Requested rule modification (well, consideration, anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Hog

In Releases: I understand the desire to have the filename included in the topic title. But seriously, does it have to be the topic title itself? You could just place it anywhere in the post and it'd still turn up a result in the search engine.

I dunno, it's just that always seeing the filenames looks... clunky. Plus this'd make multiple-WAD packages easier, since instead of naming ONLY the "most important one", you could list them all in the post itself so that anyone downloading it will find the relevant files therein. Plus that frees up valuable topic title-space, you know?

Of course, this is hardly the first time that I and the rules have been at odds (banning image sigs wouldn't be so bad, if you hadn't shrunk the avatar limit at the same time and never brought it back up when the primary offender, image sigs, was removed), and I doubt it'll be the last, but seriously, it just looks unseemly for a forum, really.

I agree. I would've said this earlier but mods locked the topic for said rule. Having the filename in the topic title is rather unnecessary and ugly looking. It doesn't do the releases forum any favours really. Besides, regardless of such people are still asking where to find some wads. (Somewhat) Though, not being much of a Releases person myself I suppose I've lived with it.

Shu doth disagree. It seems to me that after this rule was implemented we have had 17% less n00b topics of,"Wheres does i find shdoqw.wad lolololololololololol drakonms flam me!!!!!!!!!!111111111one!!!!eleven!!!!forty six".

And also this forum has the second largest avvy size of any I've ever seen. Most are just 100x100 and the official Soul Calibur forums are like 50x50....its horrible.

EDIT: And most forums the size of this one I've seen don't have sig images.

I agree that the filenames don't exactly have to be in the topic name, just anywhere in the post. They'll still come up on search.

However, I would like to add that the topic name SHOULD convey very clearly what it contains.
'Cus if you search for a wad, and come up with 20 results, odds are you're not gonna look in the topic named "LOL THIS IS AWESOME WAD U LIKE", or "I made this wad for you to enjoy." or "This is another recolor, folks!".
It should be like "The Mystic Realm 4.4", or "The Homestar Runner Character WAD", or "Turquoise Greenery Emerald Valley Hill Place Thing Location of Green... lands, act 3"

Oh, most assuredly; I wouldn't want to check out "LOL THSI WAD ROOLZ" any more than you would; to be honest, I was only going to use the free space to present the name of the level in a cleaner format (you know, "Gigantic Cavity Zone" as opposed to "scr_giganticcavity.wad").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back