Internet Explorer 8 - WILL not start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autosaver

I had IE 7, it did not start. So I downloaded IE 8. Still did not. I then used my recovery files to replace the ones I had. Thinking my program folder was broken. To anyone who says use firefox. I am, its that certain websites love IE*coughrobloxcough* and will not work in other browsers.

This is what I am doing... Clicking Internet Explorer, it doesn't open up. 1 minute later it does but its blank. I can type in websites but it will not go to it. It can't close so I have to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to manually close it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Its very annoying.. -_-

Autosaver, pretty much no website is IE-specific anymore, and anything other than IE will give you better speed, better results, and no security issues. IMO Firefox really is the best option for you.

I still think Opera is the best browser, with its "Speed Dial" option upon opening a new tab, a built-in IRC, Email, and Torrent Client as well as the always-a-plus lack of security issues that IE possesses.

The only downfall that I know of is that a lot of special, flashy sites are kinda screwy due to not being made for the browser.

Autosaver, pretty much no website is IE-specific anymore, and anything other than IE will give you better speed, better results, and no security issues. IMO Firefox really is the best option for you.

Firefox is not an option for ActiveX-dependent software, such as Roblox, which he wants to access. Suggestions for alternate browsers is not useful here, and bickering on which browser is "best" for this situation is completely nil. I'd imagine Steam would be affected by this issue as well.

I'd advise running CrapCleaner, to see if it can nuke some malformed junk that prevents IE from launching.

You can also check your IE security settings in your Internet Options control panel applet in there, it may be set to disable a lot of things. You'll want to check out the "Advanced" tab.

Last edited:
Download Firefox, and then this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419. That's IE tab, an add-on which allows you to open IE inside your Firefox.
Just right click on a link/page and choose "open in IE tab". You never have to worry about IE-specific sites anymore! Really. This is not an advertisement.

EDIT: Whhhhoooooops, did not notice that 3rd post there. NVM

Last edited:
I am going to try CC to see if it fixes it. What sucks is that all my restore points are somehow "gone" and now I can't go back to the one I went to before that fixed this problem. -_-

I also try Registry Booster to see if it was a DLL error, It didn't fix anything.
I also found out this isn't ONLY an internet explorer error. You know how Windows comes with a Windows help menu that pops up once in a while? Well, all the images are red X's. O_o
Edit:Tried using the registry cleaner and the normal cleaner to see if it fixed anything. It did not.
I can't find the security options for internet Explorer because its not even there.... O_o
Edit2: Is there a way to uninstall IE8 so I can go back to IE6?

Last edited:
C:\Windows\System32\Inetcpl.cpl is gone?! How big is MSHTML.DLL?

You must have caught some evil malware that's chewing your IE files apart.

Its not gone, since I searched for it and found two of them.....

I looked at MSHTML.DLL and found the size.
3.43 MB (3,599,872 bytes)

The only way of getting to internet explorer for me is using my Windows 7 beta. I wonder if I copy all those IE files to this Vista computer........

Edit:Performing quick scan to see if I have malware. *Malwarebytes
Edit2: Wee, 9 infected thing. I knew ErrorSmart was some sort of malware.
Edit3:Computer cleaned but... no luck. :(

Last edited:
C:\Windows\System32\Inetcpl.cpl is gone?! How big is MSHTML.DLL?

You must have caught some evil malware that's chewing your IE files apart.

Hah, malware thats actually doing something useful? Nice ^_~

If you HAVE to have IE8 (which you really don't), just try reinstalling it, that might kick it back into gear. Otherwise, something else could be going on thats upsetting IE, I'd ask around on other forums since we probably don't know how to fix your problem =P

I didn't make this thread to make it a broswer war thread....
I did try reinstalling it, I might go try out the Vista forums to see if they can help...

Yeah guys, cut the "Use this instead" crap, it's one of the most annoying things when searching for help when you find a load of people saying "do this instead, even though it's not the solution you were asking for and doesn't actually fix your problem!". Also, don't turn this into a browser war thread, just help him with his problem and avoid the x is better than y nonsense.

What happens when you try to run IE in safe mode?

I ran Safe mode and I couldn't get the start menu to work. It was slow and unresponsive. -_-
Edit: A link using Toontowns launcher got Internet Explorer to work! But it doesn't work when I use it using start. So, toontown might be an optional way of getting it... XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back