Confirmed Tails can't fly if he flies, then jumps during aerial stepup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopper

Does not use Sonic.
Topic title.

Tails tends to be unable to fly if he lands from flight then jumps right away: aka, next tic. It may happen on occasions other than flight, but I've pretty much confirmed flight. No screenshots/videos, because this is hard to reproduce on an ad-hoc basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you holding the jump button? This happens a lot when my cousins try to play SRB2 by the first time.

No, I'm not. Why would I be? I'm flying, hitting the ground and jumping, and then not flying again. Believe it or not, I'm somewhat of an oldbie.

I think it's because you jumped so quickly off the ground, that the game doesn't realize that you've landed. The game probably takes a little more than a few tics to register that you have landed.

I think it's because you jumped so quickly off the ground, that the game doesn't realize that you've landed. The game probably takes a little more than a few tics to register that you have landed.

This is probably it, as it's also possible to jump off spikes if you're quick enough. It would make sense that the game not registering the landing would cause both of these.

Last edited:
Animated PNG, If you use internet explorer you're just out of luck.

I got it down to 1 tic of land time, but no dice. Were there any other circumstances? Did it happen on a specific map? Are you sure it's not your keyboard or something else?

Well, I spent less time on the ground than that. It was practically one millisecond on the ground, where you wouldn't be able to see Tails' running animation.

Edit: Sorry if I'm not making any sense. I just jumped off the ground literally lightning fast while going at really fast speeds.

Last edited:
Well, I spent less time on the ground than that. It was practically one millisecond on the ground, where you wouldn't be able to see Tails' running animation.

Edit: Sorry if I'm not making any sense. I just jumped off the ground literally lightning fast while going at really fast speeds.

Look at the time; it's in tics mode, so it's counting the individual frames of the game. There is no shorter time period within SRB2 than a tic, though the time in between frames is longer in the animation. I just have the delay on the landing frames lengthened so that you can more easily that I'm only on the ground for one tic.

You can just count frames by looking at TIME in the upper left, since it's showing the number of individual frames in SRB2 instead of seconds. As you can see, I spend literally one frame on the ground; it is physically impossible for me to be on it for less time.

There's nothing I can do about the browser showing the whole thing a little slower than it happened in SRB2, but sure, here's the recording without the freeze frame.

Well, I don't know why it's doing that, but I was definitely flying faster than that.
OH! I remembered. I was strafing to increase the speed and spin flying so I was moving extremely fast, probably around Sonic's thok speed, more or less.

Well, I don't know why it's doing that, but I was definitely flying faster than that.
OH! I remembered. I was strafing to increase the speed and spin flying so I was moving extremely fast, probably around Sonic's thok speed, more or less.

That was from a max spin. Again, the browser plays the frames back slower than SRB2 does, so it may look a little slower, but it wasn't.

...also, using strafe to increase flight speed hasn't worked since 1.09.4. It sounds to me more like you may have ran into a combination of keys on your keyboard that doesn't work.

Here is an example [X]...put this in your replay folder, and replay GFZ2 as Tails to see it.

The replay is me jumping at the corner, flying for a very short time, landing, jumping and mashing my jump button to fly.

Like others have said, hard to reproduce. I'd also like to add this can happen to Sonic and Knuckles.

Here is an example [X]...put this in your replay folder, and replay GFZ2 as Tails to see it.

The replay is me jumping at the corner, flying for a very short time, landing, jumping and mashing my jump button to fly.

Like others have said, hard to reproduce. I'd also like to add this can happen to Sonic and Knuckles.

I've looked at it, and after trying the same thing you showed in the replay, it worked; in fact, it was trivially easy to do it again and again and again once I did it the first time... but only when jumping at a ledge.

Reviewing the footage frame-by-frame, I noticed first that tails never actually landed(never used standing sprites), and that the frame before tails started using the jump sprites, the ledge "stepup" happened; my guess is that it's possible to jump on the tic the stepup occurs, making it so that the player never enters S_PLAY_STND, or any other state used while on the ground. That would pretty much explain why you don't get the jump ability back.

So yeah.

Last edited:
...also, using strafe to increase flight speed hasn't worked since 1.09.4. It sounds to me more like you may have ran into a combination of keys on your keyboard that doesn't work.
For the record, strafeflying involves going on a diagonal, and only works if you have a certain amount of speed already, it's not pure strafing.

And the stepup thing explains why I couldn't do it on demand... I should have known. XP

For the record, strafeflying involves going on a diagonal, and only works if you have a certain amount of speed already, it's not pure strafing.

That is what I mean, though. Strafing while moving forward or backward decreases overall speed so that going diagonally can only be as fast as just going forward, to the side, or backwards. It's been like that since 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back