Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoGod

Game Breaker
So SAMMY_SWAG and I have noticed there is a concerning amount of hackers on SRB2 who ruin the gameplay for anyone they may join. Me and Sam has managed to find out from a hacker that they are using a external exe called "SRB2Hacked.exe" and that this exe is being spread around. This is a message to anyone who hosts a server on SRB2 ban them when you first see any sign of the use of an aimbot cause these hackers do not deserve to play if they refuse to play the game correctly like the rest of us. I have had a chat with JTE the SRB2 Developer about these hackers and he said hardly anything can be done because SRB2 is an open source game which is fine but that means we are going to have to deal with these hackers ourselves by banning them from our servers. Hopefully this exe will be rendered useless in version 2.2.

Further note hackers are mostly seen on ToBeFree's server.

Mah Social Media:
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPnC8RseHcTWZoqChoPVeMQ
My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TecGod/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/technogod_

Last edited:
Well we had the same issue with 2.0.6. It got a little hotfix because of some .exe called srb2freeze.exe or something like that. I remember that it got patched to 2.0.7 to fix that problem.

In relation to this concern, the user Man533 Told me of another hacker. Not aimbot, he told me that the person used 'Speed hack' and 'Infinite special rings'. I have no clue who is doing this but yes its becoming an annoyance.

~MK

In relation to this concern, the user Man533 Told me of another hacker. Not aimbot, he told me that the person used 'Speed hack' and 'Infinite special rings'. I have no clue who is doing this but yes its becoming an annoyance.

~MK
lmao

The one, lone, single advantage of the way SRB2's netcode works is that things like this are impossible to do without the host loading a WAD of some sort. Clients only send button inputs, so they can't do anything that a normal player couldn't do with button inputs without causing the game to resync and reverse it.

Also, some of you people need to actually use the MB's signature function instead of copy-pasting it into all of your posts

All we need to do is wait for the next version and the problem will be solved. These hackers probably are just too lazy to just play the game and earn real skill. I guess hackers never learn.

It's actually pretty easy to perform some fun tricks which i consider as "Cheats" , All you have to do is to put some Name,Skin or Color commands in a .txt file and add this to the last line
Code:
color red
wait 3
color yellow
exec yourtxt.txt
So that your txt will keep re-executong itself, Just wanted to let you know so that you "may" attempt to fix it.

lmao

The one, lone, single advantage of the way SRB2's netcode works is that things like this are impossible to do without the host loading a WAD of some sort. Clients only send button inputs, so they can't do anything that a normal player couldn't do with button inputs without causing the game to resync and reverse it.

Also, some of you people need to actually use the MB's signature function instead of copy-pasting it into all of your posts

True, very true but i was told this so yeah.

I wonder. Why so many N00B players are jealous to players who trained hard without hack or something like that? What's the point using a hack in a game? Srb2 Hackers thinks, the normal players will never know they are really hackers, we are considered as idiots for them. What's so funny and cool using a stupid aimbot (which anyone can handle it)? I dealt with lots of hackers in this game and no one beated me. I actually showed them the truth and what really means to be fair. They deserve lessons than other things.

I had no problem with people trying to aimbot for the most part. I still won the game. SRB2 and its projectile-based game-play is just very hard to turn into an aimbot without predicting what method of control a player is likely to perform next, the movement pattern of the player, the lag, etc. Even your neighborhood Zandronum has trouble with this. I'm really not to worried at all, and aimbot players are easy to spot, too. We found one in our Match VPS who actually talked to me, and we had a big discussion about bots and how they would interact with the environment. Not sure about the two other encounters (possibly the same guy) But I did warn him about using it on our server.

This is all excluding the only hitscan weapon, that, should a very well-rounded player decide, could hoard it and stay protected with a shield.

Last edited:
I don't know, been Kicking players asses on Match servers all the time , they even called me a "Cheater" because of that .

Dude, people are going to cheat whether you do anything about it or not, it's a losing battle. The best you can do is ask the server admin or a mod to ban those people.

Dude, people are going to cheat whether you do anything about it or not, it's a losing battle. The best you can do is ask the server admin or a mod to ban those people.

