• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Dark Dimension (scr_Darkdimension_b3.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krabs

he/him
Sonic Team Junior
This is going to be a 7 zone mod, but the current beta has only 5.
DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?zwvjj1jmzze

The mod currently has:

- Rocky falls zone 1, 2, and 3
- Royal palace zone 2, and 3 (Soon to be re textured in beta 4)
- NEW ZONE: Moonlit Mountain zone 1
- NEW ZONE: Volcanic pools zone act 1 (With a new enemy, Hothead.) (Unfinished and short, but with an exit)
- Twisted Temple zone act 1, with many reported glitches fixed. (And a new enemy, the springing bomb)
- Special stages: 1st and 5th, the 7th one will be temporarily removed due to it not being given the new special stage treatment.

Screenies: (Some are outdated)
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/darkbob1713/Dark%20Dimension%20beta%203%20pics/
Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
One very prominent problem in this levelpack is how small everything is. Things are made at far too small a scale; I can never run properly, and I'm constantly having to stop and slowly walk around obstacles.
There's no real gimmicks outside of button hunts.
There's 2D areas, which I very much dislike, not only because of the terrible camera, but because of the terrible physics engine. Your 2D areas (mostly in the castle) aren't fun, and the one in the castle level in particular is extremely frustrating because of the large amount of conveyors, the physics engine, and the large death pit below.
Detail is decent; some areas look nice, but some levels (mostly the castle) look very ugly and bland.
The Special Stages aren't very good, because of the small size. The one with the torches looks very pretty, which is a good thing.

Overall, the levels in this mod are bland, and their small size makes moving around a pain.
I'd give this a 5/10; it isn't anything special, and it has some flaws which drag it down a bit.

Last edited:
Most of what Kyasarin said reflects my opinion of this mod, but there are some contrasts and such.

First off, I really liked the 2D conveyor belt section. Despite 2D mode's camera making it a bit frustrating, I thought it was a very neat gimmick, and it was quite enjoyable.

Some of the custom music doesn't seem to fit in very well, but Twisted Temple using Wacky Workbench was fine, in my opinion.

If you can just fix some of the aesthetics replace the button hunt in the first level with another gimmick, and add/fix the design of some of the levels, this'll be a pretty decent mod.

For now, I give it a 5/10.

One very prominent problem in this levelpack is how small everything is. Things are made at far too small a scale; I can never run properly, and I'm constantly having to stop and slowly walk around obstacles.
There's no real gimmicks outside of button hunts.
There's 2D areas, which I very much dislike, not only because of the terrible camera, but because of the terrible physics engine. Your 2D areas (mostly in the castle) aren't fun, and the one in the castle level in particular is extremely frustrating because of the large amount of conveyors, the physics engine, and the large death pit below.
Detail is decent; some areas look nice, but some levels (mostly the castle) look very ugly and bland.
The Special Stages aren't very good, because of the small size. The one with the torches looks very pretty, which is a good thing.

Overall, the levels in this mod are bland, and their small size makes moving around a pain.
I'd give this a 5/10; it isn't anything special, and it has some flaws which drag it down a bit.

Thank you for your criticism, i'll be fixing the things you pointed out, but could you make some suggestions on how to make "the castle" (It has a name you know -_-) Look un-ugly?

EDIT: Also, I can understand why the button hunts are a bad idea, but just so you know, the first level was a remake of one I made last year, so it has flaws in design.

EDIT 2:
Chisuun said:
2D mode's camera making it a bit frustrating

Ill see what I can do, possibly a script that changes the camera angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main thing is the textures. Special Stage textures don't make sense in a castle level; especially the checkered ones.

The main thing is the textures. Special Stage textures don't make sense in a castle level; especially the checkered ones.
So do you think the textures in the boss act suit it better? Because otherwise, it needs custom textures BADLY, which I cant seem to get to work.

That isn't enough criticism.
What about the levels are great?
Anyways, those stairs in the palace Zone are hard to get onto. Make them ramp sectors.

Also, what's with that alternate path in the palace level? After climbing up the stairs after the first starpost, when you go right, there's a hole in the floor. But when you jump into it, it's just a death pit that doesn't kill and thus traps you.

The upside-down section also seems broken. After you get teleported, you end up in a room without exit.

Kyasarin and SpitrtCrusher, could you be more specific by "the upside down section" and "those stairs", that way I can ACTUALLY fix them. >_>

The unfinished path in RPZ will be completley locked with no way to open it next beta until that path is completley finished.

After jumping into the mirror (is that what the sky-blue wall is?) there's a room with several branching paths.

First of all, Those sectors are already ramp sectors.

And second of all, yes, it's a fake mirror.

Well, use Springs, or make the staircase longer, wider, and the the difference between floors not so high.

I just platested the map and ran up and down the stairs a bunch of times no problem. If others have your problem, then i'll do something about it.

Also, rfz1 is currently being enlarged and lengthened, with the removal of buttons and doors.

Kyasarin and SpitrtCrusher, could you be more specific by "the upside down section" and "those stairs", that way I can ACTUALLY fix them. >_>
There is only one upside-down section. I meant the one where you get gravity boots and backtrack to find a teleport. After that you get stuck with no way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back