SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2020   #6381
Moose the Fat Cat
 
Moose the Fat Cat's Avatar
Default

I haven't read this *entire* thread, but I did read the last 20 pages and didn't see these suggestions brought up, so here are my thoughts.

More Safety Nets / Replace Most Bottomless Pits with Spike Pits

If at all possible I would like to request that the devs consider adding a spike floor or at least more safety-net platforms to bottomless pit sequences in Arid Canyon, Red Volcano, and Egg Rock.

I can understand the reasoning for why one could disagree with my idea might be that, you want the stakes to be raised in the later levels. You can't allow the player to be "bumper bowling" the entire campaign; if they aim poorly, they deserve to go in the gutter.

It's not that there can be NO bottomless pits, I just think there are too many in the later stages. I think the stages would not be any less satisfying to complete or master if many of the bottomless pits were replaced instead with spike pits that could allow for recovery. The player is still punished for their imprecision, but there is more encouragement to try again and get it right, rather than getting frustrated and giving up.

Also, I think that using bottomless pits less frequently then heightens the drama of the times when they are used... certainly the pulley jumping sequence in Arid Canyon benefits from a bottomless pit.

But with Red Volcano, there's already a lot of hazards to contend with; having the pteradactyl toss the player in lava, and possibly recovering, is still a good punishment, but it's not as frustrating as being caught and then tossed to a bottomless pit.

I know this kind of thing is so much easier said than done, but I bring it up because I feel it doesn't fit with the ethos of the classic Sonic games in the way the rest of the game totally nails the spirit. For example, Sonic 2, really it's only Wing Fortress and the one pit in Mystic Cave. There are a few odd pits here and there otherwise, but it's not central to the platforming challenge in 2D Sonic like it is in Mario.

The reliance of bottomless pits in level design is something that annoyed me in the Dimps Sonic Advance/Rush series, and especially in the Adventure/Modern games. I feel that part of the core Sonic gameplay, in both 2D and especially 3D, needs to involve a certain trade-off to allow for the mixture of speed & platforming to be satisfying and not infuriating. It's a fine line!

Techno Hill exterior wall color

This level is pretty cool looking in the factory, with the silver/purple contrast, and then seeing the red Egg Corp building against the orange/blue city skyline.

But the initial impression of Techno Hill is off-putting, aesthetically, and I think really it's just the orange/burgundy/brick color in the exterior sections with the gray grass.

Changing that color to something that pleases the eye more, while still communicating the same dystopian effect, would really elevate the level's look.

More pink, maybe? Neon toxic green? Baby blue? Mustard yellow? Maybe just blue/yellow/silver together like Chemical Plant?

A big downward slope slide for Techno Hill Act 2

Speaking of Chemical Plant, I love the high speed first sections of TH1 and certain parts of inside the factory in TH2, but I feel like there's a set-piece room that is missing.

The same kind of slope as in Greenflower Act 2, but... more. Something that evokes the feeling of that slope in Chemical Plant.

It could maybe replace the springs in that room with the conveyer belts where you need to drop deep in the goo to rise up to the other side and take the platform up the goo-waterfall.

Basically it'd be a gigantic slide, somehow you arrive at the top of the slope, then you run or spin down what seems like an impossible height, and then have a ramp at the end to pop up to potentially the max height, and then land down in the goo and under the thing and up the goo-waterfall.

MORE Credits!

I'll go against the grain of the last few posts, be a bit rebellious. The credits are beautiful! Not just the character artwork passing by - though they are wonderful - the sheer amount of people, the mixture of usernames and real names. I actually would not mind more specific credits, like, level by level, song by song.

I guess because it's a non-profit game, I'm sort of automatically more impressed and marveled by the credits - I'd actually encourage the devs to take more bows! I'm serious. Why not? Share a tweet or write a short message.

Could it have a skip option? Maybe, I don't know. Part of me thinks it shouldn't, haha. Just as long as the game saves prior to the credit roll, so you can escape and force-quit the game, but you get the guilt-trip quit messages like - "Please my lord. We worked on this for no reward other than your pleasure. Won't you learn our names?" What's the longest amount of time a credits scene can go before someone turns the game off? Push it right up to the limit. The player should take the time to not only appreciate the credits, but engage in some self-reflection and soul searching, so the longer the better. I'm just kidding.

BUT — what I really mean by "more credits" is a credits/ending sequence.

