How do I change the sprites used for an action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'll Begin

🐑✨
Allow me to explain, I'm considering making a soc that changes the sprites used for Flying for a simple character wad I might make. I'm talking about how like amyrose.wad has a SOC lump that makes her fall in her spinning sprites. I want to learn how to do that.

The Wiki seems to be down at the moment, so I can't check it. Although when I can I will.

You would need to make Freestate slots if you wanted to add extra sprite frames. In your case, You would have to have the 22 - S_PLAY_ABL2 have a nextstate of 1352, the first freestate slot, then that would move on to the second freestate slot, and then make that loop back to the First Flight frame (21 - S_PLAY_ABL1)

The thing that the Amyrose.wad used was making the fall states have a nextstate of the spinning states.
So for your case, If you wanted the flight frames to go into the spinning frames, you would need to make the nextstate of the first flight slot (21 - S_PLAY_ABL1) to have a number of 13 (13 - S_PLAY_ATK1).

Once again Flame overcomplicates things.

There are a number of ways to acheive the effect you want. You could:
A) Change the next state of the state you're editing to point to a different state, the one with the sprite you want to use.
B) Change the spritesubnumber of the state you're editing to have the value referring to the sprites you want.

What? Two's a number >_>

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
You would need to make Freestate slots if you wanted to add extra sprite frames. In your case, You would have to have the 22 - S_PLAY_ABL2 have a nextstate of 1352, the first freestate slot, then that would move on to the second freestate slot, and then make that loop back to the First Flight frame (21 - S_PLAY_ABL1)

The thing that the Amyrose.wad used was making the fall states have a nextstate of the spinning states.
So for your case, If you wanted the flight frames to go into the spinning frames, you would need to make the nextstate of the first flight slot (21 - S_PLAY_ABL1) to have a number of 13 (13 - S_PLAY_ATK1).

Owwww,my brain hurts.Why do you make it sound so complecated?

Flame_the_hedgehog said:

Cannot compu- eeerrrr *malfunctions due to the complication of what Flame just said.*

In this case though, Flame. I want to make a soc that will change the special sprites used for Flying from 2 for the actual flying and 4 for when you're falling afterwards, to the other way around. 4 for flying and 2 for falling. Is that possible?

There are already 2 sprites for falling needed
and to have 4 flying frames you have to make new states.

Looks like I'm going to have to learn how to make SOCs then. Thanks.

And I meant by "falling" how Tails spins his tails slower when he gets tired. I just couldn't think of what to call that.

So basically I'm thinking U, V, W and X (Sp. Ability frames 1-4) for flying, and Y and Z (Sp. Ability frames 5 and 6) for... "exaughstion"?

Pouble Dost... I mean Double Post. D:

Well I tried making the Soc, but instead of making Tails fly with 4 flying frames, it just makes him stop flying after a few tics. What's causing this?

Code:
FRAME 23
SPRITENUMBER = 1
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 21
DURATION = 2
NEXT = 24
ACTION None
VAR1 = 0
VAR2 = 0

FRAME 25
SPRITENUMBER = 1
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 23
DURATION = 6
NEXT = 22
ACTION None
VAR1 = 0
VAR2 = 0

I've tried using freestates with the extra frames too, same deal.

If I were you, I would edit (yes, edit) three or so states:
One to tell the last not-tired to go on to the last tired state,
Another to tell the second tired state to go back to the first tired state,
And the last tired state should point back to the first non-tired.

Did that make any sense?

Not really. Could you explain what you're saying?

EDIT: Wait, yes I do. You're saying I should use frames 1, 2, 5 and 6 for flying and 3 and 4 for falling, right?

EDIT2: I tried that, it's still broken.
Code:
FRAME 23
SPRITENUMBER = 1
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 21
DURATION = 2
NEXT = 26
ACTION None
VAR1 = 0
VAR2 = 0

FRAME 25
SPRITENUMBER = 1
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 23
DURATION = 6
NEXT = 24
ACTION None
VAR1 = 0
VAR2 = 0

FRAME 27
SPRITENUMBER = 1
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 25
DURATION = 6
NEXT = 22
ACTION None
VAR1 = 0
VAR2 = 0

Code:
if (!(player->mo->state == &states[S_PLAY_ABL1] || player->mo->state == &states[S_PLAY_ABL2]))
player->powers[pw_tailsfly] = 0;

The game takes steps to prevent the player from flying while not in one of the two ability states. Sorry, your idea is impossible unless you feel like making an exe mod.

Ok, the six flying states, I have no Idea what the proper word for anything is, so bear with me here:

Non-tired 1: Fine as-is
Non-tired 2: Again, fine
Non-tired 3: Next state = Tired 3
Tired 1: 'Nother fine.
Tired 2: Next state = Tired 1
Tired 3: Next state = Non-tired 1

I'm suggesting editing the above three states. Though the last frame would be your fourth flying frame, I think it would work, although I'm not sure after what Draykon said....

Draykon said:
Code:
if (!(player->mo->state == &states[S_PLAY_ABL1] || player->mo->state == &states[S_PLAY_ABL2]))
player->powers[pw_tailsfly] = 0;

The game takes steps to prevent the player from flying while not in one of the two ability states. Sorry, your idea is impossible unless you feel like making an exe mod.
That's just silly. :(

Yeah, Amy Rose's spinfall was made by using the falling frames. First you set nojumpspin to 1(1 = YES), then you change the first falling sprite and make it go to the spinning sprites. Of course, since you have the second falling sprite left, you might be able to do fun things with that too.

The flying sprites can't possibly be changed in order, though. The game thinks the character isn't in the flying state anymore, and thus, you fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back