• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Dumbventure ...TOO!? El Papero Mareio - *In English! - Progress Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
srb20233.gif

Instead of the standard point system, now you have COMBOS!

It works off the same scoring system of the NSMB series, but now you can chain jumps AND hammer swings together! you probably wont find too many opportunities to get 1ups for the sake of balance, but it's better than the hammer giving you almost nothing for points! Some enemies may reward more to the combo meter. And yes, the combo counter will also have the OK GOOD GREAT etc text in the future. Oh, and the 2up is the result of score. I may have to do something about that.

srb20234.gif

Last edited:
Paper Mario is one of my favorite RPGs and one of the few RPGs I've finished to completion. It's the one game that kept me hooked to want to keep on playing and playing.

It's impressive to see you make something like this. Keep up the good work. You have my support with this one.

(Turn Based battle system?)

srb20241.gif

So I added some combo text to the combo counter. Now, this gif represents a lot about the limitations of HUD modding. I tried caching actual sprites for the text, but they were too big and there was too many of them, so I just got rid of them. They were kinda big and bloated anyways. Then, I added this text here. I tried coloring it, and the game just outright crashed instead. I then tried adding an icon for the combo itself, but apparently, 5 images total is too much for the HUD to cache, so I had to get rid of it and just use the score icon. Then, I tried moving the text over behind the icon, but I couldn't because when I did, the game would crash seconds after I stomped on anything.

Because of the HUD issues, I actually had to cut some things, like swappable Badges to change your spin combo abilities (like swapping your quake hammer or double jump), or the Inventory system where you can hold certain powerups for use at anytime. Having to cut this and that, it feels really crappy to have to trim things out of your own project that you COULD do, but something stupid says "nope" and you're out of luck.

In addition, to even do this, or anything else for the matter, I had to give up going to the OLDC, because of C Overflow errors involving Lua scripting. The very same thing that killed my BOOLET project. As a result, this one wad is now two wads, meaning I can't enter it into the OLDC, even if it is one map. Because of that, I've been feeling pretty down. It's always fun to get feedback and compete in the OLDC, but with that out of the way, I'm not feeling so motivated to finish so soon...

VYrY7Ol.png

In more positive news, I decided to make the 1up the Life Shroom. Works like.. well, a 1up does. Should I stick with it, or go with the green shroom?

Last edited:
The controls look a bit too slippery to be Paper Mario-esque. It would need to be full acceleration all the time with max friction.

Aside from that, this looks freaking sick. I want to see this come through to completion, whatever form that may take.

There needs to be a SRB2 patch that fixes up Lua purposely for making this project fully possible.

This is just looking so good, and seeing how it felt like it could be taken even further but then the game just screws up for no reasons is a huge downer. Here hoping that you can find a way around it to make things you had planned to work properly.

srb20242.gif

So I finally got around to making coins. I just edited the eReader sprites, is all.
...But they look pretty lame at this resolution, so here's some level shots too!

Br3arM9.png

eRwu8C7.png

WMVFBJY.png

Some textures will be replaced with more paper-y ones, but this project has come quite a ways... even if the current level is really small. It'll get bigger than this, trust me.

KdiebJh.png

Alright, it has a name now. Is it all you been waiting for!? Probably not.

Last edited:
I'm super duper excited and I can't wait!

Except, 'yknow, this is going up against me in the OLDC. I don't want to come second again ;_;

Yes, thanks to the version that will be out SUPER soon, if not by the time this post is up, I'll be entering the OLDC again! I will be uploading a demo instead of trying to cram an entire mod in a level, but it'll still be of reasonable size. The project in general will be much bigger than Dumbventure Volume 1, that's for sure!

FairAgitatedAltiplanochinchillamouse.gif

While fixing the code to make this sequence possible in the first place, I then made it better.

*In English

Mareio is not an English word, you fucking lying PRICKvfnsbusrtocx.

On a more serious note though, the latest SRB2 update apparently improved the Lua coding so that the game can hold larger amounts of Lua code. Any chance of bringing back the BOOLET project? I was really looking forward to it.

I can't wait to see what you do in this one that will ruin my image of a beloved old video game character.

On a more serious note though, the latest SRB2 update apparently improved the Lua coding so that the game can hold larger amounts of Lua code. Any chance of bringing back the BOOLET project? I was really looking forward to it.

Haven't tried it yet. I keep forgetting which version Boolet has most of its code left, before the butchering, revamping, and then dropping it. The code I'm using for this project could be used for the most recent boolet for controls that make sense, but for now, I just wanna work on this. Maybe next time.

Speaking of this project, as a follow up to the intro...

LividInfatuatedAmphiuma.gif

Yeah, not perfect, but I still think it looks cool.

Last edited:
D00D you are too awesome. By the way, how did you do the intro anyways? Was it through complex linedef setups or was it a Lua script?

D00D you are too awesome. By the way, how did you do the intro anyways? Was it through complex linedef setups or was it a Lua script?

There's a script to get rid of the mod's own player camera, but aside from that, it's all linedefs and silent teleportation. It's actually not as hard as I remember... just a lot of testing the game, adjusting cameras/objects/geometry, testing, adjusting, testing, adjusting... eh.

Anywhos, its been way too long since I made an enemy, so...

HardImaginaryAmericanquarterhorse.gif

Spinies! I was gonna have spiked goombas, but then I realised that without RPG mechanics, they were pretty much the same, except for Lakitu throwing Spiny Eggs, so I'm just gonna stick with Spiny here. It's just a goomba you can't jump on, but that's enough. I may adjust his colors, since he still looks too washed out. Speaking of colors, I was also considering a blue one that shell dashes at you that I can use on later areas. He has no Spiny Egg form yet, but that'll be simple enough. Lakitu would be way trickier... But that's for another time.

Oh, and since 2.1.10 also fixed my HUD issues, the combo counter has its own unique icon now, and the combo text (not shown here) is properly aligned.

Last edited:
D00D I highly suggest you please make every gif you post from this point on hidden behind spoiler tags. Please.

Edit: thanks

Last edited:
This OLDC is going to be much better than expected, thanks to Cloud Convoy and Mareio DumbVenture. I can't wait to play those levels!

WelloffForkedGerenuk.gif

Invisible blocks are a staple of the Mario series, and Paper Mario is no exception, but since you can't make a block that's intangible until you strike it from below... I did this dumb thing instead. I could make a ? block spawn somewhere else instead of right below the player... but would I want to? Oh, and that's the 25 Coin Box I mentioned earlier. The coin boxes go 5 - Red, 10 - Blue, and 25 - Green, to match the Mushroom/Super/Ultra color order. I was thinking of bumping it to 50 coins ala the Ultra Shroom, since they'd be REAL well hidden, but I dunno.

Last edited:
since you can't make a block that's intangible until you strike it from below...
Haven't tested, but can't you combine an intangible from top/sides FOF with ceiling-only Sector Special Parameters and a linedef executor trigger to make a solid, visible FOF appear? Kind of overkill but from what I've seen you'd be up to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back