Trouble with Camera While Using a Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that this is my first post here, used to play SRB2 back when Castle Eggman involved pushing around gargoyles or something to that nature. Remember it still existed when someone mentioned Doom and Sonic in the same sentence so I decided to give it another go.

I'm trying to use a Rock Candy Xbox 360 USB controller to play SRB2's single player mode. Definitely not trying to use it for multiplayer FPS-modes, lets get that out of the way.
My problem starts with trying to set my camera control to my second control stick; it works, I have the controller selected in the options. Movement, turning, and strafing are all functional. Except that when I try to look, instead of the camera panning from left to right, it goes up and down. It doesn't matter what axis Joystick Looking is set to, inputs only make it go up and down.

I'm sure there is some console command magic that can fix this, but I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough to even attempt something like that. While searching the forums I saw the other joystick related topics and their answers, but all of them were about actually getting the joystick to function, not this particular camera issue.

Again, sorry that my first post is asking for help and not contributing, but I honestly didn't think I would run into this kind of problem when using a controller.

Nope. The "looking" thing is strictly for "look up/down". What you want is the joystick "turning" axis if not using analog mode, or set-up controls "turn camera left/right" if using analog mode. (And no, you can't bind the "turn camera left/right" controls to the right stick nor LT and RT (as they are axises, not buttons). I have it bound to what on XBox controllers are Y and B, using X for spinning and A for jumping.)

Edit: I have made a suggestion for being able to use the turn axis in analog mode for turning the camera instead of moving left/right, however it won't be implemented before version 2.2 of Sonic Robo Blast 2 gets released, and even then it's still uncertain it'll be implemented.

Last edited:
Oh, well that's a shame. I'll try put look Left/Right to Y and B like you suggested, or maybe the Left/Right bumpers. Thanks for the quick answer.

Well, if you're not going to use the controller for first-person, you will probably prefer binding it to LB and RB over Y and B. I just have those two buttons bound to shooting rings in first-person game-types, so they're not free for camera controls for me.

SRB2 doesn't have good analog support so I would recommend using mouse and keyboard instead.

SRB2 doesn't have good analog support so I would recommend using mouse and keyboard instead.
I can't confirm Sonic Robo Blast 2 has bad joystick support. In fact the opposite, with the only exception being the lack of a way to make an axis turn the camera in analog mode.

The camera is a bit of a problem, as the normal camera position is too slow to help you see what's near you (bosses, boss attacks, enemies).

The camera is a bit of a problem, as the normal camera position is too slow to help you see what's near you (bosses, boss attacks, enemies).

You can speed up the rotation. And zoom out as well. In my autoexec.cfg I have

Code:
cam_height 70
cam_speed 0.25
cam_rotspeed 30
can_dist 190

For tricky jumps and positioning, it's super helpful to bind a button to switch between 1st and 3rd person mode. I use R3 (press the right stick):

Code:
bind joy17 "TOGGLE CHASECAM; CAM_HEIGHT 70; CAM_DIST 190"

You have to reset the distance every time, though, hence the extra commands.

Last, get xpadder if you're using windows (use xboxdrv in Linux) and bind the triggers to the "[" and "]" keys in xpadder (which, in turn, are bound to turning the camera in game). Still not as good as right-stick camera movement, since there's only one speed.

Honestly, though, even in single-player, I did much better turning analog mode off altogether. Jumps are so much easier to line up that way. Especially cause of the 2-d character models often messing up depth perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back