In Sonic 1, it's a faked highlight reel of your adventure through the zones and then a party in Green Hill. In Sonic 2, it's the comic panels and Tails plane catch. S3K is the plane or Angel Island, but basically a blue sky and cumulus clouds. For SRB2, I think it'd be a mix of still images / light animation like the intro, mixed with "highlight reel" footage, and then some recorded gameplay footage while the name credits roll by on another part of the screen.

So what is the ending sequence of SRB2? If it's not already mapped out, I think it works as a combination of the endings - S3K, S2, S1 - in reverse.

The player needs to escape the space station, presumably on the same rocket they arrived on, or an escape pod.

As the pod rockets down from space through the blue skies, we'd see flashbacks of the player's "highlight reel" footage through the adventure.

At the end, we see the player return to Greenflower, now peaceful and flowing with animal friends, to join a party with the other characters who you've cleared. So if your first clear is Sonic & Tails, they do celebration animations by themselves with the animal friends bopping around. But then clear as Knuckles, Sonic and Tails are already there too. And so on when you complete as Amy, etc.

Whoever is last to arrive - Fang (talks with Knuckles), Amy (Sonic), or Metal (Tails)- once all characters clear, the final ending comes post-credits: Eggman attempts to join the party in his eggmobile. The characters all wack him together at once, sending him flying off into the distance... and destroying his face off of the Mountain.

Take care of yourself

My last suggestion is just that I hope you are doing well and thanks for reading this post that I'm typing and now posting!

Last edited by Moose the Fat Cat; 03-14-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Moose the Fat Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020   #6382
Darkboy64
 
Darkboy64's Avatar
Default

I think this game would benefit from being able to skip the credits in modded games that have their own saves. I've seen the credits already in the vanilla game. Why do I need to go through em again after finishing a level pack? It's just annoying.
Darkboy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020   #6383
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist
Default

Credits can be removed but it's up to the author of the mod to decide whether to remove them entirely or replace them with their own, this is more of a problem on the mod author's end.
__________________
Also known as "RTB" on Discord
Quote:
I don't need sex because Azure Temple fucks me everyday
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020   #6384
Zanda_Sama
Default

Another NiGHTS Suggestion

Multiplier Changes

Option A.

Make the Multiplier x3 when getting a link of 100, and make the Multiplier x4 on the very rare occasion that someone gets a link of 1000. You can change the NiGHTS scores to be higher, since this change would make a skilled player get a higher score. With this change, there is more incentive to focus on not losing your chain, currently losing your link is not really a big deal, and thus the Link Freeze powerup is one of the worst, it doesn't really help you get a bigger score.

Option B.

Every loop around the stage changes the score multiplier. So on the second loop around the stage your score multiplier will be x2, and on the third loop it will be x3, and on the fourth x4.

Option C.

Have both of them, so you can get super high scores. A lot of other games have like multipliers up to x8, so for someone getting that high of a score multiplier it can be super fun to them. Of course, the score required for ranks can be buffed due to this allowing for much higher scores to be obtainable. That and the score for lives, since you could probably get 20 lives and a continue very easily if you're very good at NiGHTS.

I believe the previous suggestion about NiGHTS would also be a great help, due to the difficulty curve of these stages being quite... sharp. The first 3 are easy as heck, and then the 4th is a little harder, then 5 - 7 are very hard. Because the first 3 don't have a time limit, even being a beginner i don't think it's possible to fail the first three.
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020   #6385
time gear
 
time gear's Avatar
Default

Something that might help newer players find Emerald Tokens would be if they have a fairly quiet but still just barely audible high pitched humming sound (Similar to goal rings in Modern Sonic games) that grows subtly louder as you grow closer, and then goes away when you collect them.

The first time a new player is somewhat close to one, they will hear this sound and be naturally curious as to what this thing that is making the sound is. This will tempt them to pick it up if they can figure out how to get to it (Most likely the one near the start of GFZ1 up in the air that most characters need to use the diagonal spring to get to). Once they do, they will eventually clear the act and be brought into the special stage.

Also I know if you press tab you can see your collected tokens, but a more obvious indicator of how many of these you have in your possession above your lives counter would also be helpful, and would help to convey to a new player that the thing they just picked up is still in their possession and didn't just vanish when they touched it. This would also help convey to new players based on the shape of the icon that this is the thing that brings them to special stages, and that they didn't just enter into one randomly or because of ring count or something.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020   #6386
Moose the Fat Cat
 
Moose the Fat Cat's Avatar
Default

I think adding sound cues for emblem tokens is a great idea. In general I think there should just be

More Collectibles

The emblems and emerald tokens are cool, but there are so many nooks & crannies that are off the beaten path that are largely empty. I think adding an additional reward, besides a 1up box, would go a long way to rewarding exploration.

