• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Can anyone reccomend a good WAD maker/editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRB2-Playah

Ne'er-Do-Anythin'
Hi.
I've downloaded many WADs for SRB2. (The file I use for SRB2 has about 220MB worth of data in it. :eek: )
And I've developed a desire to try my hand at WAD making.
Can anyone reccomend a good WAD maker/editor? One that doesen't require the download of a DOOM game, (I've downloaded many things, and room on my computer is scarce. :| So i don't really want the download of 2 programs.) One that's easy-to-use, stuff like that.
an apology, or an "I'm just a n00b" :P excuse in advance if this topic was repeated before, and for any mispellings.
Thank you, and good day... Or night, whenever you're reading this.

EDIT: Oh,yeah. and/or one that doesen't cost money. :P

I don't think anyone here has paid for WadAuthor. You can just delete and re-unzip it after 30 days, and it continues to work.

I've heard that it is possible somehow to get Doom Builder to accept srb2.srb as an IWAD (main wad file), and not use doom2.wad. However, I would strongly suggest you find a way to get 14.37 megabytes for a copy of doom2.wad. WadAuthor, although people joke about its bugs, is overall a better editor, it has a guide written specifically for it, and don't tell anyone I said this, but if you look, you'll see that all the 'A' grade addons are made with WadAuthor. To put it mildly.

Anyway, I myself have no idea how to go about using srb2.srb as an IWAD, so someone else will have to comment, if you do decide to go that route.

I can't say as WadAuthor really had much that appealed to me that Doom Builder didn't, aside from a list of every possible error in the map and the ability to edit raw data for Things. Otherwise, if you can do it in one, you can probably do it in the other.

My suggestion is just to try both and let yourself decide. They're both good; WadAuthor has the aforementioned features, while Doom Builder has a (somewhat unstable) 3D Mode that lets you check out your level on-the-fly. It really depends on what YOU want out of your editor, and for all the minor things, either one will cut it.

For someone without Doom editing experience, the fact that I've written a guide specifically for one of the editors is pretty important.

I find, contrary to first impressions, that WadAuthor, properly used is way more stable and less likely to mess up levels. Unless it was fixed recently, Doom Builder erases map headers every time it saves.

I got WadAuthor, I got the doom2.wad, got the SRB2 Config file, I've just finished a441's WAD making guide, I've stayed up all night, it's 7:00 am here, i'm sleepy, so, I'm gonna go to bed. G'night folks.
So, umm... Should I lock or delete this topic, or something?

I agree whit hotdog003 . I use DB and no problem. Lots of features.

Soooo, you wanna make levels, do ya? Here's a tip: DON'T. The frustration is immense. The map header is impossible. I just started recently (about a month or so) and I STILL haven't made a playable level. Mabye it's because I suck. I dunno.

I also wouldnt go as impossible, but not very hard either. I use wadauthor and DeePsea both to make levels (well i kinda gave up on deepsea.) Wadauthor is for beginers who are new to level editing. As soon as you find it really easy to make a level in it, then you can change to DoomBuilder which i heard is somewhat easier. The fact that it erases map headers is the reason i stopped using it.

So overall, its your choice, your level, your life.
... eh not really.

I've said this many times, but use both WadAuthor and DoomBuilder. They both have their shines and dents. WA can build sectors much more easily and manipulate those sectors, however, it can't really do anything requiring a messload of precision. Doombuilder absolutely sucks at what WA is good at, but the 3D mode, the ability to place things much more easily, curve linedefs, and an easier zoom balances that out. Use them both when you need it.

As for not making levels, don't listen to Ritz. Taking the empty map as a canvas for you to throw anything on will not work, but if you have an idea in your head, take a piece of paper or even Paint, and put the idea down. Easy enough to transfer it over to the computer. All of my levels were made this way. It worked pretty well too. As for the header, don't worry about that till much later, when you have basic level design down. When that is finished, putting in a header is easier than pie.

a441 said:
Unless it was fixed recently, Doom Builder erases map headers every time it saves.
It does, but given that it otherwise works great, I can live with making a shortcut to lumpmod with the commands all set up and running that every time I save.

A bit much work? Maybe, but it doesn't particularly phase me.

I think I'll stick with WA for awhile. I'll try out DB sometime, though.
I'm checking out WA's abilities by making an experimental WAD level.
If any of you are interested in seeing it, Private Mail me with your e-mail address, specify whether you want it in a ZIP file or not, and I'll e-mail it to you when I can.

I just figured out how to insert the header about an hour after I made that post. I guess it's not that hard, after all. Now I know everything I need to make levels. The only problem is that whenever I start making a REAL level (with FOF's and such), they won't work right. Whenever I start the level, the game crashes. It doesn't even tell me about a segment violation or anything... My real problem is that I'm not a very creative person. I can think of certain bits and parts of levels, but those "bits and parts" are beyond my skill level at this time. And if I just try to throw together a level, it winds up being too linear and boring. Mystic, are you EVER going to finish that guide?

Mystic's guide on the design aspect of making levels? As far as I know, he decided he was too lazy to do it, and gave up. Some people find it helpful to sketch rough maps on paper before going into the editor. Maybe that would help you?

It seems my experimental WAD's becoming an actual WAD. It's called Sonic Racetrack (Though the game still identifies it as Green Flower zone.). I'm gonna throw a lot of cool things in... Things I know how to do, anyway. :P
It's a challenging racetrack made specifically for Sonic. It's littered with springs to launch you backwards, and some that launch you forward, little conveyer belts that'll push you faster forward, or force you backwards, little walls to block your path, Pits of sludge, lava, and electricity, And slippery ice, about 3 ponds, and on normal difficulty, some enemy crawlas.
I'm liking how things are going with this. Once I know how, I'm gonna slap in Teleporters, Crushers, Pits, Wind and currents, and other stuff.
I believe that when I'm done with it, it's gonna be a HONKIN' HUGE file... Then I'm gonna make a Tails Racetrack. :P
I've made a playable version of this incomplete track if anyone's interested. Maybe use it to race with some buddies. If you're interested, send me a PM with your E-mail, specify if you want it in a ZIP file or not. Like before.
One of these days, I need to get a website, or something. :?

EDIT: Forgot to mention. There's a few speed-up moniters, and right before the electric/sludge/lava pits, there's a Green, red, and yellow shield to provide invulerability to one type of pit. But, which one to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back