• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Eggman walks like never before! (TackleMobileV03.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morph

The reason I am starting this topic is the fact, that it has always annoyed me, that there is no walking eggman robot. All eggheads were just flying and firing stuff at you.

So I tried to create a walking eggman robot with melee attacks and it turned out to be quite nice. I think I still have to do some necessary improvement and want to hear your opinnions about it.

This wad exchanges the first map with a little arena and the boss inside to check it out. Defeating the boss will open the exit.
'Nuff explanations... Here the LINK ;)

---------------------------------------------------
update:
version 2 is out ---> LINK1 ; LINK2 (alternate)
---------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
version 3 is out ---> LINK1 ; LINK2 (alternate)

Now this is interesting. Finally, somebody makes a ground-based boss! I downloaded it because it seemed like another buggy SOC to see what you messed up, but it isn't.

It's awesome.

First, you start off in a little room and run up to a spring. The spring bounces you to an arena filled with lava and Eggman is there, waiting. He walks toward you on spring legs (WTF) and keeps following you. So, you just hit him. When you do, he starts jumping around madly with a red trail, and you must avoid him or you'll get hurt. After several more hits, the machine's legs will fall off and Eggman will fly away. The door will open, and you'll move on to GFZ2. I played this through multiple times, it was that good.
Admittedly, the death state wasn't very good, and Eggman should have remained visible throughout the battle. However, the sprites were badly spliced. Springs as legs? That just doesn't look good. What you need are spring-loaded legs. Also, the start of the arena was unneeded and the bottom half of the Eggmobile was cut off.
I give the whole WAD a 7/10 for lack of good Eggman sprites, but the SOC part of this a 9/10. I feel that this could become solid enough to become a real boss if there are new sprites made for it.

1. What did your post say?
2. Whats wrong with SS?
3. I haven't played it yet but it seems good, I'll try it later.

EDIT: Oops, I posted at the same time as Bioncel....

He needs to be more like a mech, and less like a pogo. Eggman also needs to A_fireshot 121 accasionally.

The initial problem with bosses that only use melee attacks, is that you can just hold spindash to completely avoid every attack. You pretty much have to use some sort of projectile attack in order to make a boss like that much of a challenge.

Draykon said:
The initial problem with bosses that only use melee attacks, is that you can just hold spindash to completely avoid every attack. You pretty much have to use some sort of projectile attack in order to make a boss like that much of a challenge.
You haven't tried it, have you? You can not just sit there, spindash and wait when he starts to tackle you. I fixed that problem. :wink:

Bioncel said:
It's awesome.
Thank you. :)
Bioncel said:
I give the whole WAD a 7/10 for lack of good Eggman sprites
Well... Actually I was kind of proud of the sprites. I know they are a little cheap, but it took much time to get only these "feet" work so that it looks the right way from every point of view. But you have a point there... I am not a good spriter. ^^

on Edge said:
He needs to be more like a mech, and less like a pogo.
Do you mean the sprites or the fact that he jumps so often?
on Edge said:
Eggman also needs to A_fireshot 121 accasionally.
I wouldn't do that because that's what almost every "new" boss has... an exploding projectile. :-/

I would say it needs to charge like it does when you hit it more often. Only one charge, though. Multiple charges would just be cheap. How about... One charge attack every six seconds? You could take one charge attack off the attack when he's been hit.
Also, I think it would be a lot better with the "Gworble" sound effect from Sonic CD's first boss in .wav format. Each time it takes a step, the sound should trigger. If you do this, you should add two of them in. One step triggers one sound, the other step triggers the other. This way the sound isn't cut off if it steps too quickly.
Speaking of quick stepping, it needs a panic mode. Eggman puts the machine into overdrive and starts stomping around about twice as fast, maybe?

Boinciel said:
I would say it needs to charge like it does when you hit it more often. Only one charge, though. Multiple charges would just be cheap. How about... One charge attack every six seconds?

How about: REACTIONTIME = 10 ?

UPDATE

So here is an update for the mobile. I had not much time because of work but finally I can release the next version. You can find the downloadlink in the first post.

The mobile tackles now from time to time even if you don't hit it, plus I tried to create a new death animation: Eggman teleports himself now away after he died.
Lifepoints were reduced to 6. It thought that more points wouldn't make him much harder but much more annoying.

To give more of you the chance to check this out I used a different upload service which is multilingual, too. And again I would like to hear suggestions. ^^

Is too.

Haven't actually tried this up until now, it's actually a rare savior, a boss that's actually unique.

Though I noticed you broke tradition a bit, with the altered death and pain frames. Any particular reason you didn't do the usual black-flashes-white effect? Also, the teleportation sequence wasn't really dramatic enough, after dealing the final blow I'm usually facing away from it.

metalsonicmk72 said:
Update link is unclickable...
Morph said:
You can find the downloadlink in the first post.

Draykon said:
Though I noticed you broke tradition a bit, with the altered death and pain frames. Any particular reason you didn't do the usual black-flashes-white effect? Also, the teleportation sequence wasn't really dramatic enough, after dealing the final blow I'm usually facing away from it.
Well no, there is no particular reason I broke the tradition. I guess I should make him flashing in the next version.
As for the teleportation sequence: Yes you are right it is a little short and not very dramatic but I had much troubles with the animation because I first tried to use a new object for the special effect... which failed. Maybe I should give him first these explosions the normal bosses have when they die and then make him teleport away...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWS:
Today I modified the look of the mobile in a certain way because so many people were saying that it wasn't so good. I would like to hear from you if it looks better or worse this way.

old look ||||||||||||||| new look
(not animated) |||||| (animated)

cd3caaf202d504e69f27940ca.png
5ee6e25d4d08b31ea7822bba6.gif

And here it is Tackle Mobile V03:

2002138867604491754_rs.jpg

I repainted the whole mobile and improved the pain- and death animations. Please check it out and give some comments. This boss needs to get attention! ;)

Download link in the first post.

I never saw a walking boss on SRB2... It's quite good, anyways. The sprites are okay, too. ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back