The SRB2 equivalent of korok seeds, or the power moons in Mario Odyssey. A lot of them just scattered about. They don't need to add up to anything, necessarily. They just need to be a thing you collect and it makes a sound when you grab it. That's the reward really.

Adding a "kill count" for enemies in the Extras section. "Collect" all of the animals by bopping all badniks in every stage, you get a Freedom Fighter badge.
Moose the Fat Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020   #6387
Zanda_Sama
Default

Add TIMEBONUS and SCOREBONUS and PERFECTBONUS options for SOC

HUDITEM SCOREBONUSNUM, HUDITEM TIMEBONUSNUM, and PERFECTBONUSNUM etc. would be a very nice edition. I *really* need this edition. Basically these would allow you to change where the numbers show up, so if you're making an HUD modification, you could make the numbers more to the left to be inside your HUD.
I also want TIMEBONUS, SCOREBONUS, and PERFECTBONUS options for SOC, to make the position of those modifiable just like RINGS and RINGSNUM.

Example:
HUDITEM SCOREBONUSNUM
X = [much lower than original value]
Y = Same

Would make the SCOREBONUS numbers slightly closer to the actual SCOREBONUS.
It would go from THIS

SCORE BONUS : _______________56100

to THIS

SCORE BONUS : _____56100

Last edited by Zanda_Sama; 03-18-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020   #6388
Moose the Fat Cat
 
Moose the Fat Cat's Avatar
Default

Emerald Tokens and Super Sonic

Once you have all 7 Emeralds, I think finding an emerald token should be an automatic 50 rings, rather than a continue, at least for Sonic. That's how the special stage rings worked in S3K, which remains the game that's most fun to replay with all emeralds.

I think it'd be cool if every character had a super form. I've read Mystic's post explaining why it's limited to Sonic, because Super Sonic is essentially a separate character, and if all Super forms work the same, there's no point in taking away the unique abilities already offered by Tails/Knuckles/Fang/Amy. In other words, once you've collected the emeralds as Sonic, there's no point in doing it again unless you want to (as I discovered after gaining them all as Knuckles).

So my suggestion is that each Super form also be given the power of one of the shields as a permanent secondary (jump+spin) ability, with only Super Sonic gaining hover.

Super Sonic = Elemental shield. (Jump+spin remains hover). It's just about the passive additives here; when he spindashes, there's a fire trail, so that's automatically cool and appropriate. Most importantly, the character most susceptible to drowning is able to breath underwater/in space. This is a departure from Super Sonic in the original titles, but then so is hovering. I think Super Sonic should feel as close to god/debug mode as possible. As it is now, I don't really play as Super Sonic more than maybe a few times in levels outside of Greenhill.

Super Tails = Wind shield (jump+spin is the boost jump like the shield)

Super Knuckles = Magnet shield (jump+spin is homing attack like the shield)

Super Amy = Elemental shield (jump+spin is a downward blast like the shield)

Super Fang = Double-shield (jump+spin stops momentum mid-jump like the shield)

Super Metal = Nuclear shield (jump+spin blasts the screen like the shield)


What about shield boxes?

Bopping a shield box means that, once you run out of rings and are depowered, you will have that shield in your regular form.

If the shield's passive abilities are additive to your super form, you gain that power. So for example, Super Knuckles bounces on an elemental shield, he'll now also be able to breath underwater and flames will trail his dash, as rings also fly to him and he's able to target enemies.

Isn't that too overpowered? Yes. That's the point! Replaying a complete file with all emeralds should open up the option to zip through in "god/debug" mode. The player has earned it!

And again, it's optional. If you don't want to play as Super, simply don't jump+spin without a shield and don't activate it!

Last edited by Moose the Fat Cat; 03-18-2020 at 01:10 AM.
Moose the Fat Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020   #6389
Krabs
 
Krabs's Avatar
Default

Let players change characters in multiplayer matches when character changing is restricted without having to switch to spectator first. Just automatically kill the player if they do so.

When rings respawn, display the sparkle sprite for half a second before they respawn

Last edited by Krabs; 03-18-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Krabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020   #6390
Zanda_Sama
Default

How about Teams have multiple colors, for example...

