• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

New Sonic 3 Robo Blast project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh*

I was just going to stay away from this, but this is what got me.

The screenshots look bad. Like, really bad. Like "even if this was a good level I don't want to play because it looks so bad" kind of bad. The textures look as if they were poorly cut out from S3&K screenshots and then pasted onto the level. The only part of the level we can see is a bland hallway.

"You didn't play it, so it might be good!" is a shit reason to defend (ha ha, "defend") someone from one hundred percent fair and legitimate criticism.

Do you are interested in this project? Your first comment wasn't a constructive criticism. Almost everyone here think this project will be a shit, but you even didn't see everything.

Last edited:
Well, as Mystic says, it'll be a good idea to focus on Angel Island Zone 1 to make it look a lot better because it looks like a linear levels. You should try to add some alternatives paths and secrets, I'm sure this will help a lot.
Also, will Knux have its secret paths? =P
EDIT: Also, it's dark, raise brightness to 224 or higher.

Well, as Mystic says, it'll be a good idea to focus on Angel Island Zone 1 to make it look a lot better because it looks like a linear levels. You should try to add some alternatives paths and secrets, I'm sure this will help a lot.
Also, will Knux have its secret paths? =P
EDIT: Also, it's dark, raise brightness to 224 or higher.

Thank you very much! I will do that as possible and I will do what you told me.

Do you are interested for this project? Your first comment was a not constructive criticism. Almost all of this post believe that this project will be a shit, but yourself haven't everything saw.
The post you are complaining about IS constructive. Your mod looks completely awful, both in visuals and in gameplay. We can see that just from screenshots and don't need to play the sections shown off to know this.

In order to fix this, you should probably stop trying to use ugly custom textures and look at the official stages for inspiration in how layouts should be done. For help figuring out how to make good layouts, I suggest reading Level Design 101, which goes over a lot of dos and don'ts in SRB2 level design for beginners.

OFFTOPIC: This stuff looks like an inspiration of My and a friend's wad we're working on.

ONTOPIC: So anyway, The level looks like it was made from a noob himself. the level looks ugly no offence, it also looks REALLY bland. It looks like a long, straight-forward, bland, dark, 2D version of GFZ but with ugly textures, no offence, but I (somewhat) approve this and wish you good luck.

*sigh*

I was just going to stay away from this, but this is what got me.

The screenshots look bad. Like, really bad. Like "even if this was a good level I don't want to play because it looks so bad" kind of bad. The textures look as if they were poorly cut out from S3&K screenshots and then pasted onto the level. The only part of the level we can see is a bland hallway.

"You didn't play it, so it might be good!" is a shit reason to defend (ha ha, "defend") someone from one hundred percent fair and legitimate criticism.

You may be right but clearly you don't take something into account, this is a work in progress, right? So, it might be better in the future and also about the textures, he said before in an early quote: "I know right, I see. I will improve the textures and to be honest I'm learning a lot." You shouldn't try to take him down, he just presented his project recently.

I think you should work on small projects first and then work your way up to bigger projects like this one.

This is a problem with general map projects from beginners. They think no one will care if they release one act with a rather basic structure, and so they decide to announce on Editing that they're making a big level pack project, but the early screenshots usually attract the attention of people who know what makes a good level and what doesn't. Thing is, the criticism often never gets through due to the "it's not finished yet" argument. Early stages before you're ready to present a demo are the perfect time for criticism because it ensures that you'll at least be told you're doing something wrong before the point in which you get to attached/demotivated to fix anything.

As much as you may not want to, it's better just to polish one level at a time until people like it. You'll have a better reception overall if you slowly make levels better rather than rushing out something just to show off in the forums.

This is a problem with general map projects from beginners. They think no one will care if they release one act with a rather basic structure, and so they decide to announce on Editing that they're making a big level pack project, but the early screenshots usually attract the attention of people who know what makes a good level and what doesn't. Thing is, the criticism often never gets through due to the "it's not finished yet" argument. Early stages before you're ready to present a demo are the perfect time for criticism because it ensures that you'll at least be told you're doing something wrong before the point in which you get to attached/demotivated to fix anything.

As much as you may not want to, it's better just to polish one level at a time until people like it. You'll have a better reception overall if you slowly make levels better rather than rushing out something just to show off in the forums.

I just realized you're right actually and your tips will be really helpful. Thank you for taking your time to comment.

remember one of the best ways of making a map pack or level work is gimmicks, if you're recreating sonic 3 & knuckles make sure it feels like it not just adding a fresh coat of paint, though I have absolutely no idea how to do that, since there are a bunch of slopes I'd just ad a invisible path that make your charter spin into a ball and moves him automatically, though I have no idea how to do most of these tricks and I don't have any patience so I feel like a backseat driver, if I was doing something as big as this I'd find a partner that's be willing to help, those IRC srb2 chatrooms look like a good place to recruit people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back