sonics reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the looks of shadow the hedgehog, and Sonic 06, I think so.

Also, Why are you talking about it here when you can talk about it on the topic that was already made on the Sega Boards?

Fyrus said:
His reputation is fine. He's had his ups and downs, like every series, but his are just a bit more noticable.
speaking of being noticeable, it seems that most of the "sonic games suck" people are usually mario fans or classic sonic game fans. or is it just me?

time gear said:
speaking of being noticeable, it seems that most of the "sonic games suck" people are usually mario fans or classic sonic game fans. or is it just me?

I believe that would be the majority... I'm not sure it necessarily has anything to do with Mario.

Generally, I think the critics are the ones who dictate Sonic's reputation, and that it no longer has anything at all to do with the games that come out. Sometimes its justified, sometimes it just seems unfair. The SA series are considered some of the best even though they had the same gameplay-interrupting split focus as Unleashed has... SA was critically acclaimed, Unleashed was mixed at best.

Critical reviews will always point out the flaws and qualities of the game, however it is the tone that always makes the biggest difference. If just by looking over the article you get a negative vibe, chances are it is going to mean more to you than their analysis of the good points and bad points. Every single time I read a negative Sonic article, I can't help but feel a little disgruntled, though recently my frustration has been directed to the negativity rather than the game it covers.

There are probably two reasons why most reviews sound bad. The first is that Sonic Team has a tendency to implement new ideas without judging whether the core concept works and usually without judging how well it would be received. (spinoffs for successful characters would be embraced by the fans...) The second is that it is more effective, from a business perspective, for the critics to abide by "The Cycle" (which seems to be worshiped in some areas of the Sonic fanbase). They establish every game leading up to the one game as miserably horrid, and then emphasize how the new game will change that. Then, when its out, something is going to earn it some hate. It probably is enough to get Sonic more attention than even Mario in editorials and the like. (though we've still got the casual controversy to remember Nintendo for)

I'm sure I wasn't the only one that was thinking that "If Sonic Team could only just give their games a little polish, we might be more forgiving about the gameplay itself". Maybe this was indeed true, since the Wii version of Unleashed scored well, but then everyone says the other version is better, and if it has the same level of quality and polish and yet scores miserably, then it makes it a rather different comparison to draw.

After seeing some of the coverage of Black Knight, which cites Sonic Unleashed where the articles covering Unleashed cited Sonic 06, I've come under the impression that this is about status quo. It's probably best to try and focus as much as possible on the pros-cons part of the article and ignore editorials or rants. In the end, it really is not worth the drama... you should be basing whether or not you buy the game on what you are willing to play, not what score it receives or the way others regard it.

IMO, it's not just Sonic, but Mario and Zelda too, and more less, Megaman. Said franchises have been around for almost 20 years, and more. Lately, it's been stale idea after stale idea. Granted, these characters have been the ones we all love and know, but it's time for some new ones.

Funny enough, despite being an experimental process, Sonic Team is actually trying to introduce new and interesting ideas into the series, it's going to be hit and miss, what would you expect? Look at how many Sonic games there are.

Mostly why I've stopped buying video games unless they're unique and fresh, most of the time for movies, sequals are worse than it's predecessor. The video gaming industry is of no exception.

time gear said:

What does Mario have to do with this?

Quite personally, Sonic has lost what rep he used to have. Back in the days of the dinosaurs (sarcasm), Sonic was a hit solely based on the design for basic 2D leveling. Trying to keep this little blue critter up to speed while dodging various obstacles was the reason several first were drawn to sonic. The plots back then were basic, just sonic chasing after eggman, with help from a friend. This friend somehow ended up playing a major role near the end of the game (except for Amy)

Then Sonic got to TV. They kept his speedy lifestyle about the same, but now he had an attitude. They get a lot of mileage out of running him on a TV show (Still do)

Then, the world of 3D graphics comes along, and now little kiddies can experience Sonic like they never have before. Being behind him as he speeds on corners, loops, and other obstacles, 3D gave Sonic more of a feeling of reality. The only problem: Now Sonic is sharing the spotlight, and eggman seems to have lost his touch to some other mystical force that becomes unexplicably strong (chaos emeralds). And now Sonic isn't fighting just eggman anymore, but something else. At this point in Sonic's history, the downfall began. Plots started sucking, there were too many stories all at once. It almost seemed as if they made the 3D effects to cover up how bad the plot sucked.

