Has anyone ever tried to play SRB2 without jumping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimes

the typo fixer
hello moderators, can you delete this thread?
i genuinely do not like it anymore and i've long basically moved on from the srb2 community.

Last edited:
I Can't find a way to get into the cave (GFZ1) before the checkpoint, guess it's not possible to do in every map .
EDIT : Nevermind, get hurt by badniks .

I didn't bother doing it after my first attempt because It's not worth it / Time waste .

Question: Are we talking about the jump button, or actually jumping? Because THZ2 (and I'd wager plenty of other stages) is possible without jumping, but you need the jump button to trigger the whirlwind shield when walking off ledges. Actually, it's almost trivial once you get the shield.

I haven't done much in this category but here are some preliminary thoughts:

THZ1: Need a jump right at the beginning to get on the pipe.
THZ2: This pipe you can just walk on, however. Once you get to the drop off before the whirlwind shield, you can charge a spindash to get to the pipe on the far side of the room. From there it's easy to get the whirlwind shield. Without the shield, you can walk off the pipe onto the spring shell to get across the room, spindash into the next room with the moving blocks, and here I believe you'd be stuck. It may be possible to damage boost using the buzz from the previous room but I haven't tried it.
THZ3: There's no high ground to get spindashes off.

DSZ1: I think you'd be stuck at the room with all the skims right before the collapsing platform and attraction shield.
DSZ2: How to get out of the pool: https://gfycat.com/VacantTornAfricanclawedfrog This map is probably stuck when you have to jump over some spikes in the underwater slide though.
DSZ3: Haven't tried it but it should be possible to spin into him. You'd have to be really quick getting onto the capsule before it rises though.

Last edited:
Question: Are we talking about the jump button, or actually jumping? Because THZ2 (and I'd wager plenty of other stages) is possible without jumping, but you need the jump button to trigger the whirlwind shield when walking off ledges. Actually, it's almost trivial once you get the shield.

I haven't done much in this category but here are some preliminary thoughts:

THZ2: This pipe you can just walk on, however. Once you get to the drop off before the whirlwind shield, you can charge a spindash to get to the pipe on the far side of the room. From there it's easy to get the whirlwind shield. Without the shield, you can walk off the pipe onto the spring shell to get across the room, spindash into the next room with the moving blocks, and here I believe you'd be stuck. It may be possible to damage boost using the buzz from the previous room but I haven't tried it.

DSZ1: I think you'd be stuck at the room with all the skims right before the collapsing platform and attraction shield.
DSZ2: How to get out of the pool: https://gfycat.com/VacantTornAfricanclawedfrog This map is probably stuck when you have to jump over some spikes in the underwater slide though.
DSZ3: Haven't tried it but it should be possible to spin into him. You'd have to be really quick getting onto the capsule before it rises though.

I think whirlwind shield should be allowed. It's not "actual" jumping. It would make some stages like THZ2 and DSZ1 even possible.

Personally, I'm excited to see this challenge get potentially blown open in 2.2 when more levels have slopes to roll off of. The jumpless solution for the new GFZ1 is already really cool thanks to them.

By the way, ERCZ jumpless when? That sounds like it'd be hell to not roll off the edge of the platform in the later phases.

I'm liking that this topic has been taken seriously and hasn't just devolved into parallel universe/half A press memes, it's interesting to see what is and isn't possible with the level design in the game.

Funnily enough, when comparing SM64 and SRB2 with memes aside, there's no parallel universes because IIRC you can't get speed on sorts to clip out of bounds, which would act like a crusher/black hole.
There's also no use on holding A before starting, because it would not register as jumping, but if you somehow got an Emmie ticket (as I like to call emerald tokens), you MUST be an cloud cuckoo lander to literally finish the levels slowly.

Last edited:
I think AGZ is impossible to finish without jumping

Yep, you get stuck at the second platform in the stage. You have one shot to get a damage boost from some BASHes but it won't get you high enough: https://gfycat.com/BlondAgreeableGoldeneye (starting 20 units off the ground because that's how high the sector borders are)

And spindashing won't get you to the next platform further down either. If my math is right you have 9 tics after leaving a ledge before you're too low to step up to a floor at the same height; A full charged spindash will only get you 810 fracunits in that timespan, which is only about halfway to the next platform.

Yes, but I was only able to get past green flower zone 1. Actually now that I think of it, I might not have even beat it. :/

I've beaten up to GFZ3 without jumping before in the earlier 2.0 versions, and got stuck at the platform segment in THZ1. But, now that we have different THZ level design, I might be willing to give it another go....

This is why and how "NxA presses" was invented.

Oh my dear, I never expected this thread to quickly explode!
At least it didn't devolve to teenagers who are tiny boar piglets in disguise spamming "GRAYUD DAD FLENSTONS" and "BAT FAST WEE GONA TALK ABOUT PAWALL UNIVUSS".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back