• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

And now you can see that I know what I'm doing (kinda)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Hog

Alright, I've been hinting at a release of my latest match levels in the past, but so far nothing came of it.

Well, now it has.

Edit: Ignore the following paragraph; it's mostly been fixed, save the thokable wall.
First off, I'd like to warn you: MAP46 is CRAMPED. DOOM was never quite as spaceous as SRB2 is, so there are a lot of corridors to navigate, causing some possible camera problems. Don't want all that? "Chasecam 0" will therefore be your friend. And yes, I'm aware you can thok through the paper-thin wall in the room where the exit usually is. There's not a whole lot I can do about it right now (not sure WHAT to do about it), but the room has a thok barrier around it (much like the whole level) so I don't expect much nastiness to happen.

Also, the MAINCFG included links virtually ALL the multiplayer maps together, from my own custom (46, 48 and 49) to all the official ones (can't remember if CTF levels were in the loop, but I doubt it). If you don't like that, then... well, don't download. I did it for netgaming convenience, so we don't play the same 10 levels each loop but get the whole thing in one go.

Anyway, have fun with it, and constructive criticism plz kthxbye

Basic little reviews for your help.

46 is as you said, very cramped. This makes it impossible to run, the entire point of the SRB2 DM experience. Why not try scaling the map with the resize sector thing in WadAuthor? The basic layout is actually kinda neat.

48 is quite good, but it has one major problem. You have way too many weapons in the map. Rail and Homing is especially problematic. I'd personally suggest lowering the weapon type count to 2, and make that combination never include Rail + Homing or Explosion + Automatic. I do really quite like the layout. Texturing is really boring, though.

49 just seemed kinda empty and boring to me. I didn't play them in actual deathmatch, though, so I don't know if it has the same kind of appeal as Meadow Match does, however.

Overall, I'd say they're rather average. You definitely don't suck at layouts, but I'd work on getting the proper size and item placement. I also appreciate that they aren't symmetrical, which makes them more interesting. I hope to see more stuff out of you, preferrably stuff that isn't obviously ported over from Doom, and made natively in SRB2, so it plays a little better in SRB2.

Mystic said:
46 is as you said, very cramped. This makes it impossible to run, the entire point of the SRB2 DM experience. Why not try scaling the map with the resize sector thing in WadAuthor? The basic layout is actually kinda neat.
Oh, you can do that? Well, then, I won't hesitate in doing so. I agree entirely - being able to run is so much better.

Might have to lower the slime pits after that, but that shouldn't be a big problem.

Thanks you two. Map 46 has been updated - see same link. It's now nowhere near as cramped, though I had to add a few more stairs and move a few things around to make it work to my satisfaction. I think it plays much better now, overall.

Only downside right now is that the Impassable wall now doesn't have a texture that fits the hole it's in, nor does the texture hiding the secret path. Also, I desperately need to do some texture aligning on those stair cases. But, playability matters more, and I think this should work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back