SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 12-23-2019   #6221
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

For the OpenGL renderer, having sprite rotation (e.g. characters in NiGHTS special stages) actually rotate the vertices of an un-rotated sprite, rather than "axis-alignedly" rendering a pre-rotated texture, would be nice.

That would allow more ("infinite") different rotation angles without cluttering the memory with multiple rotated copies of the textures or such, and simultaneously allow for "sub-pixel precision" on the sprite due to rotating the drawn element itself.

I understand that the textures themselves are rotated for the software renderer to ease the rendering, but why for the OpenGL one?

Similarly, though much less importantly (and unimportantly for vanilla SRB2), PNG textures shouldn't be converted into paletted things on the OpenGL renderer. I understand it for the software renderer, which only outputs the paletted colours anyway, but... That takes away truecolour support from the PNGs even in the truecolour-capable renderer (Edit: At least for level/object textures/sprites in WADs/PK3s; I think that 3D models' PNGs remain truecolour?). At that point, it'd maybe even be better to just entirely not support PNGs in the first place, to avoid giving false expectations about image quality.

Last edited by Zwip-Zwap Zapony; 12-23-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019   #6222
SuperPhanto
SRB2 was my childhood

This might sound weird, but I think it would be kind of cool to bring back the 2.0 Brak Eggman fight, but as a Super Sonic fight, similar to that of Doomsday Zone in S3&K. Either that, or make it an emblem unlock-able.
But this community is also full of very talented, and very creative people that have done amazing things.
That's why I love it

Last edited by SuperPhanto; 12-23-2019 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Typo
SuperPhanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019   #6223
Sting the Cat

A little late, but I like the idea of Record Attack counting singleplayer playthroughs. Perhaps at the very least, the tokens could give 50 rings in Coop, where continues would be utterly useless?
Though, question, Mystic. If you implement this, how would it deal with Starposts?
Sting the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019   #6224
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

It's a longer term goal, but the idea is that if it would be a valid record attack run, it'd count, meaning if you die it wouldn't record it.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019   #6225
Augus

Are there plans to make 3D models an option that comes with the game, like with SRB2 Kart? The new “orbital camera” option seems like a weird inclusion otherwise, since you can’t really see the 2D sprites clearly from above at all. It would also certainly help newcomers with platforming.
Augus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019   #6226
Zwip-Zwap Zapony

Suggestion 1: A setting to set a "maximum multiplier" for the GUI scale in resolutions above 320x200.
At 1920x1080, the default GUI scale multiplier is 5, which has a nice for standard GUI stuff like letters, but any graphics displayed at half size (such as life icons while in-game, or level emblems in menus) thusly have a multiplier of 2.5, causing the graphic to alternate between a pixel being 2 and 3 pixels wide/tall, which looks bad to me.
I would therefore like to cap the GUI scale multiplier at 4, so that half-size graphics don't alternate in pixel size, so that I can get a more "consistent" pixel size in the GUI.

It would be extra nice if this could be made to not affect the title screen (main menu, yes, but SRB2 logo, no), and also extra nice if graphics displayed with the V_PERPLAYER flag could get a separate setting (so that I could do a scale cap of 4 for single player, and 2 or 3 or such for split-screen if 4 is too big). But even without these things, a single game-wide GUI scale multiplier cap setting would be very appreciated by me.

Suggestion 2: An option to "un-squish" the HUD in split-screen mode. When playing with a friend, I'd rather take an occasional half-lack of mod support (as in v2.1) over the HUD being annoying to look at even without mods (as in v2.2).
If general HUD size is a problem, suggestion 1 might be beneficial for higher resolutions.

Suggestion 3: If title cards (e.g. "Green Flower Zone 1") are shown "globally" at the start of a level, not something that one player might see while another doesn't, removing the V_PERPLAYER flag from title card stuffs might also be nice, so that it displays nicely centered in the window rather than each split-screen player getting their own title card that always says the same thing as the other's.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019   #6227
Frostav

Minecarts are way too easy right now IMO. Switching is automatic (you can't over/undershoot it) and the speed they move is sloooooow. They should be affected by slopes like characters already are, and perhaps they should get a little bit more elaborate, with more alternate pathways and speed boosters. The minecart sections of ACZ2 are weirdly linear given how sprawling the rest of the act is.
Frostav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019   #6228
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

The Minecart sections in ACZ2 ate all of my lives first time I went through it, don't think it needs to be more complicated tbh.
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019   #6229
time gear

I would be all for an unlockable bonus level dedicated to more difficult minecart puzzles. Would be a really fun and neat thing for the extra levels level select screen.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019   #6230
Latius
Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter

Due to the new Luahooks() function only being able to be called once per game session, I would like to suggest that those who use Luahooks identify themselves by being VLH_ (or at least have the H added) to show that they use Luahooks.

(Good thing I changed the prefix to E for EHA maps...)

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Latius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019   #6231
toaster
トースタちゃん

Do you mean reserveLuaBanks? Because that requires the creation of a custom savedata to use, and you can't stack custom savedatas already, so...
Old 12-26-2019   #6232
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

CA_BOUNCE doesn't use actionspd for anything. Why not use it as a toggle for whether the character should have their momentum halted upon activating it or not? Or maybe use actionspd to modify how much it should be changed.

