You should know Psychonauts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morph

This game is awesome! It got my attention when I was watching a video on screwattack. Since then I watched more videos on youtube and gathered more information on other websites. They all were telling that this game was a masterpiece and an unforgettable experience. So what did I do? Yep, I bought the PC version (since my "newest console is N64) at an online store for only 6 bucks! Never was money better spent! :D

Psychonauts is the child of Tim Schafer an ex-staff-member of LucasArts who founded Double Fine productions in the year 2000. He is mostly known for his work on adventure games like "Day of the Tentacle" or "Grim Fandango". So is Psychonauts an adventure game?
Kind of... It's a unique mixture of an adventure and a platform game. As the protagonist Raz(putin) you are a child with psychic abilities who ran away from home to join a secret summer camp where the gouvernment is training psychic special agents: "Psychonauts". On your way threw the game you will enter minds of people, explore giant and crazy worlds, collect tons of powerups, gain supernatural abilities and be entertained by outstanding humour, dialogues and storytelling.
The PC version is in its standart settings a little weird but plays perfectly with a plug-and-play controller (I used a PS styled one).

So if this game was that awesome why haven't you probably even heard of it since now?
Well, sadly this game got almost ignored when it first came out because of other games that were long awaited and had better marketing. My outrage about this fact results in this topic.

Here some videos:
Trailer
Gamespot Review
The Escapist's Opinion

Chaos said:
No I shouldn't.
Same, All the charecter Designs made Puke,Eyes hurt,And Kill myself. The game was a little Fun, But not that creative. I think the most creative game out is portal.

http://ssntails.sepwich.com/mb/viewtopic.php?t=3752

A similar topic, done a over a year ago.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Is it really that hard to get out of your tiny comfort zone (consisting of nothing but Portal)?!

Honestly, you should take the time to play through this. Great humor, intriguing puzzles, wonderful charm, and it simply plays well. I got a lot more enjoyment out of this than I did with Portal.

Get your heads out of the gutter.

A game's visual design is unimportant to me.
What makes me like this game alot is the dialogue and humor. Especially the Milkman Conspiracy. Classic.
The game was obviously built primarily for console, though... Pain in the neck to play with arrow keys. I should buy a cheapie game pad w/ control stick with from the local computer store at some point...
It took me awhile to gather all the collectables... Even then, I needed to get 1 or 2 Figment locations off of GameFAQs (THE SHAME ;_;)

If anyone wants to try the game, it's available for free (The whole thing, not the demo) on GameTap 'till the end of the year.
But if you want to play fullscreen, you need to download the GameTap shiny application. And if you want to play the M-rated games, you have to register.
And GameTap's also laden with "GO GAMETAP GOLD AND PLAY 1000 GAMES FOREVER OR UNTIL YOU CAN'T PAY THE MONTHLY BILL" advertisements that you MUST sit through for 15 seconds before playing. But at least no ads pop up mid-game. There's also those other good games, like Tomb Raider: Legend and Rogue Trooper.

Lulz portal.
[offtopic]
Portal.gif

[/offtopic]

FoxBlitzz said:
http://ssntails.sepwich.com/mb/viewtopic.php?t=3752

A similar topic, done a over a year ago.
I searched for the term "psychonauts" before I posted this topic... Maybe I typed it wrong! -.-

SRB2-Playah said:
What makes me like this game alot is the dialogue and humor. Especially the Milkman Conspiracy. Classic.
So true! I enjoyed it very much, too. Even thought the german voice actor for Boyd is inferior to the english one.

@ Ice: Simply LOL! ^___^

Psychonauts? That game is AWESOME!
If I had to review it, it'd get a 10. Almost everything about it is great. (Humor, Levels (Milkman Conspiracy FTW), characters) And to those who say it isn't creative, play through it until at least the part with the asylum (Again, Milkman Conspiracy FTW). And I agree with what FoxBlittz said. What's wrong with you people? It's the most creative game I've ever played!

Sik said:
How are you so patient to animate it all? o_o'
You should see my line riders...
I would upload them on youtube, but I don't know any good screen recording systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back