How do I code emerald locations into a level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblahbal

Act 3 FTW!!
How do I do this? What I mean is, like in Botanic Serenity, the emeralds do not appear when you open the file up with DB. Why this is important is because I don't want n00bs opening up my wad and finding exactly where the emeralds are. I'm pretty sure you can code this into a wad, so you don't need an exe mod to do this(sort of like with emblems).

I don't know how Botanic Serenity did it, but my guess is that a SOC with a relative teleport action for your emeralds will be what you are looking for. Of course, people will still be able to look at the SOC to figure out where they are being teleported to, but it will at least be harder than just looking at the map in DoomBuilder.

It's quite simple, actually. You just have to make and place a custom object that uses A_SpawnObjectAbsolute to spawn the emeralds in their respective locations after the map loads. Just be sure that the custom object you use to do this waits a frame before it starts spawning emeralds, and that the custom object is placed somewhere with a floor height of zero, and a ceiling height as high or higher than the highest placed emerald that will be spawned.

This isn't limited to emeralds, either. You can use this to hide the location of any object that would otherwise show up in the map editor... so don't be afraid to have some objects that would otherwise hint at the emerald's location.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back