Tails Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEV3

There and back again~
When I played SRB2 one thing that I noticed was that Tails' flying is really hard to control. Therefore, although it is supposed to make him the easiest, I often end up getting stuck and trying to turn around and running out of flight. I know that even the official games are a little annoying with 3d flight (target shooting in SH, Tails' balloon mission in SA:DX) but this still makes it alot harder.

Maybe if instead of turning, you could strafe while flying, or have the SA mode movement (not flight) enabled only for flying to give more control. It seems that after descending a bit you can turn, but while rising you can't turn, making movement difficult when you are tapping it to fly. I find the only level where Tails is actually easier than Knux is Aerial Garden, but it is still hard trying to navigate.

You *can* strafe in the air, it's just not as apparent. Air control isn't any different for tails when he's flying, ya know. Air control is just different.

It's really impossible to move in air unless you're using mouselook, though.

Just don't run real fast and jump and fly. It's easier to maneuver while going slow.

It's something you have to get used to. The problem with SA-style turning is that it's too loose. Right now, Tails has a lot of precision. However, if his turning were a lot looser, anyone with even the slightest bit of control lag in netgames would fly all over the place.

I actually find that air control using strafe (WASD) is very nice. Don't try to turn with the arrow keys, that will just throw off your momentum.

Don't run and jump while flying? o_O

If strafing is so much better for flight could the movement be limited to it while flying? Only problem would be the 'u' turns which I don't really think it would be wise for Tails to try anyways.

It's something you have to get used to. The problem with SA-style turning is that it's too loose. Right now, Tails has a lot of precision. However, if his turning were a lot looser, anyone with even the slightest bit of control lag in netgames would fly all over the place.

I'm supposed to get used to the (supposedly) easiest character in the game?! And precision really doesn't help when you can hardly move. BTW control lag even in current netgames would make them fall short of their targets.

I think it is just a little odd that I (not the best player I admit but not the worst) have trouble mastering the easiest character. I pretty much never play as Tails (except in Aerial Garden Time Attack). I actually have more control using a running long jump as Sonic than navigating obstacles/enemies as Tails while flying.

I will try strafing as I didn't think it would be possible to strafe while flying. (actually don't have it set up in my controls)

Setting it to automatically strafe only would be bad. Some people don't use their mouse to turn (though they really should), so they wouldn't be able to turn left or right.

JEV3 said:
If strafing is so much better for flight could the movement be limited to it while flying? Only problem would be the 'u' turns which I don't really think it would be wise for Tails to try anyways.

1) Mouselook. Turn and strafe simultaneously. If you do that, all you problems with Tails will be solved.

2) Don't ever u-turn with tails. Hit reverse over a nice place to land and then reposition yourself.

I think that it is easy to control tails fly with the arrow keys. What I do when I want to turn is hold the down arrow key until I stop moving then go in the derection that I want

Yeah I strafe in the air too and it helps a lot, but when someone made Fast Fly Tails wad, then it made things more easier to move with him. So either just strafe while flying or just add Fast Fly Tails if you have him.

It's actually easy to dodge anything as tails if you're still asending and moving at high speeds.

Ascending is crushial. You can add the same, if not greater, evasion by adding another dimension to your movement, than just speeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back