Team Blue Colors

-Aqua
-Azure
-Blue
-Bluebell
-Cyan
-Cerulean
-Cobalt
-Cornflower
-Dusk
-Icy
-Sky
-Sapphire
-Teal
-Vapor
-Wave

Team Red Colors

-Crimson
-Flame
-Ketchup
-Red
-Ruby
-Salmon
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020   #6391
Spiky
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose the Fat Cat View Post
Once you have all 7 Emeralds, I think finding an emerald token should be an automatic 50 rings, rather than a continue, at least for Sonic.
I disagree, I like being able to max out continues after getting all Emeralds.
Spiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020   #6392
time gear
 
time gear's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
I disagree, I like being able to max out continues after getting all Emeralds.
Honestly I prefer the classic method of earning continues, doing so both in special stages (Which we do currently anyway) and via score at the end of each act. This would also be a nice compromise for this particular issue.

Though, I can't think of any reason why it has to be one or the other. Why not grant 50 rings and a continue when you pick up a token with all 7 emeralds? This way they are useful regardless of how skilled you are at the game. Even if you don't need continues on account of being an experienced veteran, you still have reason to seek them out.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020   #6393
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

The reason it's not 50 rings, as stated many times, is because a goal in the future is to change normal gameplay such that if record attack requirements are met, you earn record attack emblems and replays are saved. Thus, as time goes on we're trying to make things that disrupt that go away so we can implement that.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020   #6394
time gear
 
time gear's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
The reason it's not 50 rings, as stated many times, is because a goal in the future is to change normal gameplay such that if record attack requirements are met, you earn record attack emblems and replays are saved. Thus, as time goes on we're trying to make things that disrupt that go away so we can implement that.
If you are going after Emerald Tokens to turn super easily, you obviously aren't going after Record Attack Emblems. If you really want to implement such a feature, you could just make it so picking up one of the Tokens while all 7 emeralds are in your possession disqualifies you from getting the Record Attack emblems and creating replay data. The tokens are out of the way enough that they shouldn't get in the way if someone is just trying to collect rings normally for the ring based emblems.

This could even easily be made clear by text appearing on the screen when you attempt it, stating something like "Record Attack content is disabled when you collect an Emerald Token with all 7 Emeralds".

Personally though, I really don't get why the two modes need to overlap. I can understand the temptation of giving emblems if requirements are met just to make the process faster, but by trying to enforce the Record Attack ruleset into normal gameplay you are inevitably going to introduce limitations that hurt the enjoyment factor for people who simply don't care about Record Attack or already have the emblems associated with it and just want to play with the familiar ruleset of the Classic games, or even just previous versions of SRB2. The rings when collecting Emerald Tokens is probably the biggest example.

Honestly if the overlap does need to happen, I would prefer it be dedicated to a toggle rather than something strictly enforced for everyone. Hell, you can even make it enabled by default, and lock disabling it behind a console command or something. Make it so that it's only ever disabled if someone really wants it to be. The fact of the matter is the 50 rings when collecting Emerald Tokens from previous versions of the game is not only familiar, but infinitely more convenient for experienced players than continues they're never going to use, and removing the option entirely just makes it so that said veterans have zero reason to ever go after emerald tokens after they have all the emeralds, and as such makes the game a whole lot less fun.

You want the game to be beginner friendly, and that's fine. Just please for the love of god don't alienate your existing playerbase in the process. Toggles aren't a bad thing.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020   #6395
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by time gear View Post
You want the game to be beginner friendly, and that's fine. Just please for the love of god don't alienate your existing playerbase in the process. Toggles aren't a bad thing.
Hold up a second here. You are equating changing a tiny, minor part of the game with alienating our existing player base. I assure you we just pushed a release, 2.2, which changed absurd amounts of the game and has tons of things that will alienate existing players, like slopes, replaced graphics, and more. That is a terrible argument.

Toggles are for things that are genuinely important to have both ways. Control options are toggles. Camera control features are toggles. The behavior of a single item in a single situation does not warrant a toggle.

I'm sorry that you do not like the idea of being able to just play the game and have record attack replays record and earn emblems for doing so. I know a lot of people would absolutely love for the game to do that, as that is a commonly requested thing, sometimes in this very thread, and not just to make the game "beginner friendly", but for experienced players. I very much would love to be allowed to perfect bonus in any mode and have it count, for example.

