BETTER GRAPHICS ENGINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Pretty chill guy
Just a suggestion: Can you use the jMonkey engine to make srb2 with better graphics? I know it would alter the game alot, but I heard the jMonkey engine is pretty good.....On the other hand it might make the original "old-school" style of SRB2 go away........

If you're willing to recode SRB2 using your proposed engine, be my guest. Otherwise, I can assure you that this will not happen.

Do you really think it's that easy to just switch between engines? SRB2 is arguably the prettiest Sonic fangame around to begin with. It's taken the coding team 5 years to get to where they are now. Spending double that time just to switch engines is a complete waste of time. I'm sure that they'd rather spend that time adding new features to the game, or doing something else productive.

Besides, OGL is pretty enough for me. After all. don't fix something that isn't broken.

Sorry....... I was just asking if its possible(for me or for others) to use a certain engine, excuse me if the whole thing came out wrong.

Meh, my main complaint with OpenGL is the horrible colormapping. That's probably the only reason why I'm still a software user.

SRB2 has a different air, it's different... if the DooMy sprite and mapping system is removed, the game loses the fun, on my opinion. xD

Draykon said:
BlueZero4 said:
Meh, my main complaint with OpenGL is the horrible colormapping. That's probably the only reason why I'm still a software user.
PrettySRB2?

PrettySRB2 has horrible Failures when joining, I sent a complaint in To Logan and he said it's not his problem.

The ONLY thing I could really want extra from OpenGL at this point is an uncapped framerate, or at least a higher cap, perhaps with some kind of linear interpolation of the various movement going on to fill in the resulting extra frames. It'd be pretty.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that subject has come up at LEAST once, and then it was stated that it wasn't gonna happen. But hell, I can dream.

That being said, if SRB2 were to hop gears to any other source port - and it won't, ever - then my vote goes to GZDOOM, plain and simple. Slopes AND FOFs, Dynamic lighting, ACS (as opposed to linedef executors), DECORATE, and tons more; aside from the utter hell that coding such a modification would produce, what's not to love?

Ice said:
On the other hand it might make the original "old-school" style of SRB2 go away........

That WOULD be a bad thing........I like the genesis style, and it would be kinda sad for it to go away

SRB2 uses Doom Legacy. We're not changing it at this point in development. This has been discussed before, and we don't need to discuss it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back