take their own routes, even if sometimes I still felt like I accidentally went through routes I already went through in my first playthrough.

I still find the game excellent for short bursts fun though, I sometimes just start it up and take the most obvious routes without thinking just because it feels good to play.

Last edited:
I really enjoy Techno Hill Act 2 but it feels a bit repetitive, and it's easy to get lost and lose the path forward in a few spots.

I would love it if maybe a weaker section was replaced with like a craaaaazy long slope, like in Chemical Plant.

You can really zip through THZ1 but then THZ2 slows it down a bit too much maybe

Do you ever get the feeling of "I already done this, I don't feel like doing it again" when playing SRB2?

I get that feeling with CEZ1 and the entirety of ERZ, they feel like they're missing something, ERZ especially because it feels dated compared to the rest of the levels now.

I just feel like not playing CEZ2 again, because it's too laggy to be fun, it just kills the stage.

Runs fine here, on a i3 even, unless you have a potato cpu lol.

CEZ2 also runs smooth for me (even the more detailed version in the original 2.2 release). One issue the team needs to deal with is the fact that some are trying to play the game on old-generation Celeron CPU's, which are a bit weaker than some phones at this point.

On games with software renderers, those machines just can't sustain anything with much more detail than Greenflower zone (at max FPS). CEZ2 would have to remade to be more corridor based with smaller areas for a good framerate (which for the rest of us wouldn't be near as fun).

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back