• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

New Character

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first character ever; tell me what you think!!!

shadey.png

Note:he will also have twin katanas. :)

No.
I can already tell this is going to be horrible for 3 reasons.

1. It's a recolor.
2. Your drawn sprites are horrendous.
3. It's a Sonic fancharacter, and we all know how those end up.

Now please, once you get some originality and better computer drawing skills, come back and try again.

Last edited:
Better yet, mess around with this guy to improve your drawing skills until you're ready for a serious foray into spriting. You don't have to announce and release it here to toy with some spritework, and while as a forum release it might be wasted effort but if you use it solely for self-improvement, then you've got nothing to lose. (well, you'll still lose time if you don't put effort into practicing)

I did a single solitary sprite of Alice Margatroid once for practice... I didn't make a topic about it on the forum, and I didn't obsess over the fact she looked like something from Earthbound... I just showed it to a few friends as a product of my boredom, took some helpful advice, and set it aside.

I do have to admit, that sprite doesn't look to good. But, let's not bash him. This is this guy's first wad. Let's say something constructive.

@Fyrus: Oh, and by the way, who says fan characters are bad? I don't think so.

I do like the katanas idea, though.

Edit: Uh, I probably should pratice what I preach.

One problem I see with this sprite is the eyes. The pupils are too blurred. Also, the body is too small. Try to enlarge it so it will be proportional to the head.

Last edited:
Oh, and by the way, who says fan characters are bad? I don't think so.

Well, not necessarily, especially if fan characters are based around original concepts and go beyond a simple recoloring of an existing character. The problem is that the portion of fan characters fitting that description is very, very slim. Hench the negative reputation of fan characters.

As for Mephiles's sprite... I'm not thrilled about it, but I'm not gonna discourage him from tinkering with it. So I'll basically second what JEV3 said.

The legs could be attatched more naturally to the torso. Right now, it looks as if you've stuck a pencil in a ball of clay. Enlongating the torso a little may help with that. Also, I'm not sure how well katanas will work in-game. I can't remember any released sprite that had unsheathed weapons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back