It's okay to strongly feel something we're doing is wrong and argue against it, but don't use hyperbole to do so. It's annoying at best and doesn't help your argument at all.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020   #6396
Unknownlight
 
Unknownlight's Avatar
Default

As an experienced user of the game, Record Attack records and replays being saved during normal gameplay sounds absolutely fantastic. I look forward to it.
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020   #6397
time gear
 
time gear's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Hold up a second here. You are equating changing a tiny, minor part of the game with alienating our existing player base. I assure you we just pushed a release, 2.2, which changed absurd amounts of the game and has tons of things that will alienate existing players, like slopes, replaced graphics, and more. That is a terrible argument.

It's okay to strongly feel something we're doing is wrong and argue against it, but don't use hyperbole to do so. It's annoying at best and doesn't help your argument at all.
It's not just this one thing. It's a tendency I have been noticing in general. There's been a general unwillingness to compromise on a number of controversial subjects, many of which have to do with veteran players being opposed to changes that were made specifically to benefit newer players. It gives me the impression as though there's an agenda to bring in newer players, which again is fine. I just don't like how it seems like this agenda takes priority to the point of removing features or rendering them moot for the sake of appealing to the less experienced at the potential expense of those who are more experienced.

For example, in the control toggle options, The "Legacy" toggle doesn't actually quite emulate how the game played back in the legacy days. When this was brought up in the topic discussing it, I remember you saying something along the lines of "If a new player can find a way to enable a toggle that will make their experience worse, they probably will". There's a number of other instances in which this trend has continued.

Things like slopes and revamped graphics aren't really anything that have to do with alienating anyone, and I have no idea why you even brought that up. I can't think of any reason why anyone would feel alienated by the game looking prettier and having slopes.

The general feeling I have been getting lately is that it's almost as if you are afraid of newer players accidentally enabling something intended for more advanced players and then leaving a negative review, or something along those lines. That's why I stress the importance of how toggles aren't a negative thing. If a player somehow manages to find the perfect combination of toggles to sour their experience, I firmly believe that it's their own fault for doing so, and anyone with a working brain viewing such a review will understand this.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020   #6398
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by time gear View Post
The "Legacy" toggle doesn't actually quite emulate how the game played back in the legacy days.
This was stated to be because the name of the option isn't accurate. It's not intended to be exactly as it used to be. It's intended to mean "directionchar off" more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by time gear View Post
When this was brought up in the topic discussing it, I remember you saying something along the lines of "If a new player can find a way to enable a toggle that will make their experience worse, they probably will". There's a number of other instances in which this trend has continued.
This is because, in testing, we have found this to be the case. What you're misunderstanding is that there is a real cost to options. We can't just make everything an option to serve everyone, for a lot of reasons. While this isn't an exhaustive list, here are just a few of the reasons:
  • Options that are not regularly used become buggy over time because they're not being actively maintained.
  • Options that are incredibly niche are a waste of developer time and energy making when they only serve a tiny number of players.
  • Options bloat leads to confusion as to what the options even do.
  • Options that look initially appealing can be hazardous to new players because they will enable them without realizing the downside, frequently not even knowing that their frustration is being caused by the option they enabled earlier.
Making something an option is simply not a solution to most disagreements. I know a lot of people here really like saying it is, but having pages and pages of options isn't going to help anyone and would waste a lot of development time on niche junk that isn't important. This goes way beyond just new player misunderstanding, although that's certainly one factor that can cause an option to be removed or not considered for addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by time gear View Post
Things like slopes and revamped graphics aren't really anything that have to do with alienating anyone, and I have no idea why you even brought that up. I can't think of any reason why anyone would feel alienated by the game looking prettier and having slopes.
People feel alienated by every change we make. Every change. Your argument doesn't hold water because I have heard complaints about literally everything we've done, including things that are overwhelmingly positive. Just because the vast majority of people rightfully think that slopes and revamped graphics are an improvement does not mean that there aren't people who are still super butthurt about SSN Sonic and Tails being removed, for example.

When you're complaining about something so minor alienating players, it just feels stupid when we've made so many incredibly huge changes that are far more likely to be problematic in comparison.

This isn't a fight between new players and experienced players. I firmly believe that many of the changes we've made to help new players in 2.2 have been beneficial to our long-time players and huge amounts of feedback have backed up that belief firmly. Do not reduce the reasons why we have chosen answers you don't like dismissively. The actual reasons why decisions are made are generally complicated and not something that can be answered in a single sentence.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020   #6399
Moose the Fat Cat
 
Moose the Fat Cat's Avatar
Default

That makes sense, re: emblem tokens. Sounds like a cool feature!