Finally, 3D graphics get to the point where they are practically life-like, and that's when everything goes wrong. At the great risk of the precious plot, game designers rushed through the plot just so they could produce outstanding graphics, and they paid a heavy price for it with Sonic '06.

So has Sonic lost his reputation? Yes. What valuable time they should have spent working on the plot, they used on graphics. Now everyone just thinks Sonic is dull as opposed to how impossibly fun he used to be.

From what I played on sonic unleashed (which by the way I finally bought XD), sonic should take a 2 year break on games and let the comics back him up for now.

And as I look at countless ratings,games, rants, and logical correct forms about sonic.....SEGA needs to shape up. To be honest, it's obvious that Satbk won't do as well as SA/ SA2 from the dreamcast years to what happens to be the up comming dark age of video games for sonic now.

Unleashed has positive views, but more negative it seems. I ignored the anger fest i saw with IGN, gamepro, plus most vien-popping fanboys and decided to just agree with what I witnessed with the gameplay on both formats (different systems).
Overall, unleashed can't be called a pile of crap, but a decent scraped from the bottom game with a scrpt that could of been a masterpiece back in the mid 80's.

Sonic cannot die cause his past rep has given him a name as a character with traits you don't see from current protagonist in games now.

like I just mentioned earlier, sonic needs a 2 year vacation (or a retirement really) to save what's left of him now, cause we happen to be in a time of generic fanchises.

MasterJace said:
IMO, it's not just Sonic, but Mario and Zelda too, and more less, Megaman.
Mario has too many games, and such a good reputation that HE IS the fastest, and best video game character we ever saw, at some point that humiliated, in some way, Sonic, no kidding...

Link had some good reputation, especially in the GC games, which were awesome (didn't played them though), still, it's the only famous character who had less games (8/9 games at least, I think), but the 3D renderation and gameplay was soooooooo good that he makes me remind me something: "it's better to go slowy and having no problems than rush and having bigger problems in front of you" (hence Sonic '06 and you'll problably understand).

Megaman was problably already dead since I didn't heard about Megaman games for a while. But the 2D games were problably the most challenging shooting/platforming games, and the fact of having new weapons when you beat a boss was the best idea I've ever heard, as it can help on the stages.

Sonic, as far as I've saw, is not dead yet, and Unleashed, alongside with Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity are putting him in a good way. And even Sonic and the Black Knight has potential. True though, Sonic '06 was the biggest downfall Sonic has ever had, so I can say he's pretty much balanced: between Good and Limits.

Megaman was problably already dead since I didn't heard about Megaman games for a while. But the 2D games were problably the most challenging shooting/platforming games, and the fact of having new weapons when you beat a boss was the best idea I've ever heard, as it can help on the stages.

Tch, it was dead when they came out with the last (for the playstation) mega man x game and when advent came out. The story should of just stayed as it was......Zero is a hero, peace between reploids and humans are settled, the end.

Also, you should of added in metroid as well. After all, the games are just as popular as any of them. Might not be as much talk but they are something to be reconized.

In all honesty, (In the 3-D universe) Sonic's gameplay has never...oh and I MEAN Never, had the EXACT same gameplay, even SA and SA2 had different gameplay (most noted: Tails), was Sonic Riders and and Zero Gravity Exactly the same? No. Though SEGA's latest games may have been good for some reviewers, but you sure as hell have to give them Props for at least Trying. Which is why I find Mario Games So Easy, because in terms in gameplay, IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME!!! Sonic Unleashed for the Wii/PS2 didn't have as much platforming in the daytime stages in the 360/PS3 version but hey...at least Sonic Team's Gameplay isn't rehashed...
(BTW, Sonic '06 was rushed which explains all of the glitches, personally, I'd have preferd a Good Sonic '07 than a crappy '06)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back