A SRB2 level generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
What would you guys think if a level generator for SRB2 were created? Would it be a good idea in the long run? I have a feeling it would make the Releases system either much more complicated or impossible. It would be revolutionary, yes, but in a good or bad way?

Your thread makes no sense at all. Do you mean a level editor, as Doom has plenty of those, some of which are even hacked to support SRB2 better? Do you mean a random stage generator, as those generally suck? Do you mean a random string of words with no meaning?

I really can't tell.

What would you guys think if a level generator for SRB2 were created? Would it be a good idea in the long run?
I know that Doom level generators are absolutely frowned upon because the levels they create are very small and simplistic. SRB2 generally has larger stages than Doom, so any SRB2 level that a generator could create would be way too small.

But that's just the smallest issue. Level generators can't design. They can only create at random. A level generator might be able to create the layout of a stage like Meadow Match, but it would be utterly unable to decide where the items should be placed. Anything beyond that scale, even something as simple as Sapphire Falls, would be impossible to create. Not to mention that a machine couldn't think of the riverbed gimmick that the stage revolves around.

Single player stages are of course out of the question.

I have a feeling it would make the Releases system either much more complicated or impossible.
It would be very easy to tell a generated stage from a humanly made one, so it wouldn't be any problem. I'm also pretty sure that if such a level generator was made, anybody who submits a generated stage would be banned or at least infracted.

It would be revolutionary, yes, but in a good or bad way?
In an absolutely terrible way. But don't worry. First of all, nobody will make such a thing, and second of all, even if somebody does, it won't produce anything playable.

Even if that did happen, It won't add needed things like Player start.

Your thread makes no sense at all. Do you mean a level editor, as Doom has plenty of those, some of which are even hacked to support SRB2 better? Do you mean a random stage generator, as those generally suck? Do you mean a random string of words with no meaning?

I really can't tell.

Basically, I mean a random level generator. And I agree with SpiritCrusher, it isn't a good idea at all, at least if it's bad at creating levels, which it most likely will be if it ever gets created.

a441 coded a random level generator once. JTE's the only one who'd have the source these days, and I'm pretty sure he lost it last time I asked. I couldn't get it running, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything impressive!

But that's just the smallest issue. Level generators can't design. They can only create at random. A level generator might be able to create the layout of a stage like Meadow Match, but it would be utterly unable to decide where the items should be placed. Anything beyond that scale, even something as simple as Sapphire Falls, would be impossible to create. Not to mention that a machine couldn't think of the riverbed gimmick that the stage revolves around.

Single player stages are of course out of the question.

Technically, given infinite time, and infinite possibilities, it could create an amazing, if not perfect map. ;D

Technically, given infinite time, and infinite possibilities, it could create an amazing, if not perfect map. ;D
While I'm at it, I'll round up an infinite amount of monkeys, give them typewriters, and have them write both the Complete Works of Shakespeare, but also a movie that makes Citizen Kane look like crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back