Kirby Fighters 2

Honestly it feels like filler. It was leaked, announced, and released in a day. It looks like Smash Bros but worse. It's overpriced. I'm skipping it. It doesn't look interesting at all.

I have mixed feelings just from watching single player gameplay. It looks like HAL is just recycling gameplay mechanics and padding the content with repetition at this point. Non-final boss battles which don't react to your attacks in any meaningful way needs to stop being a fighting game standard. Grinding for additional content needs to stop being an industry standard, period. Also, adding an online multiplayer while neglecting the option for 1v1 is galaxy brained.

I see the definitive edition for Rivals of Aether being released at pretty much the same time, and it just seems like I may as well spend the extra ten bucks on a fighting game that's less filler and more mechanically refined.

There is no bad Kirby game (even the lesser spinoffs are still decent at worst).

I just won't pay 20 bucks for a digital only game...

Personally I think Kirby Star Allies is a bad game (the main story, at least; the extra content definitely carried the game imo). It was just holding right, and when it wasn't, it was either piss easy puzzles that aren't even puzzles because they tell you exactly what to do, or enemy battle waves that are also piss easy. Say what you want about how it's supposed tk be easy, but it's easy to the point where it thinks you're dumb. Kids aren't as dumb as you think. I don't wanna get off topic, though.

Last edited:
Personally I think Kirby Star Allies is a bad game (the main story, at least; the extra content definitely carried the game imo). It was just holding right, and when it wasn't, it was either piss easy puzzles that aren't even puzzles because they tell you exactly what to do, or enemy battle waves that are also piss easy. Say what you want about how it's supposed tk be easy, but it's easy to the point where it thinks you're dumb. Kids aren't as dumb as you think. I don't wanna get off topic, though.

Most Kirby campaigns are abysmally easy nowadays, you're pretty much relying on arena mode if you want any semblance of challenge. That's definitely were Allies shines the most, especially considering that the elemental powerups and the team compositions make for some interesting bossrush playthroughs. I will also say that the endgame campaign they added through the updates is also pretty fun.

Last edited:
Being a huge kirby fan, this is the most medicore kirby game we got since the top-down kirby royale game on 3ds. They're probably planning to put more dlc characters in the mix like marx or susie, but if they do, I'm hoping they'll add something more extra than what we have now.

I am sorry but in the current videogame climate I'd rather have a game that is too easy than a game that is straight up being filled with glitches.

Star Allies cannot be bad because it would mean that games made today are so good one like Star Allies is bad because of that.

If it were the 90's I would have said that a game that is too easy is bad, in the 2010's it isn't.

This is the most mediocre kirby game we got since the top-down kirby royale game on 3ds.
Battle Royale and Fighters 2 are spin-offs, therefore this isn't a problem if the quality is lower than the mainline games...

Honestly it feels like filler. It was leaked, announced, and released in a day. It looks like Smash Bros but worse. It's overpriced. I'm skipping it. It doesn't look interesting at all.

As a person who has actually played it doesn't feel anything like Smash Bros. it's literally like any Kirby game except you're trying to defeat other Kirby's

Also, the "easiness" of (mainline) Kirby games isn't really a problem, I still have lots of fun with the games, challenging or not, because its a video game after all. The purpose was always for fun. Kirby carries that goal flawlessly.
Though the Kirby games kind of depend on how you play them. You can simply avoid using copy abilities, use them as your main mode of attack or movement, or do everything in the game to get a 100%. As a more experienced player, I prefer copy abilities and always go for 100%, because that's that most fun and satisfying part about Kirby games as a whole. I mean, copy abilities do less damage to enemies and are only better than the Dream Land style of play when you get to master many of them, which is also a pro.

I have mixed feelings just from watching single player gameplay. It looks like HAL is just recycling gameplay mechanics and padding the content with repetition at this point. Non-final boss battles which don't react to your attacks in any meaningful way needs to stop being a fighting game standard. Grinding for additional content needs to stop being an industry standard, period. Also, adding an online multiplayer while neglecting the option for 1v1 is galaxy brained.

I see the definitive edition for Rivals of Aether being released at pretty much the same time, and it just seems like I may as well spend the extra ten bucks on a fighting game that's less filler and more mechanically refined.
I disagree with the first 3 points you made. Kirby Fighters 2, at its core, isn't like any other fighting game. It's literally doesn't feel like Smash Bros like a lot of people say, it's like other Kirby games except you're trying to off opposing Kirby's.
Moreover, there are non-final boss battles that do react to your attacks, but to argument's credit, they are very scarce. I don't have a problem with any of them though, although it's just recycled bosses they didn't screw any of them up and they're still enjoyable to fight. The "grinding" for additional content doesn't feel as though you are grinding exactly, the starter abilities are still a good selection and the battle ranking system won't really matter because you level up really quick as you play. The copy abilities are rewards, and I don't really grind for any of them. The lack of 1v1 in the online battle mode is very disappointing though. I also wish items could be disabled, but that's my whole take.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

Being a huge kirby fan, this is the most medicore kirby game we got since the top-down kirby royale game on 3ds. They're probably planning to put more dlc characters in the mix like marx or susie, but if they do, I'm hoping they'll add something more extra than what we have now.
Is battle royale really that bad? I played the demo and it's not that bad, I actually really like it.