The thing is, this is pointless since they'll just go on another server and ruin everyone else's fun

The thing is, this is pointless since they'll just go on another server and ruin everyone else's fun
Well, that solves the problem for everyone on the server, and is really the only thing you can do: this is a fangame and it doesn't really have any anti-cheat systems that could prevent anyone who's hacked from entering any other server.
The only other option I can think of would be having a hack-proof game so that this sort of thing doesn't even happen to begin with, but reading what RedEnchilada said this already seems to be the case, so...

Last edited:
For the most part no hackers join my server... (Thank god)
So the only place I've seen hackers at is on Foxboy's and ToBeFree's dedicated servers.

Also I've learned it's pretty easy to spot hackers.

Every hacker I've seen never talks and has a really generic name.
(sonic,tails,knuckles,player 1, 2, 3,...)

For the most part no hackers join my server... (Thank god)
So the only place I've seen hackers at is on Foxboy's and ToBeFree's dedicated servers.

Also I've learned it's pretty easy to spot hackers.

Every hacker I've seen never talks and has a really generic name.
(sonic,tails,knuckles,player 1, 2, 3,...)

Sometimes, this isn't the case, They copy peoples names such as 'LJ Sonic' and 'Technogod'

Sorry for the late response to this week-old thread, but as I get PMs by people who want to become an admin to kick/ban "hackers", this post might be needed to explain something RedEnchilada mentioned before.
I'll simply paste the relevant part of my PM answer. :)

You'd like to kick/ban hackers, which is normally an awesome idea, as hackers hurt everybody with their unfair advantage. Hacking is very common and problematic in games with millions of players. These games (like World of Warcraft) have so many players that the servers can't really check everyone's actions. In games like World of Warcraft, every player sends their current position to the server. Hacking is easy there: just tell the server "I am in the city" and the server will believe you, so you can "teleport" to the city, for example.
SRB2 matches, however, have much less players. The server has no problem to calculate the position and movement of every player in the game (up to 32, that's nearly nothing for a computer). The SRB2 server does *not* blindly believe what the clients say. The server accepts only *actions* from the players, like "I want to thok now and run as fast as I can in this direction". The server calculates how the player moves with this action, and sends the result back to all players at the same time. The server will wait until everybody received the new position of all players. This is why a player with a slow connection can cause the server to wait ("lag") until even the player with the slow connection finally learned that Tails player 5 has now moved a bit upwards.

Because of this design, no player needs to be trusted by the server. The game can not be abused by someone who sends wrong information to the server. The server checks and computes every action done by the players, and nobody can cheat.

It would be theoretically possible to write a bot that does all actions for you. This bot could not cheat in any way, but the server can't check if you are really sitting at your keyboard. It can only check if the commands you send are legal. However, as there is no way for anyone else to tell if somebody uses a bot, we have to assume that nobody is using a bot. We can't kick/ban players for playing as good as a bot, because they could really be a human playing as good as a bot. An "aimbot" is a bot that only assists you with shooting while you have to move yourself. This is even harder to detect, as a good rail shooter could do exactly the same things. Again, kicking people for being good shooters will be very unfair to people who are really good at manual aiming.

Freezing the game, maybe done easiest by pulling the Ethernet cable, plugging it in again and repeating this forever, causes the server to wait for you. There is a timeout after which the server says "Your connection is so horrible that I can't let you play here" and kicks you, and that does work relatively well. There might be ways to make the server wait forever (just like the Slowloris attack on HTTP servers), but this would be a bug and not intended by the developers. The 2.0.7 update fixed such an attack possibility, if I understand it correctly.

In a nutshell: If there is a "hacked" version of SRB2, it can only work in single player games or if you host a multiplayer match yourself. If you are the server, you have to check if everybody adheres to the rules, and you do the movement calculations. In your own (single player / self-hosted) game, you might be able to "hack" because you are trusted by all other players. In multiplayer SRB2 games, as a client, there is no way to "hack". There are ways to be annoying, but there is no way to get any advantage in the game by using a modified client. The reason is not "This mysterious SRB2Hacked.exe does not exist", but the reason is "Even if this thing exists, it is completely useless."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back