• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

srb2 CD gfx

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerman14

Returned for 2.2!
so, I'm working on a graphics mod for srb2 to give it some of the sonic CD graphics. First step is the title screen. I need some help deciding which banner to use though. please ignore the red lines, I'm using them for editing.
2j5hOpEwk7QDFovFYrFYLBaL5WU55riysKmYsHYAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
P0yVq.png
FnkgG.png
F8zx2.png

10 minutes later, and I'm making and EDIT:
here's a few more designs:
OPvr8.png
m4TtU.png
ES1TL.png

oh, I'll include the sky image here too.

qhhIK.png

Last edited:
that one seems to be really popular. someone on the fgx insider likes it too..
therefore, it is settled. This wad is now called "Sonic robo blast CD."

ok, now i need help. I'm trying to make an object a sprite (the emeralds)
but, it keeps turning back into and image file every time i close XWE.
What do I do to make sure it's a sprite? I've tryed changing the image format.. PNGs and JPEGs didn't work.

ok, now i need help. I'm trying to make an object a sprite (the emeralds)
but, it keeps turning back into and image file every time i close XWE.
What do I do to make sure it's a sprite? I've tryed changing the image format.. PNGs and JPEGs didn't work.

Make 2 lumps called 'SS_START' and 'SS_END' then copy the image in between the 2. Convert the image into Doom Format. Save the wad, and you SHOULD be done!

The title screen sounds interesting (oh and you even made sprites for Sonic's waving finger, how great). I just noticed two or three brown pixels on the left of the TTWING lump, you should remove them.

I'll wait beside that, to see what have you planned to edit. I wonder if the time panels will appear.

@Pyro
...em.. ok make to lumps... then copy it how? plait the image in half? I don't get it. Simple English please.
Edit: Never mind. dug around in srb2.srb and figured it out. Thanks for the advice.
@IE
well, i mas thinking about editing score, text, ect. But everthing in srb2 already has a sonic 1 theme. So, i'm going to edit the lamposts, maybe the enemies, and tie it off with a Sonic CD soundtrack.
I want to make a time travel feature, but I can't program.
it be pretty cool to. hit those time panels, run for a bit, and you've warped to a different period! I think each time zone would have to be it's own level.
If anyone has any other ideas, those would be appreciated too.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that music replacement is accepted to be released... I think there was a rule topic somewhere in the MB which says that music packs are not published. Your wad involves also GFX and sprite replacement, so we can't call it a music pack, but I'm not sure it will be accepted with new musics.

For the time travel panels, that was the first idea which came to my mind when I wrote my other post, I wasn't thinking to use them to modifiy gameplay by switching of epoch, but more to use them like .. starposts, that's still the best decoration it could replace...
Please forget what I said about Sonic CD's gameplay and time travel stuff. You should just apply some Sonic CD graphics and sprites~

Last edited:
Okay. Sad thing is right as I read your post I already completed the star posts :(
i'll be posting the current update soon... Trying to fix the "got emeralds" text.
gonna change it to "got timestones" as that's what you collect in sonic cd.
also thinking about changing some of the flower items to there sonic cd variants.
and does anyone know how to make it so that upon loading the wad it turns on soniccd mode? You know, where when you destroy enemies they make flowers?

Honestly, don't bother with adding a Sonic CD soundtrack at all. Aside from the fact there are two of those around (and that noone really agrees on which of them is better - including within this community), including a soundtrack at all no doubt is also going to mean a huge and unneccesary increase in filesize anyway.

New version's done. Emeralds (and related things) as well as check points done.
here's a link to all the images
GNSKg.png
0l8Zx.png
keaEG.png
F97iR.png

0MXql.png
4k17C.png
9lRvs.png
CyIn1.png

And here's the download. What should I edit next?
http://www.mediafire.com/?wlxmd38d97ci2za

I really want to use the monitors from splash garden.. but that's stealing....
EDIT:
Oh, and I want to change the back drop for the special stage completion screen to the one from sonic cd. I also might change all the SS skys to the CD ones, as well as I've been planing on changing the stage complete text to CD styled.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

and, a problem occurs.
I tried to replace the LTFNT gfx but it breaks srb2 for some reason. text doesn't come up at level start, and creates segment violations at level end.
help?
http://www.mediafire.com/?p2baagjo1s9q73q
note it also contains the new special stage results screen.
which is also broken.

Last edited:
No offense, but the "Sonic can now be Super Sonic" looks sloppy, and the starpost looks too gaudy and pixelated. Maybe try filtering the sprites out with a SAL filter so they don't look like they've been resized in MSPaint. Either that, or smooth them out upon resizing.

Like this:
hq3x.png

I like the idea, though; I've always liked Sonic CD's artstyle.

There isn't a SAL filter in SRB2, I was just using that as an example. If you have an image editor like Paint.NET, you can highlight the sprite and change the median.

And by the way, is the "Got them all" font a tad different from the "Time Stones" font, or am I just overlooking it?

EDIT: I'm getting a sigsev upon adding the wad, are you using colors in SRB2's pallette correctly?

Last edited:
yes, the font is ever so slightly different.
I've perpared the new NOWSONIC image.
zQ1lB.png

better?
another thing, I actually had to shrink the lamp post image, because it was from a screen cap from an emulator, but it was much to big.
EDIT:
no, I'm probably not using srb2's colors.
what's sizesev?

Last edited:
yes, the font is ever so slightly different.
I've perpared the new NOWSONIC image.
zQ1lB.png

better?

That still doesn't look very appealing. Try to keep the font consistent.
HIqO

This is how it should look like, the different font styles just make it look weird. And why are you using emulators to cap images, can't you just look for sprites?

By the way, you NEED everything in the pallette, otherwise it'll sigsev (the segment violation.)

ya, I couldn't find the sprites...
and I see what you mean.
anyways... um
VYuf0.png

ya... I tried. And, yes it's not finished.. but it looked so bad (to me) that I stopped.
I'll have that new NOWSONIC in a bit.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

ItCCp.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back