Enough is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Hog

(Damn Firefox crashing, looks like I'll have to start over...)

Alright, first off, I'm not leaving (unless I'm somehow banned for this post), so this isn't one of those lousy "I'M LEAVING BUT NOT REALLY SO GIVE ME ATTENTION" threads that seem so common on the Internets.

Lately I've been noticing various downward trends on this forum. I can't believe I actually have to DO this for some of you, but let me spell out a few of these trends for you; maybe you'll agree, maybe you won't, but this is my personal take on the matter.

First off, all these new threads lately... most of them boil down into "LOOK AT THIS IMAGE!" or "WATCH THIS MOVIE!" or "LISTEN TO THIS SONG, IT FUNNY!" All I'm going to say is - stop. Just STOP. I can appreciate a funny image, movie or song as much as the other guy, but we don't need a new freakin' thread for each and every one. Bigboi's already helped put an end to the movie side of things, seeing as we now have a sticky for that, but even still I see people blatantly ignoring that. A general rule of thumb - if somebody already has a "LOOK AT THIS IMAGE!" or "LISTEN TO THIS SONG, IT FUNNY!" thread on the first page or so, use that thread instead of making a new one. This is common forum courtesy, people; it's the same here as it is pretty much everywhere else on the entire Internet.

Speaking of courtesy, I've noticed a lack of it from a lot of the newcomers. Let me brief, here:
  • Learn to spell. I should point out it's technically against the rules here to be unable to spell for anything, and for good reason - it almost ALWAYS makes you look like a complete idiot. Firefox 2 has an automatic spell-checker for you - USE IT. If you don't want to use Firefox, though, you can still find ways to check that your spelling is alright. This is, of course, assuming you're not like me and already work hard to keep your spelling in tip-top shape - it'll REALLY help you pretty much everywhere. If your awful spelling won't get you through English class, why would it be appreciated on the Internet? If anything, it's even LESS tolerated. This goes for punctuation, too.
  • Quit coming up with spammy posts. I'm serious, when making replies, you should always post on-topic instead of coming up with random nonsense (there are far better ways of being funny - random nonsense rarely ever is) or random complaints that have absolutely nothing to do with anything else in the thread. Hate somebody's sig? Make another topic if there isn't already one. And I know I covered this already, but:
  • Stop making duplicate topics. Always check the stickied threads first, and then ensure no such topic exists on at LEAST the first two pages. In fact, heck, do a Search, too. This is not ezBoard where the Search feature is absolute crap; it actually does what it's supposed to do: find threads on various topics. Use it. Because remember, it is ALWAYS better to post in an EXISTING thread than to start a new one. All doing the latter will do is REALLY piss everyone else off. I've also noticed this being a problem when it comes to topics on the big video games that are coming out - we have a thread on the 360 Sonic the Hedgehog readily available, and the instant a new shred of info comes out, somebody makes a new thread. NOT what is supposed to happen - you bump up the old topic with the new info and keep it going.
  • Posting in all caps is almost NEVER a good idea - it almost always implies screaming, which almost always coincides with flaming, which is prohibited most everywhere. Instead, save your caps for EMPHASIS - it helps an awful lot.
  • Don't come here assuming we're automatically going to respect you. It takes effort to EARN that respect. Violating any of the above automatically makes it harder to keep such respect, while making sure to obey it all, as well as the rules of the board, almost always makes you a valuable member. Actually changing your ways to obey these rules, and consistently keeping it as such, is another good way of going about things if you've already lost your respect - it makes it MUCH easier to earn that respect back.
Now, for a personal peeve - character WADs. I swear, it seems like that's ALL you people are capable of all of a sudden. 'Kay, why? This forum used to have lots of cool levels to play, thereby extending the lifespan of the game considerably. I'll be honest, though - playing as a new character RARELY adds much new to the experience. So no, I do NOT want to play as your crappy fan character. No, I do NOT want to play as Sonic from some other 3D Sonic game, when SSN's sprite more than does the job. I'm content with what there is, so unless you're going to bring something genuinely new to the table, or something that everybody's been wanting for a good while, I don't see why you should be making it. Of course, this is ONLY my opinion; it could be that there really IS a market here for that kind of thing. Personally, though, it's just gotten to the point where I don't care anymore about new characters.

