Portal is FREE until May 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangelink

Apparently to promote the fact it is now compatible with the Mac platform, the game Portal is now free until May 24th. Portal is a fps/puzzle game in which you have a "Portal gun" which allows you to create portals which connect to each other to solve puzzles.

Portal has become ridiculously popular over the years, and for a good reason- the game is much, much better than it sounds. I highly recommend anyone who does not have this game currently to obtain it while it is still free.

The link to the promotional webpage is as followed:
http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/

EDIT: As Ghost_Zero pointed out, this is not one of those "you get to play until may 24th" things. Grab the game before May 24th, and you get to keep and play it as much as you want. You don't even have to download it right now- you can just add it to your steam library and decide to download it at a later date. There's no real downside to this.

Last edited:
Just to clarify things since there was a huge fuss about it on another forum, it's not play until the 24th, it's get it before the 24th and keep it forever.

A someone who hasn't played Portal before, I must say that this game, although easy and short, impressed me a lot, and I'm definitely buying the sequel this summer.

Honestly, what self respecting Gamer hasn't heard of Portal? It won around 70 game of the year awards!

I also think this is too generous... But I don't care, IT'S FREE!

I could've saved money by not buying the orange box and actually get Portal for free? DAMNIT! But if I never got the Orange box, I would have never found out how fun Half-life 2 and Team Fortress 2 were.

I've got a problem...
whynorun.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egU0j4pBaRU

I had that happen before.

It seems when other applications are running, or if I'm browsing the forums. The screen will turn black and cut back onto the desktop.
Edit: Why are you checking it against the Orange Box? Portal is a choice you know.
Edit2: Oh... NVM.. it just shows the Orange Box.

Last edited:
Thing is, it still happens with Steam being the only thing still going, and it autoruns with Portal.

Last edited:
Right Click Portal -> Properties -> Launch Options -> Put -autoconfig in that little box, if that doesn't work try -novid.

FFFFFF
I've been wanting to play this game since it was first released.
Now that I download it, my computer decides that its graphics card is too much of a weaksauce to handle it

You might also want to update your graphics card drivers. I did that and Portal doesn't randomly crash every 2 or so levels. My card isn't on the tested list, but I knew it supported directx9, so I was good to go.

FFFFFF
I've been wanting to play this game since it was first released.
Now that I download it, my computer decides that its graphics card is too much of a weaksauce to handle it

LOL.

That would be funny if you bought it and then your graphics card acts up. :p

Did you try -dxlevel 80 or -dxlevel 70 in the launch parameters? That can let some stuff work better at the cost of making the graphics glitch up a little every once in a while. (And IIRC, Source goes as low as -delevel 60, while making it be very buggy.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back