• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 WAD Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I think this is a good idea. The wiki gives you all the specific information you need, but it doesn't show you step by step how to use Slade for instance, and I've had quite a few people who had trouble with that.

On the subject there should probably be a clearer note on the wiki tutorial somewhere about converting to Doom format and using offsets. Those are the two most common mistakes with beginner wadders. "Did you convert the sprites to Doom format?" is like the "Is your printer plugged in?" of wadding. =P

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try and do a tutorial every few days, and when each WAD is finished I'll release it on the thread/video description for a reference of the final product.

I would like these. The wiki tutorials are sometimes very vague on information, probably because it's being written by experienced mappers.
I think the pages need to be rewritten from the perspective of a total noob, because that's what they'e written FOR.

Name me examples of things that are vague or hard to understand, and I will be glad to fix them. I have been trying in the last few years to get rid of as much vagueness as possible.

Funny how the end result wad doesn't work in single player and just leaves you with a normal sonic that is unable to move, jump or spin, which is what happens when there is inconsistency between the skin name and something in the maincfg. Or maybe it was the other way around...

Funny how the end result wad doesn't work in single player and just leaves you with a normal sonic that is unable to move, jump or spin, which is what happens when there is inconsistency between the skin name and something in the maincfg. Or maybe it was the other way around...

There was something I forgot to fix. I'll update it today, I promise!

Would it be possible for someone to make a Doom Builder tutorial for 2.1? It just seems near impossible with the wiki's text.

Yeah. I feel so frustrated when I try to make a level with the doom builder tutorial, it just doesn't explain things well enough for me.
Then again, I am kind of an idiot, so sometimes I do need more detailed explanations on things.

We have no idea what's so vague to you, so whining about it being too vague isn't helping improve the tutorial on it at all.

Name me examples of things that are vague or hard to understand, and I will be glad to fix them.

It's not like someone didn't ask you what exactly is the problem either.

Yeah. I feel so frustrated when I try to make a level with the doom builder tutorial, it just doesn't explain things well enough for me.
Then again, I am kind of an idiot, so sometimes I do need more detailed explanations on things.

That's weird, I'm spanish and I don't always understand what does the wiki says, but I think the wiki provides you detailed explanations and they also provide you example maps. When I can't find some specific information, I open zones.dta (or a map that haves what you want) or I'll do some kind of experiments in test maps.

...There's also an editing help page, so... you know, you can always ask if you don't understand something.

The wiki is incredibly detailed but sometimes as a visual learner it's simply better for me to see with my own two eyes how steps are done. Though no fault of the wiki, sometimes I just have difficulty understanding it.

These could be added to the wiki pages if they haven't already been.

I just incredibly learned how to use Srb2 Doom Builder in 1 day. But that doesn't quits the lack of understanding sense of the wiki. The lava linedef tutorial is not present on the wiki, for example. I've made some polish to the emblem guide, sure people will love me for implement how to beat GFZ3' time record X)))))).

Last edited:
I just incredibly learned how to use Srb2 Doom Builder in 1 day. But that doesn't quits the lack of understanding sense of the wiki. The lava linedef tutorial is not present on the wiki, for example. I've made some polish to the emblem guide, sure people will love me for implement how to beat GFZ3' time record X)))))).
You can find lava here among other damaging liquids and THZ's slime.

Sorry for doublepost...

But that doesn't quits the lack of understanding sense of the wiki. The lava linedef tutorial is not present on the wiki, for example.
Lava is a sector type. You apply it to your sector and there you go, you have lava. There really doesn't need to be a tutorial for this, the article on the sector type itself is more than enough.

Again, if there are issues with the wiki, by all means point them out, but the complaints in this thread are just ludicrous.

The wiki is incredibly detailed but sometimes as a visual learner it's simply better for me to see with my own two eyes how steps are done. Though no fault of the wiki, sometimes I just have difficulty understanding it.

These could be added to the wiki pages if they haven't already been.

I'm running into this type of problem myself.
It took some time to realize that the texture boxes were not labeled, but rather, had tooltips, for instance, and I'm still having trouble with anything beyond extremely rudimentary sector shaping. Things related linedef front and back between adjacent sectors could do with some extra explanation as well, as it can cause a bit of a headache with front/back texturing for a newbie.

Perhaps a series of images (preferably in 90% quality .jpg for its lower file size) could be used in conjunction with the tutorials on the wiki, showing side by side the actions taken and the effect it has in 3D view/playtesting?

It took some time to realize that the texture boxes were not labeled, but rather, had tooltips, for instance
I don't know what you're referring to with this.

Things related linedef front and back between adjacent sectors could do with some extra explanation as well, as it can cause a bit of a headache with front/back texturing for a newbie.
The SRB2 Doom Builder tutorial goes over this in quite some detail and with specific examples, and I don't know what else could be added that wouldn't be a repetition of what's already explained. The rest comes with practice.

Perhaps a series of images (preferably in 90% quality .jpg for its lower file size) could be used in conjunction with the tutorials on the wiki, showing side by side the actions taken and the effect it has in 3D view/playtesting?
I agree, and the tutorials are all supposed to have images to illustrate the instructions given in the text, but sadly images are pretty neglected on the wiki in general. I'm all for more images, but somebody has to take them.

I can, but I'm a bit lazy|:I to do it 'right now'. Also, I've noticed that in the "Water Design" page of the wiki, Goo water, Traslucent and Goo Water, Traslucent, No Sides are empty pages. They have to be removed or are them the new slime system of 2.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back