The more I've been replaying the game, the more I find Super Sonic to be more of a hindrance in actual gameplay anyway; I like getting the emeralds because I like the special stages now that I'm pretty good at getting them and finding enough tokens by Deep Sea. It's cool to have the extra jump power and speed, but I'm more likely to shoot myself off course and die than recover with the hover. I die a lot more in Arid Canyon when I go Super.

Speaking of toggles, I have this suggestion!

Toggle "Thokk" or "Homing" for Sonic's jump power, and "Spin Dash" or "Boost/Slide"

MotdSpork's Modern Sonic mod has made replaying the campaign so much fun, and it's had the byproduct effect of making me play better as other characters more. When I go back to classic Sonic, I'm able to more confidently make jumps and hit angles more precisely than I was with the character before playing Modern Sonic, because I've been playing it more.

The double jump and homing attack is a dream in navigation and recovery, and it makes the game so much easier to go non-stop and never lose momentum. It's such a great feeling, and those abilities are faster and more fun than Tails or Knuckles... I enjoy those characters and the bonus ones, but there's nothing more fun than Sonic with non-stop momentum.

Spin Dash (plus Drop Dash) or Boost + Stomp/Slide could be a toggle, as well?

Basically the classic spin-dash/thokk Sonic is harder than homing /boost... he's the one with the higher ceiling in terms of speed maybe but a bit of a higher floor too.

Homing/Boost is easy mode. You can actually pick it up and seem pretty good just by running and jumping almost mindlessly because the homing guides you along the path, and the double jump helps with recovery and mid-air jumping adjustment.

With "Thokk/Spin Dash" I think it would be cool to also add in the Mania Dropdash.

Basically I'm saying that the game would benefit from having Classic or Modern Sonic as an option from the beginning. But I don't know if it benefits from the distinction of two separate characters, or only as a mod, rather than one Sonic with a different ability loadout - easy or hard - thokk or homing.

\_(ツ)_/
Moose the Fat Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020   #6400
time gear
 
time gear's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
This is because, in testing, we have found this to be the case. What you're misunderstanding is that there is a real cost to options. We can't just make everything an option to serve everyone, for a lot of reasons. While this isn't an exhaustive list, here are just a few of the reasons:
  • Options that are not regularly used become buggy over time because they're not being actively maintained.
  • Options that are incredibly niche are a waste of developer time and energy making when they only serve a tiny number of players.
  • Options bloat leads to confusion as to what the options even do.
  • Options that look initially appealing can be hazardous to new players because they will enable them without realizing the downside, frequently not even knowing that their frustration is being caused by the option they enabled earlier.
Making something an option is simply not a solution to most disagreements. I know a lot of people here really like saying it is, but having pages and pages of options isn't going to help anyone and would waste a lot of development time on niche junk that isn't important. This goes way beyond just new player misunderstanding, although that's certainly one factor that can cause an option to be removed or not considered for addition.
I get that everything can't be put behind a toggle. You are entirely right in pointing out that this would be ridiculous. Clutter should definitely be something that is avoided. However, I've been getting the impression a lot lately as though you are trying to avoid options entirely when they are suggested, which is where I start to feel iffy.

Where I disagree with you however is in regards to new players misunderstanding options and as such enabling things that make their experience worse. As long as the development team for a game goes out of their way to make sure that options are as clearly understandable as possible, players potentially misunderstanding them shouldn't be a factor in removing or refusing to add them. It reaches the point at which it becomes the player's own fault for enabling options that simply aren't their thing, and their own responsibility to properly look through the options to see where they screwed up and disable anything that's souring their experience. That's not something that a dev team should be afraid of happening so long as they have done their job of making the options easy to understand.

If what you are finding is that players have a tendency to enable things they really probably shouldn't early on, then make it even more clear that these options are intended for experienced players. For example, when attempting to enable such an option you could have a notification pop up saying something like "This option is intended for experienced players. Are you sure you want to enable it?" With a yes or no toggle, or something like that.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some suggestions..... Konata123 SRB2 Discussion 3 03-30-2011 03:01 AM
I want some suggestions/reviews, please. Shadow Hog Outdated Releases (0.X & 1.X) 22 10-31-2006 01:45 AM
Question about a few 1.1 suggestions SSNTails Help 11 01-07-2006 04:27 AM
My suggestions RenegadeC Help 41 10-18-2005 09:51 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.