Shaking/Wobbling in Software mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only happens in chasecam 1 in Software.

The best way I can describe it is that everything is wobbly when I move, especially when jumping at high speeds. Another description would be that the camera is...bumpy?

Recorded in action (download the video direct because YouTube is not exactly the best with their compression and framerate skewing): http://www.mediafire.com/watch/5276mlepv7thk8i/SRB2_Wobbly_Camera.mp4

Focus on the walls as Sonic is jumping...don't you feel them awkwardly shaking? Doesn't happen in OpenGL at all. Maybe this is normal, I don't know.

Occurs both in fullscreen and in windowed modes, regardless of resolution.

System specs of two desktop computers that I have this issue on:

Operating Systems: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (previously 7s)
CPUs: Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz, Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz
Graphics cards: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti
Monitors: Dell U2711 (max resolution: 2560x1440) (both)

Does anyone else experience this?

Preliminary investigation suggests that this is a typical behaviour of the Software rendering engine which is particularily noticable to you but not necessarily to others. It exists in part due to an inaccurate FINETANGENT table. The good news is that it can be regenerated, but the bad news is that at the current level of precision the results may not be significantly different at high speeds like in your provided video. In addition, this would only be fixed for new builds- and since we've committed to not making a patch post 2.1.14...

Just keeping you posted.

Live in ignorance; And purchase happiness

Yes, this is definitely an issue for anyone used to OpenGL. AFAIK it shouldn't have anything to do with the FINETANGENT table, but software's weird perspective issues might be the problem. Software kind of half-asses it for a significant performance boost while GL uses actual perspective correction, which is why even without the camera bobbing differences, the game looks oddly different between the two renderers.

This log might shed some light on the issue:
Jan 19 00:06:31 <RedEnchilada> hey, it has a 90 degree FOV just like the opengl renderer does
Jan 19 00:06:24 <Wolfy> i find that hard to believe
Jan 19 00:06:35 <Wolfy> one of the renderers must've fucked up the code for FOV
Jan 19 00:06:46 <Wolfy> cause TD in both renderers looks oddly different
Jan 19 00:07:40 <RedEnchilada> that's because of the weird software renderer perspective
Jan 19 00:08:21 <RedEnchilada> where it just moves the vanishing point up and down to look at different angles instead of actually doing perspective correction
Jan 19 00:08:54 <RedEnchilada> because if it did do that, it'd be impossible to run on any computer that our target audience uses
Jan 19 00:11:38 <Wolfy> that's
Jan 19 00:11:40 <Wolfy> hilarious, actually
Jan 19 00:11:46 <Wolfy> is that why it bobs in that weird manner
Jan 19 00:11:55 <Wolfy> i noticed that the camera feels a lot smoother in GL
Jan 19 00:12:39 <RedEnchilada> maybe?
Jan 19 00:13:00 <RedEnchilada> you see, in doom itself, the camera's vertical angle was locked into looking straight on at all times
Jan 19 00:12:39 <Wolfy> so it didn't become an issue until mouselook happened
Jan 19 00:13:28 <RedEnchilada> because doing so allowed them to get away with a lot of rendering optimizations in the software renderer, like the perspective quirk
Jan 19 00:14:44 <RedEnchilada> srb2 gets away with adding mouselook to that because the camera angle is rarely sharp enough to make for a significant difference (outside of match mode, anyway), and even when it is, the exact bounds of the viewpoint usually aren't a concern
Jan 19 00:15:45 <RedEnchilada> unfortunately, top down (as well as cloud convoy and any similar maps) have both a sharp enough angle to make the perspective distortion noticeable and a heavy focus on the edges of the visible screen
Jan 19 00:15:36 <Wolfy> which is why GL <3
Jan 19 00:17:16 <RedEnchilada> sure, opengl has proper perspective and hardware acceleration, but software has a ton of rendering effects that are a distinctive part of the game's style by now

I don't think this should be considered a bug, but I'll leave that up to someone more knowledgeable to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back