(tried to have multiability bounce but tapping the button repeateadly makes it double as a pseudo slow fall due to it zeroing z speed so that's a no go)
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019   #6233
Frostav

Quote:
Originally Posted by time gear View Post
I would be all for an unlockable bonus level dedicated to more difficult minecart puzzles. Would be a really fun and neat thing for the extra levels level select screen.

One idea for way later in development--i.e when all the main content is complete and they're just polishing the game--I had was a separate "challenge" mode of, say, 20-40 super hard microlevels, each focused on taking a particular gimmick (minecarts, gravity switchers, etc.) to its absolute limit in a way the main stages can't due to their scope and variety. Probably unlocked after beating the main campaign at least once.
Frostav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019   #6234
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

I'd like to request lua resources for creating and managing bots. Specifically: I need a way to enable/disable traits like the SP bot respawning, taking damage behavior, etc. I also wish for access to a function that allows for the creation and removal of bot players within the game.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019   #6235
softchassis

I think a very basic drop shadow underneath the player character's sprite would be of benefit. Nothing fancy or rendered with opengl or anything, just something like this old add-on from TehRealSalt, which simply renders a static circle underneath the player at all times.

I feel like this would better ease in new players to SRB2's control scheme, as most 3D platformers have a basic drop shadow which serves to let the player know where they'll land when they hit the ground. Implementing a simple drop shadow like this would give players a more visual way to gauge and get used to how characters move and interact with each other, and the speed and the way 3D space is presented in the game.

(If this has been suggested as a feature already I apologize, but I did search around the forums first before signing up to post this)
softchassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019   #6236
Sinny33
I am Metaltron Mouse on Dis

Second Color in Vanilla SRB2. That would be cool since Fang now is playable and has cowboy stuff on him. That would be cool since that it'll give more customization to others in multiplayer.

Last edited by Sinny33; 12-27-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Sinny33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019   #6237
Eliwood

Increase the speed cap for ground speed movement. Right now it's ridiculous that you cannot gain any speed as Amy or Fang when hitting a side-ways spring just because the cap is so ridiculously tiny. I shouldn't have to constantly do frame perfect jump button inputs to maintain my speed on those things.
Eliwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019   #6238
"Lat'"
Stop it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliwood View Post
Increase the speed cap for ground speed movement. Right now it's ridiculous that you cannot gain any speed as Amy or Fang when hitting a side-ways spring just because the cap is so ridiculously tiny. I shouldn't have to constantly do frame perfect jump button inputs to maintain my speed on those things.
Following this up to say that momentum should also be gained when running down slopes. Characters that can't spin are unsatisfying to play because they have no beneficial interactions with slopes, all they do is slow them down when they have to go up them. Running down slopes feels both unnatural and extremely unsatisfying:

Furhtermore, I feel like any momentum earned from sideways springs (or ANY OTHER SOURCE, for that matter) should also be kept on the ground, in the above gif, I used Amy's hammer on the springs, and the tiny bit of speed I originally gained from it was instantly deleted by the ground friction which will INSTANTLY DELETE any speed above your normalspeed when running. It makes the physics feel extremely stiff, whereas if momentum could be kept and gained down slopes, Amy in particular would be way more fun to play as, seeing as her ability hardly has any use at all when interacting with springs:

As for Sonic, he could finally be moving fast through the usage of a single thok without needing to be constantly mashing the jump key like a braindead idiot:

tldr: the only limit normalspeed should have is how much you can accelerate, not how fast you can actually move
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019   #6239
fickleheart
ms reflec beat stan

To single out one point without commenting on the rest:

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
As for Sonic, he could finally be moving fast through the usage of a single thok without needing to be constantly mashing the jump key like a braindead idiot:
This in particular makes Sonic even more overpowered in any multiplayer game mode, AND makes speed shoes practically worthless. The one thing that attempts to balance thok in that case is that you can only keep that speed in the air, where you have less control.

My personal opinion on how to solve this is that characters moving above their normalspeed (scaled up for things like speed shoes, to keep those worthwhile) would have less horizontal control than normal. Braking should still be as responsive as always so that they can save themselves, but by gradually reducing the player's ability to turn as they go above their normalspeed, it would add a natural-feeling challenge to maintaining high speed.

I don't mind either way, though. I like the nospin characters being deliberately slower-paced and harder to go fast with than the others, since it gives them a nice contrast.
fickleheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019   #6240
"Lat'"
Stop it

Well I suppose I should've elaborated more on the thok, simply put, it should just be weaker to go along with this (45~52 fracs?), this enables Sonic to run faster than average if doing so is a good idea. In turn, I do think thok should allow you to redirect all of the momentum you have above its default speed, that way, it will give Sonic an incentive to want to charge a full 70 fracs spindash so that his thok can keep the 70 fracs thrust for as long as Sonic is able to keep his speed up as the thok right now makes the spindash an utterly useless redundant, slower alternative in 99% of the scenarios. The extra 10 fracs aren't worth losing 2 full seconds in charging time.

Here's a quick mock up of what that could be like, allowing Sonic to redirect all of his momentum quickly.

The catch is that any character with the spindash could also just run at those speeds (Tails is clearly keeping up with me there!), they just wouldn't have the thok to be able to easily keep that momentum while making ridiculous turns.

Personal feeling of mine, but I've also lost any care for multiplayer balance in favor of how a character feels to use. The multiplayer gamemodes are fundamentally flawed to begin with IMO and that's the root of the problem, so while I certainly don't claim to know how to even remotely fix these, I wouldn't butcher characters to try and give them some kind of weird even playing field in those side gamemodes.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote