7 Zip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

time gear

Eternity in an hour
i keep seeing topics that say you need win-rar to unzip files, but i have 7 zip that unzips them and its free. im not trying to make a point, im just saying that you can unzip things without paying for win-rar.
AND 7 zip unzip's rar files! all that for free. so why do people say you need win-rar?

yah but i had to get my comp fixed because of win-rar (cough-vista-cough) but with 7 zip you dont even need to open a window you just right click and choose extract with 7 zip or extract here.

Winrar does that too.

As far as I care, the difference between Winrar and other unzipping software is pure taste. It's not like with browsers where one is clearly better than the other.

This doesn't exactly pertain to srb2 so moved here. I do like using 7-zip. The compression is pretty good it sometimes can be smaller then rar. Its also nice that it can zip smaller files then the default windows extraction tool.

Yeah, I use 7zip on my other comp, but on my old one it usually can't allocate enough memory. :/
It can sometimes, but most of the time it can't. 7zip and WinRAR are prety much the same, except 7Zip can zip smaller and is generally a little cleaner. They can both compile self extracting EXEs, they are both backwards compatable, and both have a simple interface. I like WinRAR's comment system and virus scanner. I also like the repair option.

I use 7z as im just plain use to it, the only time it let me down is when it deleted my college work but that's a different story....

I use both. WinRar is OK for compression, but 7zip does a better job. I like WinRar though because .rar is a popular format now-a-days.

7Zip is definitely a good choice to have has a zipping/unzipping software. Gets the job done fast and easy. And I believe I saw somewhere, a file zipped in 7z format... When I unzipped, the total of the files inside was near 32 MB *jaw drops*. It must have been my imagination, but nonetheless, 7Zip sometimes compresses stuff at about 7 times more than a zip compressing (hence the name).

7-zip is a very useful unzipping application to use when extracting files from RAR files, such as downloading mmorpg's, opening wad packs, and disecting wad files to their basic components. =|

time gear said:
yah but i had to get my comp fixed because of win-rar (cough-vista-cough) but with 7 zip you dont even need to open a window you just right click and choose extract with 7 zip or extract here.
Right, Vista broke your computer. I love ignorant people, it makes me want to slice my face on a cheese grater.

JigglyWiggly said:
Right, Vista broke your computer. I love ignorant people, it makes me want to slice my face on a cheese grater.

Look more closely at this:

yah but i had to get my comp fixed because of win-rar

comp fixed because of win-rar

because of win-rar

win-rar

He's saying Win-RAR doesn't work well with Vista. Not that Vista broke his computer, although I can see that happening. Remember Windows ME? I bet that was your favorite.

WinRAR actually lets me specify a default extraction folder (a habit I acquired from using WinZip), and it also supports just about all the major formats (ZIP, RAR, 7Z, LZH, TAR, etc.). I haven't really seen any other programs that can claim to do both of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back