My Sonic fangame (Sonic Slam)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently creating a Sonic fangame called Sonic Slam! with Klik'n'Play (crap application, I know). It's only a beta, sadly, but it gives you the general idea of the final release.

Progress: 3 acts (2 in current beta)

Screenshot:
shx3sjx9pw2iftf9fip.png

Yeah, yeah, the graphics suck. At least they're better than SRB1's. It took about 5 tries to get Sonic looking right.

Download:
http://www.2shared.com/file/3302442/bbf6936b/Sonic_Slam_Beta_1.html

P.S. Anyone with the full version of Klik'n'Play (available here: http://www.clickteam.com/webftp/files/6/10/KPSchool.exe) is welcome to help out.

Wow, are you going after Sonikku's steps? What, do you expect to later make a sequel as good as SRB2 but that takes up 10 years to make? XD

Bah, just kidding :P But seriously, that looks a lot like SRB1 o_o'

That'll be toast once I release... The Klik & Play Shovelware Collection: Volume 1!

Mwa ha ha, bow before me!

I've been checking the Klik'n'play examples and the only decent one I found was the spaceship one (and the Otello one was quite playable). Through I didn't still check them all, but most of them are horrible DX

Sik said:
Wow, are you going after Sonikku's steps? What, do you expect to later make a sequel as good as SRB2 but that takes up 10 years to make? XD

Bah, just kidding :P But seriously, that looks a lot like SRB1 o_o'

If I make a sequel, it will also be 2D. You say it looks alot like SRB1. I noticed that too. So what do you guys think?

You know, it would be funny if it actually happens the same thing as with SRB, right? XD

And what happened with SRB2...?

But anyways, SRB1 was made back with in beginning of fangames and nobody had any decent tools, so really about anything was accepted. Those were the days where fangames had crappy engines where you jumped and got stuck on walls and ceilings, and if you landed on the floor, you remained in the spinball position until you started running again. And nobody complained about that.

Now, people has started making 3D Sonic fangames. Most of them look too much like the new-school games through >_> Damizean made a 360 3D engine, but trust me, until somebody figures out how to do the sphere->polygon collision (Damizean's engine uses Blitz's built-in collision system), it won't get much widespread. Unless you want to use Blitz, that is.

Hehe, I didn't think that KnP was still used nowadays.
I thought people had totally stopped using it some years ago.
I myself made several sonic fangames (crappy ones, too) when I was little, but unluckily I lost them all.
It's nice to see you doing a sonic fangame, but you really should try to get a better tool (it's not hard).
KnP doesn't even have scrolling and that pretty much limits you to flip-screen.
And it's 16-bit, and can't be run at all on systems that use a 64-bit Windows. Most computers will be 64-bit in the next years so you have to consider this, too.
I don't really know what game making program to recommend as I don't use those at all, but there are several.

Triangle Trumper, you do know that Multimedia Fusion 2 exists, right? It's like Klik & Play except legions better. In all seriousness, nobody should be using Klik & Play anymore unless it's for novelty purposes. If you want to make something serious you should at the very, _very_ least use something like MMF.

..Unless this is some kind of joke (which is very possible, seeing the uncanny resemblance to SRB1).

I think this is some kind of challenge, and he's using KnP in purpose in order to see how far he can reach. Actually it's interesting to see how much you can do in such a limited engine.

Anyways, considering the kind of fangames being done these days, don't expect people to accept it at all, but rather try to kill you D:

You know, at one point I made a Klik & Play scrolling engine using about 14 events. It worked by moving active object tiles in a large playing field. What I like most about it is that I designed it to keep the platform movement's motion consistent no matter whether it's scrolling or not. I didn't use some ugly hack that required 200 lines of events and didn't even move the player properly when the thing was scrolling (Jamie Bailey).

FoxBlitzz said:
Triangle Trumper, you do know that Multimedia Fusion 2 exists, right? It's like Klik & Play except legions better. In all seriousness, nobody should be using Klik & Play anymore unless it's for novelty purposes. If you want to make something serious you should at the very, _very_ least use something like MMF.

..Unless this is some kind of joke (which is very possible, seeing the uncanny resemblance to SRB1).

No, it's not a joke, and Klik'n'Play is the only nearly decent free gamemaker I can find.

What about the free version of Game Maker? It allows you to make EXEs, it's just missing some advanced features (through all basic functionality like scrolling and such is allowed). Also, if you look through the help, you'll find out some stuff normally not accessible. For example, normally you can't stretch sprites in the basic (free) version, but you can access the xscale and yscale variables and they work (and they also work for flipping the sprites too, by using negative values).

I have Game Maker. It was fun to play with, and I even had an early platformer with some sprites (my avatar is loosely based on sprites from the game). But, I tried and tried to make a collision code that didn't get me stuck in the floor/stairs, and never could quite do it.

Then again, the people at the GM forums aren't much help sometimes...

Kilron said:
I have Game Maker. It was fun to play with, and I even had an early platformer with some sprites (my avatar is loosely based on sprites from the game). But, I tried and tried to make a collision code that didn't get me stuck in the floor/stairs, and never could quite do it.
I could do a simple engine that worked perfectly and without using script language. Then again, GM actions are translated internally into script code, so...

I would suggest to try the scripts, really. Programming isn't hard. Dealing with the hardware and doing the object system is. But Game Maker does it for you, so things are a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back