OpenGL renderer overhaul progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only way we're ever going to get reasonable performance on Android

Maybe, maybe not. If you want to truly replicate software, there's still a lot of work that's going to have to occur on the CPU. In a perfect implementation, you would be able to disable the Z-buffer and accurately draw the entire scene -- this means clipping polygons in screen-space and other wonderfully enjoyable tasks. It's going to be the only way to replicate a lot of effects, including proper ordering of translucent walls/floors.

...You what?
Do you mean that you have an OLD graphics card? is it not capable of running OpenGL efficiently?

He might be in the same situation as me, where Windows 8 Rejects some old graphics cards and then they just dont work anymore.

Last edited:
Okay, just to be clear, if you didn't have a graphics processor, you just plain couldn't use your computer. Even if you don't have an add-in graphics card, you have an integrated GPU either on your motherboard, or in the CPU itself in the case of Intel's Sandy Bridge or later processors. That said, for an Intel GPU anything from 2007 or later can be reasonably expected to support OGL 2.0, and you can go much earlier than that if it's an nVidia or AMD GPU that's under the hood.

Okay, just to be clear, if you didn't have a graphics processor, you just plain couldn't use your computer.
Not true. My friends graphics card just died for no apparent reason a few weeks ago. (It's a 2007 laptop, so only one gpu)So most games wouldn't open and opening Freedom Planet would just... i'll let the picture explain.
(yes, that is steam.)
NDJ4MVq.png

By the way, if software is getting removed, will OpenGL get slopes (@furyhunter)?

Last edited:
...You what?
Do you mean that you have an OLD graphics card? is it not capable of running OpenGL efficiently?

Erm. Intel chipset.

He might be in the same situation as me, where Windows 8 Rejects some old graphics cards and then they just dont work anymore.

Nah, I run Windows 7

if you didn't have a graphics processor, you just plain couldn't use your computer

I said graphics card, not graphics processor

an integrated GPU either on your motherboard, or in the CPU itself

That would be great rofl

Iceman404 said:
This sounds like a you problem

...it's not my fault if a graphics card here on Brazil costs too fucking much.

Last edited:
Not true. My friends graphics card just died for no apparent reason a few weeks ago. (It's a 2007 laptop, so only one gpu)So most games wouldn't open and opening Freedom Planet would just... i'll let the picture explain.
(yes, that is steam.)
NDJ4MVq.png

By the way, if software is getting removed, will OpenGL get slopes (@furyhunter)?

The graphics card and processor are two very different things, from what I understand.

...You what?
Some PCs run on an APU (like mine). Maybe that's what Monster meant?

Anyway, I love what FuryHunter is doing here, bc I really do prefer OGL over software but I like the colors in software vs the colors in OGL, especially the water effects. Regardless of where the dev team wants to go with this, I plan to have a good powerful PC within the next few years, so any change to the rendering process doesn't bother me a bit.

Last edited:
The graphics card and processor are two very different things, from what I understand.

Graphics processor is the thing that make possible for the PC to display text on the screen.

Graphics card is a expansion card which saves the CPU the hard work of rendering 3D graphics while doing other stuff.

Last edited:
Graphics processor is the thing that make possible for the PC to display text on the screen.

Graphics card is a expansion card which saves the CPU the hard work of rendering 3D graphics while doing other stuff.
There is no distinction, because they're pretty much the same thing - if you want to get really specific, a literal graphics card will also typically have dedicated RAM on-board for handling what is to be drawn to screen, and quicker access to memory for GPU calculations. Root's screenshot is evidence of a damaged GPU, but since the computer can still output video at all, it clearly still works to some degree.

There is no distinction, because they're pretty much the same thing - if you want to get really specific, a literal graphics card will also typically have dedicated RAM on-board for handling what is to be drawn to screen, and quicker access to memory for GPU calculations. Root's screenshot is evidence of a damaged GPU, but since the computer can still output video at all, it clearly still works to some degree.

Oh. I learned something just now. Thank you very much.

So-- won't we have to change how recording works if we're going to move strictly to openGL? I was under the impression that it only works in software.

Root's screenshot is evidence of a damaged GPU, but since the computer can still output video at all, it clearly still works to some degree.
He said it was some sort of software renderer, and that device manager claimed the device had been stopped. Even 2D Youtube videos stopped being able to run in HD once it broke. I don't know if computers can actually switch to software in a case like that though so correct us if we're wrong.

He said it was some sort of software renderer, and that device manager claimed the device had been stopped. Even 2D Youtube videos stopped being able to run in HD once it broke. I don't know if computers can actually switch to software in a case like that though so correct us if we're wrong.

I'm not responsible for anyone's broken computers. Old, working hardware, that makes sense to try supporting. Literally broken hardware? Absolutely nothing I can do about that. That's your problem, not mine.

And now, for something completely different, after so many days of hate on the palette-limit, let's all (or at least I) take a moment to thank FuryHunter for their work and effort on trying to make the best OpenGL renderer Sonic Robo Blast 2 has ever seen.
I say, you do not get credited enough for your work, as it has largely been overlooked because of the palette-limit, which some people (including me) did not like (to say the least).

If a shader Wad can be used to have true-colour support, your work will be amazing and "great" (in lack of a better word) for everyone.
If not, someone will maintain a true-colour source code-edited version, and your work will still be amazing and "great".
Either way, your work will no matter what be amazing and truly for the better.

People like me are really not thankful enough, considering the work you will go through and the results of it. Thanks for taking your time to optimize OpenGL as well as make it look better, FuryHunter. Thank you.

I'm not responsible for anyone's broken computers. Old, working hardware, that makes sense to try supporting. Literally broken hardware? Absolutely nothing I can do about that. That's your problem, not mine.
>implying I was talking about him not being able to play SRB2
Also, can you answer my question

The unfortunate truth is that in order to grow a piece of software, sometimes you have to stop supporting older hardware and software APIs. Carry on toward the future, SRB2 devs.

Yay,I am stoked to see someone still cares about making a version for Android. :D
Being stuck without access to Windows for most of the day keeps me from having time to play SRB2. :(

I spend my limited one-session time making literally hundreds of new GS codes for Banjo-Tooie and I am kinda addicted to it.
For the past few days,i've accumulated over 250 new addresses on one page!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back