• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Chaotic Cathedral (beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a match map I've been working on for a couple months and I decided it was time to have some feedback on it. Screenshots after download link here
Moderator Notice:
editing beta period expired, link removed
http://www.xanderb.vacau.com/downloads/cathedral.wad
srb20001.png
srb20002.png
srb20003.png
srb20004.png
Thanks in advance for your support. Oh and for some reason I couldn't post attatchments so I had to host the files on my own site...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! He looks good! I want to try it!
...ah yes. For the placement of items, I do not see on any screen specials rings (automatic, grenade, scatter, etc.)Put it a bit. Ah yes, too ...

I see a bunch of rings in all directions. It's bad. Ok, there may be a large area. But fill it with rings is a bad idea. Place several small batch of 5-10 rings circle somewhere in a room, but please, no rings that cover the entire surface.

Visually, it's very good! And I think that's the hardest thing to achieve ! Finish this level and I will be happy !

Looks real big and uninteresting. Try adding more scenery and are you a new member and if you are that is good for a beginner. Also you should name the file like m_Cathedral instead of just cathedral so everybody can know what type is the level if they forget what type it is.

Last edited:
Okay, wow. Here we have an interesting theme that was executed horribly.

First, I'd recommend using the file prefixes (call the file 'mt_chaoticcathedral.wad'). Second, this theme would make for a really cool Single Player map, but as a Match level it's really lacking (not to mention the fact that symmetrical maps are a terrible idea for Match levels). It's INSANELY huge, to the point that it causes problems (I SIGSEGV'd almost instantly after entering the level, and had to play it in OpenGL instead), and this is likely due to how obscenely high the ceiling is.

But now, enough with general problems, and on to the slightly more nitpicky. What the heck is a hi-tech gravity flip doing inside an ancient cathedral? And how, may I ask, are players supposed to return to normal gravity? The open ceiling is not deadly, and therefore traps any player who falls up into it in reverse gravity. It is also a little too unfinished to be called a proper "beta" if you ask me, because there are no weapon rings, monitors, or Chaos Emerald spawns.

I recommend that you keep the idea, but start all over, this time with a few fundamental changes in mind. First, I know that cathedrals have high ceilings, but you have to lower yours to make your level playable. Second, try doing a Single Player level instead--far more potential. Third, lose the gravity gimmicks and think more about what dangers might really lurk in an ancient cathedral. Maybe some of the gigantic crucifixes could fall and crush the player when he stands underneath them, or sections of the floor could give way, or you could make the player smash through the stained-glass windows, or have the player dive into a giant pool of holy water. With the right imagination, this level could be epic, but you really got off on the wrong foot. Just reboot the whole plan.

Last edited:
srb20001.png

We need to float these emeralds.

srb20002.png

What I do now ?

If you want to create a hole in the ceiling of death, you should Take a look at the type linedef 8 on wiki, which put certain effects in the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back