Well, that's my rant for now; I'll probably add more as I think of it.

God bless you, Shadow Hog. Thank you for posting what none of us had the balls to.

Dude... you are wonderful... Now I hope that n00bs would stop posting how they are and start posting more intellegent topics...

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
Dude... you are wonderful... Now I hope that n00bs would stop posting how they are and start posting more intellegent topics...
I don't think so.... it may be possible but... no. :(

how bout making this an Announcement on all the sub-forums then?, Im sure n00bs would read that

Omega the Hedgehog said:
Shadow Hog be praised. You really deserve administrator status, you know that?

Fixed.

You know, Shadow Hog, you probably don't have to worry about being banned. We were overdue for a topic like this. Very overdue.

I'm quite surprised you still have the mind to do this, Shadow Hog. As for myself, I've quite basically just given up on these forums. This situation did not exist before, and this can only mean that the current administration is simply not sufficient to keep the forums at a sane level. Because, let's face it: idiots are always idiots and thusly must be dealt with directly, not try to reason with them, because they just won't listen.

When Mystic said on IRC a couple of weeks ago that the forums needed reworking and they were gonna do something about it, I thought that finally the rules would actually be enforced and that the forums would be stricter. Turns out the only thing we got was a handfull of new moderators which can do what, lock, edit and delete topics and issue warnings? That doesn't help when the rules themselves aren't being applied.

That being said, I'm gladly ******* on these forums until someone decides to stand up and bloody do something about it. It's just not worth it.

Neo Chaotikal said:
I'm quite surprised you still have the mind to do this, Shadow Hog. As for myself, I've quite basically just given up on these forums. This situation did not exist before, and this can only mean that the current administration is simply not sufficient to keep the forums at a sane level. Because, let's face it: idiots are always idiots and thusly must be dealt with directly, not try to reason with them, because they just won't listen.

When Mystic said on IRC a couple of weeks ago that the forums needed reworking and they were gonna do something about it, I thought that finally the rules would actually be enforced and that the forums would be stricter. Turns out the only thing we got was a handfull of new moderators which can do what, lock, edit and delete topics and issue warnings? That doesn't help when the rules themselves aren't being applied.

That being said, I'm gladly ******* on these forums until someone decides to stand up and bloody do something about it. It's just not worth it.

seriousbusiness.jpg

It's only as serious as you consider it, Bigboi. Being this a fundamental part of a community I love is pretty serious to me.

But hey, you're free to go lol internets on the whole forums, it's not like 75% of the newcomers haven't already and gotten away with it.

Hey, if there was an "I completely agree" image macro, I'd post it.

You know, I wouldn't doubt it if there was.

Time to hit Macrochan!

...wait, it's down. Crap.

Oh well, best I can find is "I'd hit it". That work, despite the sexual innuendo?

Neo Chaotikal said:
But hey, you're free to go lol internets on the whole forums, it's not like 75% of the newcomers haven't already and gotten away with it.

I swear, Maybe if there was an op on this forum, he would probably just ban the n00b on sight of it was against the rules... Just like I would do if I were an op :?

Probably Just ban for a day, and then the week, then a month, If it goes past a month... Then a Perm-Ban >_>

I wish I was at least a moderator. I'm on this board, like, 24/7. But of course, there's no way in Hell that anyone here would trust me.

Bigboi said:
But of course, there's no way in Hell that anyone here would trust me.

I would probably trust you with being a moderator...
You could just delete/lock topics that seem like they're spam... or whatever...

I wouldn't screw over the message board or anything, if that's what you're saying.

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
No thats not what im saying, and I know you wouldnt do that...

I know a couple of people that probably think I would. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back