I generally err on the easy side myself (I don't have time for ballbusters anymore), but the issue with Star Allies' campaign and many of the other recent mainline Kirby titles is that they're not engaging.

This isn't something I would have ever said about Kirby's Adventure, because every level was unique and had solid progression in challenge and difficulty, but even more generally, there were quite a few enemies and minibosses that would deal pain if you didn't act quickly or approach carefully (blade knight, laser ball, flamer, Buggsy, Rolling Turtle), each enemy and miniboss had hard variants, and the level designers were not shy about throwing multiple different enemy types onto the same screen to trip the player up in the later levels.

You'd expect that this would be no different in a title like Star Allies (oftentime it closely follows level design principles of the old games), but in this game and every preceding one which uses the same engine, all of the enemies are much slower and have less reach, which makes it much easier to for players to just plow through them on auto-pilot. I feel like this is slightly less of an issue with Star Allies if you're playing a solo character, but it's been a consistent theme ever since Return to Dreamland. I think the leniency of the healthbar also compounds on this; even if the player were to make a mistake, there's almost never any real consequence for this until you hit the bossrushes.

This all to say, I don't want a "hard mode", I just want Kirby platformers at their core to ask for some basic frontal lobe activity out of me.

Star Allies cannot be bad because it would mean that games made today are so good one like Star Allies is bad because of that
I actually don't know what you just said; please rephrase.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

I disagree with the first 3 points you made. Kirby Fighters 2, at its core, isn't like any other fighting game. It's literally doesn't feel like Smash Bros like a lot of people say, it's like other Kirby games except you're trying to off opposing Kirby's.
Moreover, there are non-final boss battles that do react to your attacks, but to argument's credit, they are very scarce. I don't have a problem with any of them though, although it's just recycled bosses they didn't screw any of them up and they're still enjoyable to fight. The "grinding" for additional content doesn't feel as though you are grinding exactly, the starter abilities are still a good selection and the battle ranking system won't really matter because you level up really quick as you play. The copy abilities are rewards, and I don't really grind for any of them. The lack of 1v1 in the online battle mode is very disappointing though. I also wish items could be disabled, but that's my whole take.

To be clear, what I meant was that Kirby Fighters 2 looks overly derivative off of HAL's previous releases, not off of other fighting games. I had played the first Kirby Fighters, and I thought it was a fun diversion and a neat "what-if" Kirby battle simulator. It just seems to me that HAL is recycling or upscaling a lot of assets from Fighters, Star Allies, and Super Kirby Clash, for an experience that's ultimately more or less the same as Kirby Fighters 1 at its core. Though I appreciate that it doesn't rely too heavy on milking the level up system for playtime, if that really is the case; I guess I should have figured it's roughly the same as Kirby Clash. It's just easy for me to see how conservative HAL has been with their designs for recent Kirby titles and feel slightly jaded.

You're free to not buy this game as well...

You are also free to just play the older Kirby games (I plan to redo Planet Robobot and some other)

I generally err on the easy side myself (I don't have time for ballbusters anymore), but the issue with Star Allies' campaign and many of the other recent mainline Kirby titles is that they're not engaging.

This isn't something I would have ever said about Kirby's Adventure, because every level was unique and had solid progression in challenge and difficulty, but even more generally, there were quite a few enemies and minibosses that would deal pain if you didn't act quickly or approach carefully (blade knight, laser ball, flamer, Buggsy, Rolling Turtle), each enemy and miniboss had hard variants, and the level designers were not shy about throwing multiple different enemy types onto the same screen to trip the player up in the later levels.

You'd expect that this would be no different in a title like Star Allies (oftentime it closely follows level design principles of the old games), but in this game and every preceding one which uses the same engine, all of the enemies are much slower and have less reach, which makes it much easier to for players to just plow through them on auto-pilot. I feel like this is slightly less of an issue with Star Allies if you're playing a solo character, but it's been a consistent theme ever since Return to Dreamland. I think the leniency of the healthbar also compounds on this; even if the player were to make a mistake, there's almost never any real consequence for this until you hit the bossrushes.

This all to say, I don't want a "hard mode", I just want Kirby platformers at their core to ask for some basic frontal lobe activity out of me.
I get what you mean.

To be clear, what I meant was that Kirby Fighters 2 looks overly derivative off of HAL's previous releases, not off of other fighting games. I had played the first Kirby Fighters, and I thought it was a fun diversion and a neat "what-if" Kirby battle simulator. It just seems to me that HAL is recycling or upscaling a lot of assets from Fighters, Star Allies, and Super Kirby Clash, for an experience that's ultimately more or less the same as Kirby Fighters 1 at its core. Though I appreciate that it doesn't rely too heavy on milking the level up system for playtime, if that really is the case; I guess I should have figured it's roughly the same as Kirby Clash. It's just easy for me to see how conservative HAL has been with their designs for recent Kirby titles and feel slightly jaded.
Ehh, HAL has been doing that for decades, an example being the gba/ds games. Each game in those series of games, while reusing certain assets, had their own feel, and that applies to Fighters 2. It makes sense for Fighters 2 to upscale or reuse some assets from Fighters 1 because the point was to build off of and improve upon the original game, since the experimental formula was successful. However, it isn't really that similar to Kirby Clash when you get your hands on the game. It's just majorly expanded and improved Kirby Fighters, and it's great. I hope more Fighters games get the greenlight, there's a lot they could do with this formula.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back