The definition of a Nerd

Status
Not open for further replies.

super

newbe comic artist
This has been bugging me for a while now, what do you class as a nerd? Someone with big glasses? Someone who plays Rpg's with most of the games Ost on there MP3? Someone who spends all of there time indoors alone while going on WoW?
And do you think it is fair to label someone as a Nerd before you even know them?
Discuss.

Technically, did you know that the literal definition of a "nerd" is someone with high intelligence? It just took on a negative meaning over time.

In Paxton, there is no such thing as nerds. You're either smart or stupid. But the insult "fag" is used a lot (what can I say, hick town)

nerdsvariety.jpg

A nerd is someone who is very knowledgeable in a certain subject. A geek, on the other hand, knows way too much about that subject and needs to go outside.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Nerd
1. (slang, derogatory) A person who, although having good technical or scientific skills, is introspective and generally introverted.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Geek
1. # (colloquial) An expert in a technical field, particularly to do with computers.

My laptop’s locked up again. I need a geek.
Do you need a hardware geek or a software geek?

2. # (colloquial) A person intensely interested in a particular field or hobby, generally at the expense of broader social interaction. Often used with an attributive noun.

I was a complete computer geek in high school, but I get out a lot more now.
Most famous actors are really theater geeks at heart.
I'll just leave this here...

Nerd: Someone with excess knowledge on a given subject. Generally known to have bad hair, glasses, and laBORatories.
See Also - Scientific Theory of Relativity, Wonka brand candies, Encyclopedias

Geek: Someone with excess knowledge on an obscure subject. Chances are, nine out of ten phrases that come out of their mouth are obscure references.
See Also - Star Wars Canon, Basement Dwellers, Extra Terrestrials

Dork: Someone who is unable to present themselves appropriately in public. Nobody really knows what they look like, because no one ever took the time to pay attention to them.
See Also - Loser, Wimp, Disney Channel Original Movies

Redneck: Someone who has perfected the backwoods style to the point that they no longer fit in with the rest of us. They are usually willing to go hunting in a moment's notice.
See Also - Whitetail Deer, Miners, log cabins

Hillbilly: Unlike a Redneck, a hillbilly is completely ignorant of anything but the bare basics. When visiting the city, often the first thing they'll comment on besides the span-dangle eelectric lights and fancy-shmancy automobiles are indoor outhouses.
See Also - Town Mouse/Country Mouse, Generic 60's Sitcom, Generic Black-and-White Comedy

City Slicker: The counterpart to hillbilly, instead of complete ignorance toward anything but the bare basics, they usually are completely ignorant to anything that is not subject to tax. They usually have an allergic reaction to fresh air and its many forms.
See Also - Town Mouse/Country Mouse, Playboy, Tycoon

The list goes on and on, but there aren't enough witty references left to keep it worth reading.

JEV3 said:
Geek: Someone with excess knowledge on an obscure subject. Chances are, nine out of ten phrases that come out of their mouth are obscure references.
See Also - Star Wars Canon

I actually used to hang around some Star Wars geeks at school occasionally. I eventually concluded that they were lamer than me, regardless of how much they got outside.

My definition of the word Nerd are people who don't get out enough and people who watch tv too much and and are smart.

Earuto said:
My definition of the word Nerd are people who don't get out enough and people who watch tv too much and and are smart.

Well maybe I want to stay inside and sit. D:

Though I am called a nerd a lot....probably because I hang out with one.
I'm not even that smart either...and they don't know I stay inside a lot...

Hum..

Blue Warrior said:
A nerd is someone who is very knowledgeable in a certain subject. A geek, on the other hand, knows way too much about that subject and needs to go outside.
I agree with this. Cause most geeks stay inside playing their games. Others just watch too many movies!

Angelus_the_echidna said:
LOL But that is probably true. Who else would want to sit around writing poems about mutant creatures?
Hey! The man was a genius! People need to be more like Dr. Seuss and be imaginative.

I'm not sure if I fall into the nerd category, but I do know a lot about Sonic. Ever since I played the games since I was 5.... I haven't left Sonic alone since then....

Steve Urkel may be a nerd, but he's an amazing baller (person who plays basketball, for you people who don't know). I think a nerd's just somebody who knows a lot about a subject, but can still be very social. A geek, though, is probably just somebody who knows TOO much about a subject nobody gives a crap about, like some anime or something. I guess an example of a geek would be "Geek: Hey, Edward Elrich can use alchemy and stab you if he wanted to!
Normal person: ... Um, ok? *walks away slowly thinking 'the hell?'"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back