Are SOCs still a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I had no idea where to put this.) I have one ridiculously stupid question, are SOC(s) still a thing and around or no? I had this question in my mind for the lest few days.

(You use them whenever you make a level header)
But, Lua pretty much replaced SOC, it's much more flexible.

There are still many things in SOC which Lua cannot modify directly:

* level headers (as already mentioned)
* cutscenes (not that anyone uses those kind anymore though)
* emblems
* unlockables and condition sets
* character select entries
* general game settings, such as the gamedata file or what SP stage you start with on a new save file
* fades (a feature new to 2.1)

So yes, SOCs are still a thing. And no, Lua does not exactly "replace" all of SOC's features, even the parts that most people used it for back in the day (that is, custom objects and states) are still usable with SOC (even Lua can do them too now).

Last edited:
There are still many things in SOC which Lua cannot modify directly:

* level headers (as already mentioned)
* cutscenes (not that anyone uses those kind anymore though)
* emblems
* unlockables and condition sets
* character select entries
* general game settings, such as the gamedata file or what SP stage you start with on a new save file
* fades (a feature new to 2.1)

So yes, SOCs are still a thing. And no, Lua does not exactly "replace" all of SOC's features, even the parts that most people used it for back in the day (that is, custom objects and states) are still usable with SOC (even Lua can do them too now).

Pretty much what this guy said... although I have not heard of Lua that much. I assume it's some sort of programming language. I also assume that SOCs are much easier to make basic objects, like flowers or sound emitters. I see both having ups and downs. But then again, I should not be speaking, since I am inexperienced in both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back